Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
    In before r3v.
    There will be no shenanigans.
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

Comment

Needs more 5 speed swap.

Comment

Day 2:

Thanks for all the comments you have posted! No plans for the car yet other than to get it running properly and change the brakes so its safe for me to drive when I turn 16 next March.

Today we started with removing the fan clutch so we could get to the timing belt. We had some problems with taking off the fan clutch because we didn't have the right tools but finally got the bolt loose with a 32mm wrench from the bicycle store.

Next we removed everything to get to the timing belt. We did have a problem getting past the rotor because the 3 mm Allen head screws were stripped by the previous owner. My dad just broke the rotor so we could take off the upper timing belt cover. It was a pain!

After that we got the timing belt off where we saw this:

Have you ever seen a timing belt fail in this way?
        The teeth were stripped down at the bottom of the engine on the crank.

Well either way we continued on disconnecting all the intake hoses and electrical plugs to get ready to remove the head. We have been using the Bentley manual that my dad had when he used to have a BMW E30. We also found a few links on the internet that are helping us along.

It looks like the only thing left holding us up to get the head off is the exhaust manifolds. They are causing my dad a lot of troubles. We have got all the nuts off except the 3 bottom nuts on the manifold closest to the firewall.

Any tips on getting these off?

We tried taking the 3 nuts off where the manifold connects to each exhaust pipe but they won't budge. Either way they are soaking in this fluid my dad calls PB blaster to hopefully loosen them up.

Well.. That's it for now. We probably won't be back on it till next week so stay tuned!

Comment

For the exhaust manifold, it will be heavier, but just unbolt the exhaust from the manifold and take the head off with the manifold still attached. That way you just flip the head upside down on the work bench to get to those pesky nuts on the bottom of the manifold.
          sigpic
          "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

inb4 perv r3v comments.

Which I am in shock haven't happened already. Getting soft around here.

Comment

I would also just leave the exhaust manifolds on. With them out of the car it would be a good chance to clean them up inside and out, sandblast and then repaint with some high temperature header paint. Having nice looking manifolds cleans the engine bay up a lot.

Hopefully there's no damage to the piston/cylinder with the broken rocker arm.

Also, that looks like a really clean e30! Should be a really nice first car; it's cool to see them revived and driven again.
              My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Redfox View Post
                inb4 perv r3v comments.

Which I am in shock haven't happened already. Getting soft around here.
                I would expect in this thread, the upmost dignity even for our lowest standard members.
                1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                  I would expect in this thread, the upmost dignity even for our lowest standard members.

I wouldn't put anything past some of them. *cough* Robert Scheiring *cough*

Comment

Excellent project! Your dad sounds like a pretty cool guy to get you an e30 for your first car.
                    - Josh
                    1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                    Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Awesome first car! It was mine too, 5spd swap and you'll have alotta fun driving it
                      Check Out My Photography

aPapester Photography Facebook

Comment

My first car was a 1976 2002 :)
                        sigpic
                        "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                          My first car was a 1976 2002 :)
                          YOU LUCKY BASTARD:hitler:

Anyways, welcome to the fun and your soon addiction! I got my first car as an E30 as well because honestly there isnt a better car for us young drivers. The process on mine has been very slow until now but it looks like you have a little rougher start then I did although I just did a timing belt this past weekend as well! Good luck with it all!
                          1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
                          BMW

Comment

My Baby sister(19) has an e30 and she really does not desire to work on it at all. Glad to see another young lady joining the ranks.
                            R3v is the best place for ANY BMW info.

Welcome to r3v, I hope your Dad is the one posting here...
                            ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                            ~ '87 535
                            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

DELPHIN!!!! Sweet project!
                              1986 911 Supercharged Frakenstrat/Stripped
                              1987 325is Delphin/Black (Olga)
                              1988 M3 Zinno/Natur (Elsa)

Manual or STFU

E30 Chapter of BMW Car Club of America
                              E30 Oktoberfest 2017

Comment

Good job to you for helping your Pop fix up your first car. And good job to your Dad too. It's the same color and year as my first e30. Only mine was a 5-speed. Love it and don't ever sell it. It will just haunt you if you do...

edit: It is real easy to get to the 3 exhaust flange nuts from under the car with a ratchet, about 18" of ratchet extensions, and a wobble adapter. The two most rearward manifold nuts are best removed (IMO) with a 1/4" ratchet and 12mm socket with a 4" extension. The third, "hard-to-get-to" nut, doesn't need the extension.
                                Last edited by Ether-D; 08-03-2013, 08:33 PM.
                                Originally posted by Andy.B
                                Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                                1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                                ~~~~~~~~~~
                                I was born on 3/25…
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X