Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not Another Cheap V8 Swap... (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Another Cheap V8 Swap...

To continue my current state of mind, everything must go. I'm tearing it all out, cleaning what I can reuse and chucking what I don't want/need. I plan on upgrading the interior by projects end so no better time then now right? Its just money :(

[ATTACH]106459[/ATTACH]

Pretty nice seats, posted these online (PA BMW Classifieds) and sold them in a week. BOOM! More cash for car parts..

[ATTACH]106461[/ATTACH]

Yanked the rear diving boards off.....

[ATTACH]106462[/ATTACH]

Take notice to the huge hole we had to cut out near the gas pedal. After pulling up the carpet, three problem spots showed there ugly color. We immediately cut them out and patched the hole with some amateur welding skills but hey, at least the caner is dead and the terrible welds are buried under the carpet :)

[ATTACH]106463[/ATTACH]

Originally I was going to trash this carpet and save the weight, spray bed-liner on the floor and call it a day nut I had a change of heart. Looks pretty nasty so I decided to pressure wash it then paint it with some black carpet dye. Results are amazing! I'll share pictures in a follow up post.

[ATTACH]106464[/ATTACH]
    My Garage
    09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
    09 E92 335i Msport
    09 E70 X5 4.8
    88 325es - Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=383423
    87 325i m50 swap
    87 325es

Comment

Needed a break from pulling things off the car so whats better than some assembly? Spent a few hours putting the motor back together. Everything fit and bolted on nicely. I'm really pleased with the overall design/style of the oil pan. It's apparent Sikky spent time and money on their product development. Today was a good day!

[ATTACH]106476[/ATTACH]

From this angle, you get a good look of the headers. I decided to reuse the "truck" coil packs. From what I read, they perform the same as the F-body LS1 coil packs, just look different. I had to buy new injectors and fuel rails though.

[ATTACH]106472[/ATTACH]

Its actually starting to look like a badass motor. No, the bulky oil filler cap isn't staying.. Ill swap that later once I find a cheapo solution.

[ATTACH]106473[/ATTACH]

I didn't know at the time but do now, the Sikky mounts are upside down :nice: those headers though....

[ATTACH]106474[/ATTACH]

Pulling a late nighter trying to wrap this up, my sidekick is ready to go but looks on with curiosity and confusion at the same time. Shes probably staring at the headers thinking the same thing as I, why are they hanging so low.....? Sikky.... SMH. More on this later

[ATTACH]106475[/ATTACH]
      My Garage
      09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
      09 E92 335i Msport
      09 E70 X5 4.8
      88 325es - Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=383423
      87 325i m50 swap
      87 325es

Comment

:nice: lol So this is when we figured out the motor mounts were upside down. Motor went in and looked like is was meant to be there. The headers made it so tight, had to remove them prior to fitting the motor. We were able to install the passenger side from the top but the drivers side had to go in from under the car.

**Side Note** Be sure to bang out the firewall as directed in the Sikky manual then, bang it out some more. Once you think your done and have plenty of clearance.....bang it out a little more. Trust me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	12278718_771353192969292_5098432477227709244_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	7184606

The Spec Stage 2 clutch that came with the T56 is shot, plate is warped and the teeth are jacked up. Looks like i'll be researching clutches, I know most guys like to run the Z06/LS7 setup but I also hear horror stories about pedal feel and chatter.. Kind of bummed I need to spend more on this, It is what it is.

Name:	r3v17.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	7184607

After a few days and several phone calls, I have some parts on order.

-New Clutch
        -New Shifter

Decided to ditch the B&M shifter while I was at it..
        Last edited by E30Whore; 04-13-2016, 06:08 AM.
        My Garage
        09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
        09 E92 335i Msport
        09 E70 X5 4.8
        87 325i m50 swap
        87 325es

Comment

I went ahead and order Monsters twin disk clutch set up. It wasn't cheap but came highly recommended. The "green" color was a bonus. I swear It had nothing to do with my decision even though its oddly similar to Sikky green. According to the LS guys on the forums, the majority really favor the MGW shifter so I went for it. I'll be sure to post reviews upon completion.

Clutch Spec's:

-Monster LT1 Twin Disk Street Clutch
          -Supports up to 720RWHP

Price: $1,343 Delivered

[ATTACH]106481[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]106482[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]106483[/ATTACH]

Shifter Spec's

MGW F-body T56 Shifter Kit

Price: $250 Delivered

[ATTACH]106480[/ATTACH]

Now that these parts are in, I'll be sending the T56 out to be given a "refresh". Supposedly it was already rebuilt but I wanted to make sure. Better safe than sorry. Unfortunately, this process took a few weeks as the shop was really backed up and my build wasn't a priority.

Time to post up some for sale ads, I need to generate some cash flow. I figured its time to start ordering some suspension components, breaks, rear end components, diff and interior goodies. I have already priced everything out, just procrastinating because its a large chunk of cash I'm not looking forward to spending..

SWAP METER: $13,647
          My Garage
          09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
          09 E92 335i Msport
          09 E70 X5 4.8
          87 325i m50 swap
          87 325es

Comment

A little curious with the budget you have why go with the 5.3? You can find 6.0 and even aluminum 5.7 for not much more than what you spent. You pretty much replaced everything that was originally on the 5.3. Heck you could have gotten a 6.2 short block for under a grand.

PS awesome build, what are the specs on the Cam. Im also running a tick cam and love it.
            Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
            Cab
            billac: 92 LagunengrĂ¼n cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 LagunengrĂ¼n IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
            : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
            88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

Alrighty, If you haven't done so yet, I recommend you start selling your parts. this can take a while so at least post some quality "For Sale" ads. Price aggressively if you want them gone now. I had no idea what to price half this stuff at so I Googled them. After about three weeks, over a hundred discussions with strangers, I sold practically everything I yanked off the car. BOOM!

Exhaust +200
              Smiley Headlights +75
              Dive Boards +50
              Axles +50
              3.73 Diff +350
              Partial 5sp Swap (Trans, Drive Shaft, Shift Linkage) +375
              M20 Motor +300
              Sport Seats +850
              Rear Seat +175
              Mtech Wheel +150

Cash Generated: $2,275

Name:	r3vcash2.JPG
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	7184612

Its been about two weeks since I last visited the shop. On my To Do List is to order the following:

Brakes
              Coilovers
              Axles
              Diff
              Suspension Refresh Kit
              Seats
              Steering Wheel
              Last edited by E30Whore; 04-20-2016, 05:14 AM.
              My Garage
              09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
              09 E92 335i Msport
              09 E70 X5 4.8
              87 325i m50 swap
              87 325es

Comment

Holy crap....it's coming at me so fast I don't know what to comment on.....love how you are detailing it though. This is what I wish we had to go by in starting this build. There have been threads but none have been a pure step by step. Great write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bmk View Post
                  A little curious with the budget you have why go with the 5.3? You can find 6.0 and even aluminum 5.7 for not much more than what you spent. You pretty much replaced everything that was originally on the 5.3. Heck you could have gotten a 6.2 short block for under a grand.

PS awesome build, what are the specs on the Cam. Im also running a tick cam and love it.
                  I went with the Stage 3 "POLLUTER V2" 239/244 Cam. I read great reviews on it.

In the beginning, I was "attempting" to keep cost down. I am planning on turboing this car in the future, my friend Ryan convinced me the Iron Block would be better suited for when that time came. I did shop 5.7's for what felt like eternity and either came up short or people wanted way too much for what they had.

Its funny you mention the 6.2 block, I literally have a Jegs tab open on my computer now:

Get the Best Performance with Chevrolet Performance LS3/L92 6.2L Aluminum Bare Engine Block, 525HP 12623967 parts at JEGS. Shop Now at the Guaranteed Lowest Price!

I was thinking of grabbing this block since I'm approaching completion, went way over budget and now doubt I will ever turbo this thing. While the car goes out for paint/body, I was contemplating swapping everything over and aborting my turbo plans. I have never driven a LS swap e30 and not sure if this will be plenty powerful enough or leave me wanting more.... Its a tough call.
                  My Garage
                  09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                  09 E92 335i Msport
                  09 E70 X5 4.8
                  87 325i m50 swap
                  87 325es

Comment

Originally posted by E30Whore View Post
                    If I found a Trans-Am for 1800, I would have jumped on it too. Good luck with your swap! So far, besides some minor headaches here and there, this isnt going to bad..

I actually got double lucky.....after I jerked the motor and trans I sold the shell for $1500

Comment

In the beginning, I was "attempting" to keep cost down. I am planning on turboing this car in the future, my friend Ryan convinced me the Iron Block would be better suited for when that time came. I did shop 5.7's for what felt like eternity and either came up short or people wanted way too much for what they had.

Its funny you mention the 6.2 block, I literally have a Jegs tab open on my computer now:

Get the Best Performance with Chevrolet Performance LS3/L92 6.2L Aluminum Bare Engine Block, 525HP 12623967 parts at JEGS. Shop Now at the Guaranteed Lowest Price!

I was thinking of grabbing this block since I'm approaching completion, went way over budget and now doubt I will ever turbo this thing. While the car was out for paint/body, I was contemplating swapping everything over and aborting my turbo plans. I have never driven a LS swap e30 and not sure if this will be plenty powerful enough or leave me wanting more.... Its a tough call.

In the end it's about what you want. Mine is going to be a daily and should have no problem getting 300 to the ground with a lot more response. If I need more one day at least it will just be a plug and play at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by 90e30ls View Post
                        Holy crap....it's coming at me so fast I don't know what to comment on.....love how you are detailing it though. This is what I wish we had to go by in starting this build. There have been threads but none have been a pure step by step. Great write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Great Feedback! That's exactly what i'm trying to do man. I searched and found several helpful build threads but they fell short on the details and expenses. This actually cost me time and money because several things we had to "wing it" with trial and error. If your reading it in this post then you know it fits right, the first time! In my opinion, when researching something like this, you want to know cost, timeline, how hard it is and whats entailed to complete it.
                        My Garage
                        09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                        09 E92 335i Msport
                        09 E70 X5 4.8
                        87 325i m50 swap
                        87 325es

Comment

I actually got double lucky.....after I jerked the motor and trans I sold the shell for $1500
                          That's a lot of swap cash. Sounds like you jumped into your build in the positive. That's awesome!

In the end it's about what you want. Mine is going to be a daily and should have no problem getting 300 to the ground with a lot more response. If I need more one day at least it will just be a plug and play at that point.
                          With everything I learned throughout this build, I wouldn't mind building another one. I'm conflicted because this is just a "fun car" so if I were to spend the money again, maybe a different chassis. After all I spent on this car, I would upgrade it by swapping blocks out like mentioned above before building another car :neutral:
                          My Garage
                          09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                          09 E92 335i Msport
                          09 E70 X5 4.8
                          87 325i m50 swap
                          87 325es

Comment

RUST REPAIR SUCKS!

My brain was fried building "online carts" adding dollars and pinching pennies. I took a break and made it a mission to complete the rust repair. After about 8 hours, we cut out a few problem areas and patched the hole. Again, more amateur welding, don't judge me, at least the rust is gone. Once coated and parts are installed, can't see anything anyway.

Name:	r3v75.JPG
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	7184614

Name:	r3v76.JPG
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	7184615

FYI - New parts are on order! Now, the wait game....
                            My Garage
                            09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                            09 E92 335i Msport
                            09 E70 X5 4.8
                            87 325i m50 swap
                            87 325es

Comment

I was thinking of grabbing this block since I'm approaching completion, went way over budget and now doubt I will ever turbo this thing. While the car goes out for paint/body, I was contemplating swapping everything over and aborting my turbo plans. I have never driven a LS swap e30 and not sure if this will be plenty powerful enough or leave me wanting more.... Its a tough call.
                              Here's my If i were you I would feel it out and see what you think. Since you engine is an 06 its a gen IV which has great rods if you decide to go turbo which with out a doubt is the weakest park of LS motors. People are pushing 900 wheel on stock gen IV rods. You have all the components for a great turbo motor, except for the cam which is not ideal at all. You could literally get new 80# injectors, bigger fuel pump, use the stock truck exhaust manifolds which I assume you still have and strap on a s475 or something around a 78/75 turbo and make 700 wheel with boost under 20lbs on your exact motor. And beat on it all day!

Also as a side note note really sure how a cam a large as the one you have will do on a 5.3 might have some scavenging issues.

Now lets talks staying NA I think you will love the powerband of the 5.3 in the e30 especially with a good diff. With that being said I can almost guarantee you will want more :devil:. The power bug with an LS bits you hard. My car stated off as a near stock 6.0 and now makes close to 450 whp and its completely streetable, you get use to it quickly. The e30 is easy to control and predictable with the power. On nitrous @ well over 500whp it gets a bit hairy but really because the powerband isnt super linear, its near instantaneous torque.

So if you think you wanna stay NA go with bigger displacement or stroke the 5.3. If your leaning towards turbo which in the long run given your current motor set up would probably be cheaper then stick with the 5.3. No matter your decision I would encourage you to finish what you have started and enjoy it get use to the way the car handles and drives. If you decide to go for more power do your research and start saving the pennies!
                              Last edited by bmk; 04-12-2016, 08:55 PM.
                              Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
                              Cab
                              billac: 92 LagunengrĂ¼n cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 LagunengrĂ¼n IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
                              : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
                              88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

Not Another Cheap V8 Swap... (Pic Heavy)

Originally posted by bmk View Post
                                Here's my If i were you I would feel it out and see what you think. Since you engine is an 06 its a gen IV which has great rods if you decide to go turbo which with out a doubt is the weakest park of LS motors. People are pushing 900 wheel on stock gen IV rods. You have all the components for a great turbo motor, except for the cam which is not ideal at all. You could literally get new 80# injectors, bigger fuel pump, use the stock truck exhaust manifolds which I assume you still have and strap on a s475 or something around a 78/75 turbo and make 700 wheel with boost under 20lbs on your exact motor. And beat on it all day!

Also as a side note note really sure how a cam a large as the one you have will do on a 5.3 might have some scavenging issues.

Now lets talks staying NA I think you will love the powerband of the 5.3 in the e30 especially with a good diff. With that being said I can almost guarantee you will want more :devil:. The power bug with an LS bits you hard. My car stated off as a near stock 6.0 and now makes close to 450 whp and its completely streetable, you get use to it quickly. The e30 is easy to control and predictable with the power. On nitrous @ well over 500whp it gets a bit hairy but really because the powerband isnt super linear, its near instantaneous torque.

So if you think you wanna stay NA go with bigger displacement or stroke the 5.3. If your leaning towards turbo which in the long run given your current motor set up would probably be cheaper then stick with the 5.3. No matter your decision I would encourage you to finish what you have started and enjoy it get use to the way the car handles and drives. If you decide to go for more power do your research and start saving the pennies!

According to Tick Performance, they seem to think that cam would work well. When communicating to them earlier on in the "research phase" of things I was told its a mild cam. Since then, several people have told me its aggressive. They knew what block I had, hope I didn't set myself back by getting that cam.

I'm leaning on keeping it NA at this point even though it wasn't my original intentions. Like you said, I'll drive and enjoy the car, learn the dynamics and see where I want to take it from there. My main goal upon completion of this is to get paint/body work knocked out. Further down the line, I'll jump back on the performance side of things..

This is my first in depth project. I've gotten in way over my head but I'm determined to see it finished with the same attention to detail and focus on quality near the end as I was when we started this..

I get mixed advice, what kind of hp numbers to you foresee with the 5.3?

I guess it's important to note (since I haven't yet throughout this build thread) that I'm NOT in the hunt for super high HP numbers or bragging rights of having a dyno King. In general, I'm really looking for a great driving car that can destroy some backroads and eat ///M3's on the track during weekend events. The driving experience is what I'm looking forward to. With that's said, what I have may be all I want/need out of this build. [emoji4]
                                Last edited by E30Whore; 04-13-2016, 06:11 AM.
                                My Garage
                                09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                                09 E92 335i Msport
                                09 E70 X5 4.8
                                87 325i m50 swap
                                87 325es

Comment

Working...
                                X