84 318i barely runs, unless AFM is UNplugged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 318i barely runs, unless AFM is UNplugged

Where are my E30 M10 gurus? My new-to-me 84 318i was described as having a likely ICV and or vacuum leak problem. Seller said it would start but not hold idle. I've been messing with it a bit today and found that it will start, but it's almost impossible to keep it running unless you keep the throttle about 1/2 way down, then it stays running, horribly, like it's on 3 cylinders. You cannot bring the revs up at all. When the car first starts, I can hear the cold start valve spraying and the car revs up fairly smoothly for just a second (burning off that shot of fuel is my guess).

I have not found any massive vac leaks, I tried blocking off the ICV completely to see if there was any difference (there was none). The car seems to have been fairly well maintained, PO was a doctor who was not afraid to fix things when they broke. I tried unplugging the O2 sensor, makes no difference.

Here's the strange thing. When I unplug the AFM, the car runs WAY better than without it plugged in. Not saying it runs well, but I can easily rev the engine, and as long as I keep the revs up, it runs OK. Car will not idle at all, but it doesn't idle at all with it plugged in either. I can't understand how the car can run like this with the AFM unplugged, it makes no sense at all, especially the part where it will freely and smoothly rev when I press the gas. I would expect it to maybe start and run, but not rev when I push on the gas (since there's no signal from the AFM telling the ECU that the flapper is opening more).

Any ideas would be appreciated. Keep in mind that I am far from a newb when it comes to E30's (or many BMW's for that matter), and the above are just my observations from a preliminary look at the car. Based on what I've seen, I feel pretty sure that the fuel pump (pressure) is OK, the timing is generally OK, injectors are all working OK, plugs/wires/cap/rotor are all OK. The issue is with the fuel/air mix and/or fuel delivery, but I'm not sure what's going on.

I feel pretty sure
    What makes you feel this way?

The car's running better without the afm because the afm's confusing it. It's a classic
    air leak problem- if the car KNOWS the afm's not there, it defaults to a 'get this fool home if you can'
    scenario, and that's better than the erroneous data that the afm's generating.
    Or that it's generating from multiple 'bad' data sources.

Because if you're sure there's no real air leak (honestly, a good solid grope of the rubber boot
    will usually do it)
    then the next place I would head is fuel pressure, followed by a bunch of ignition testing,
    (cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, etc)
    then checking injector spray pattern.

Honestly, I'd check the injectors earlier, but they're a lot harder to get at then the
    ignition, and ya gotta rule all of it out...

But being an old guy, I'm not very much in touch with my feelings...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      What makes you feel this way?

The car's running better without the afm because the afm's confusing it. It's a classic
      air leak problem- if the car KNOWS the afm's not there, it defaults to a 'get this fool home if you can'
      scenario, and that's better than the erroneous data that the afm's generating.
      Or that it's generating from multiple 'bad' data sources.

Because if you're sure there's no real air leak (honestly, a good solid grope of the rubber boot
      will usually do it)
      then the next place I would head is fuel pressure, followed by a bunch of ignition testing,
      (cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, etc)
      then checking injector spray pattern.

Honestly, I'd check the injectors earlier, but they're a lot harder to get at then the
      ignition, and ya gotta rule all of it out...

But being an old guy, I'm not very much in touch with my feelings...

t

I'll be the first to admit, that it's just a "feeling", but I've got a pretty good feel for this sort of thing. On my list of things to check is fuel pressure (using a gauge), just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I feel like there's enough fuel pressure based on how the car revs fairly well at ~1/2 throttle when the AFM plug is disconnected, but when the AFM is plugged in, it won't rev at all, and it's almost impossible to keep it running. If the fuel pressure was low, I don't think it would rev at all, under any condition.

As mentioned above, I did a pretty good check for vac leaks, and have not seen/felt/found any. I am VERY familiar with how sneaky some vac leaks can be, and how many problems they can cause.

I'm gonna try to manipulate the AFM flapper door with one hand (AFM plug connected) and the TB with the other to see if I can make it run like that- I've done this before on some other cars (M20 and E21 M10) for testing/diagnostic purposes, just need to get my helper to help.

From one old guy to another, I appreciate the input.

Comment

Update:

Haven't had much time to mess with it, but I have 100% confirmed that the intake boot is in great shape, no cracks, looks fairly new. The other ICV hoses look good too- no cracks that I could see. No other intake leaks/cracks that I can see/hear

I borrowed a friend's car to swap out some parts, swapped AFM and it made NO difference... :( I checked fuel pressure and it runs ~40-44psi, no drops or spikes (measured with a T-fitting at the fuel line that feeds the injector rail).

Plug wires, Cap and rotor visually checked, no issues, appear fairly new. Pulled plugs, they are the correct Bosch non-platinum, properly gapped, they were slightly sooty black but cleaned and re-installed.

Gas tank was getting fairly low (less than 1/4) and fuel smelled a bit skunky (not horribly old, but not fresh), so I added 5 gal of fresh fuel.

Gonna try to work on it some more this weekend.

Comment

thought they needed 46 psi?

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
          Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

Working...
          X