Making Lemonade - Track car 6.0 LSX Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Lemonade - Track car 6.0 LSX Swap

I thought it was about time I made a build thread. I'm super close to being done with the swap. I have a list of small things to finish up but the majority of the work is done.

The car was a 24 hours of lemons race car and has probably 7 or 8 races under it's belt. I don't have time to do the series anymore but I still do 3-5 HPDE events a year and may also to a time attack class with SCCA with the car.

The car:

Engine coming out:

Cleaned up the ending bay:

When pushing hard on the brakes I could see the fire wall flexing, plus this spot was rusty so I welded in some reinforcement plates.

Front subframe reinforced with the garagistic pieces

Subframe back in with E36 rack, my DIY steering joing, and Chase bays BBE

Test fit of the block

Had the heads milled and rebuilt with TSP valves, dual valve springs, and also put in a 228R Cam, new oil pump and timing chain

This is about where I sit right now:

Nice work! That steering shaft is interesting, can you share how you did that?

Also, why was the rear of the car so cut up around the rear windshield?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post

I made the steering shaft using two E34 U joints
      Find MTC, 1452 Steering Coupling Assembly; Swivel Joint; Lower Steering Column to Box SKU: 1012396-32311150489 32311150489 at discount prices in our extensive BMW auto parts catalog. AutohausAZ offers a large selection of MTC parts online. PERMANENT NLA Fits BMW 530i, 535i, 525i, 540i, M5, 740i, 740iL, 528e, 635CSi, 735i & more. 1452 32311151454 W0133-1610382

and this shaft:

It is the perfect diameter and is almost a press fit into the E34 joints. I had to drill a little notch out of the shaft for the bolts to slide through the U-Joints and lock the shaft in place from spinning.

I have less then $75 all in on the shaft.

Comment

Very cool, it's basically the same thing as the E46 steering shaft but with E34 parts.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post

Also we cut apart the rear windshield/trunk area to be able to easily and quickly fill the fuel cell. Every second counts in those pitt stops and this made it super easy to get a dump can directly into the cell without spending big money on a remote fill plate/quick connect.

Comment

Is that a dorman intake manifold?
            Last edited by z28; 01-16-2017, 07:55 PM.
            First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post
              Is that a dormant intake manifold?
              Sure is, and I'm pretty happy with the quality of it so far.

I was struggling find an LS6 manifold for under $400 that was in good shape, and from the reviews this manifold makes very similar power.

Comment

I just noticed I typed dormant instead of dorman...haha.

Yeah, from what I have seen the dorman intake is pretty good it has a fast bottom half, its not a bad intake at all. I already have an ls6 intake manifold but if I didn't I would probably get a dorman. Your swap is looking pretty good, keep up the good work and take lots of pictures
                First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

First start, it fired right up!

Pretty much all I have to now is the exhaust.

Last edited by Bigphil001; 02-12-2017, 03:25 PM. Reason: First start of the engine! https://youtu.be/P3jIWdpP5-s

Comment

Dyno:

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

The car made approx 400 hp. The shop told me that the stock LQ4 injectors are limiting power right now, they maxed some of them out.

Comment

Had a shakedown test at Road america this last weekend and the car was amazing.

The new speed is going to take some adjustment, I was passing corvettes on the straights and pulling on GTR's.

Biggest issue is I am still on the stock calipers and rotors. I overheated the front brakes and experienced some really scary brake fade trying to bring the car down from 150 mph to make a hard 90 degree left turn. Luckily there was a gravel runoff to slow me down and not a wall.

I already ordered a big brake kit for the front, I never want to have that experience again!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigphil001 View Post
                        Had a shakedown test at Road america this last weekend and the car was amazing.

The new speed is going to take some adjustment, I was passing corvettes on the straights and pulling on GTR's.

Biggest issue is I am still on the stock calipers and rotors. I overheated the front brakes and experienced some really scary brake fade trying to bring the car down from 150 mph to make a hard 90 degree left turn. Luckily there was a gravel runoff to slow me down and not a wall.

I already ordered a big brake kit for the front, I never want to have that experience again!

Badass, my man. I'd love to drive Road America in real life sometime.

I'm trying to get my M62 swap finished in time to get it out to Texas World Speedway before it closes.
                        My current E30 M62B44 swap

Comment

Working...
                        X