cooling system questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cooling system questions

So i'm trying to figure out why my heater doesn't work 90% of the time. When I turn the dial i can hear the vent door opening and closing and its not a matter of heat when i'm sitting but none while driving its a matter of no heat 90% of the time and then i'll get random heat for like 20 seconds that goes away and doesn't come back.

I already tried removing the heater core recall valve to see if that was the problem. In doing that today I've learned the following, the car after driving and letting it sit did not heat up to the middle of the temp gauge anymore. Not only that when i touch the hoses the one for the top inlet of the heater core is warm (not hot, warm) and the one on the bottom of the core outlet is cold. Not only that but when i touch the hoses going to the thermostat (top, water pump, and bottom) the top hose is warm but the bottom and water pump ones are cold.

The engine has not overheated while driving which leads me to believe it may be the thermostat is stuck open and not allowing the car to heat up properly. I'm asking though because this is my first e30 and i'm not sure if the findings i noticed are normal. Essentially i'm hoping its not the heater control valve but if the thermostat isn't the issue then what else could it be?

Yup, start with the t-stat. Your i/r thermometer is a big help here.

Also, drive up a steep hill with the heater on full hot.
    This both works the engine AND bleedsthe back of the head...

heh...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Has there been any recent work to the cooling system?

It could be possible to have air in the system

Comment

If anyone is wondering if this got fixed I finally got around to fixing my belt squeal and lo and behold the heater works now. I'm guessing it was either allowing the belt to slip and not spin the water pump enough or it was slipping at the alternator and not providing a consistent voltage signal for the heater control valve.

That said i'm still planning on doing the thermostat and replacing the hoses as i get a little more money set.

Comment

Working...
        X