New Owner: 1992 (E30) BMW 325i Cabriolet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmm......that noise......

Spray a little belt dressing or WD40 onto the accessory pulleys as they rotate and see if the noise changes or goes away.

Just to confirm the timing belt isn't rubbing on the inside of the timing cover.

Comment

Originally posted by M_3_X View Post
      Agree. Not sure why your mechanic didn't do it at the same time with the timing belt job. It's best practice.
      I would hope he replaced the water pump?
      Yes, replace water pump.

Comment

Originally posted by JIM1inWisconsin View Post
        Not sure where you are with your idle problems but could be the chip. Had idle problems with two of my E30's which were alleviated when upgraded chip was installed.
        I am clueless when it comes to this "chip" talk. I'm guessing a chip for the ECM? Any good thread to get me read up on how to upgrade this, etc?

Comment

I purchased a 93 325ic a few months ago with rough idle issue and unable to pass smog at 15mph test. Checked all vac related components, replaced fuel injectors, tested fuel system, O2 sensor, Temp sensors, ignition components, AFM. Finally performed a compression test which revealed Cyl 3 and 6 had low compression. Leakdown test narrowed to intake valve on cyl3 and both valves on 6 (compression was so low that it wasn't firing and dumping fuel straight through exhaust, hence rough idle and high emissions). I'm going to increase valve clearance on said valves to .012" and try some ACDelco x66p solution to clean carbon buildup and see if it helps. Otherwise, I'll need to pull the head and re-seat/replace valves. Not looking forward to that :/

I'd suggest do at least a compression test before spending money on replacement parts.

Comment

Originally posted by salvageland View Post
            I purchased a 93 325ic a few months ago with rough idle issue and unable to pass smog at 15mph test. Checked all vac related components, replaced fuel injectors, tested fuel system, O2 sensor, Temp sensors, ignition components, AFM. Finally performed a compression test which revealed Cyl 3 and 6 had low compression. Leakdown test narrowed to intake valve on cyl3 and both valves on 6 (compression was so low that it wasn't firing and dumping fuel straight through exhaust, hence rough idle and high emissions). I'm going to increase valve clearance on said valves to .012" and try some ACDelco x66p solution to clean carbon buildup and see if it helps. Otherwise, I'll need to pull the head and re-seat/replace valves. Not looking forward to that :/

I'd suggest do at least a compression test before spending money on replacement parts.
            I just passed smog (after new O2 sensor) with flying colors. All scores were like, literally 15/20 or lower. I was shocked.

I don't think I'd be able to pass smog with that significant of an issue.

Comment

Hey all!

Just an update: had ALL belts done (except timing, as I just had that done). Didn't fix the squeak. Mechanic says it "sounds like something slipping" in the front end. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Republican View Post
                Hey all!

Just an update: had ALL belts done (except timing, as I just had that done). Didn't fix the squeak. Mechanic says it "sounds like something slipping" in the front end. Thoughts?
                Was the TB tensioner changed?
                Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

car

Sweet looking car

Comment

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
                    Was the TB tensioner changed?
                    Not to my knowledge.

I'm thinking of bringing it to a different mechanic - possibly one with a bit more knowledge of E30s to get this one figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by 325isman View Post
                      Sweet looking car
                      Thanks, man.

Little update: I'm moving from sunny San Diego to Denver, Colorado!

Just put the deposit down to have a hard top shipped from Florida so I can keep this baby with me no matter the weather! I'll do a larger update soon once I get a few more kinks worked out. Stay tuned!

Comment

Nice job. I recently purchased a 1990 325i Vert. Did a bunch of maintenance including motor mounts, tranny mounts, tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, front and rear end links, rear sway bar bushings, oil pan gasket.

I'm also thinking about getting a hard top but they seem very expensive. How much did yours cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Echo30V View Post
                          Nice job. I recently purchased a 1990 325i Vert. Did a bunch of maintenance including motor mounts, tranny mounts, tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, front and rear end links, rear sway bar bushings, oil pan gasket.

I'm also thinking about getting a hard top but they seem very expensive. How much did yours cost?
                          I'm paying quite a premium, since I need one ASAP. It's going to be $2,500, which includes shipping to Denver, CO.

Comment

Yeah, that’s exactly what I heard they are going for. Good luck with it. I had a 1999 M3 vert with a hard top (sorry I sold that car) and it looked better than the regular coupe when it’s on.

Comment

i have a hard top for sale if anyone is interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X