M90 headgasket on bored m30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M90 headgasket on bored m30?

Ok, getting down to the nitty gritty on my build here, bored m30 to 94mm with VW pistons, need a proper head gasket. I know the s38 gasket will work but I'm cheap and don't wanna pay the ///M tax. M90 gaskets have 94.5mm diameter holes in em so I'm good there... would using an m90 gasket on my m30 work? Or would it allow water/oil to end up where it shouldn't? I heard you can't use m30 on m90 because the m30 gaskets are missing a few important holes that m90 uses, but m90 gasket should be good on an m30 I think, and not cost $200. Right?
    Jah bless! :pimp:

Aite spent atleast two days on the subject and first off, I like the idea of poking holes in my head and block like the m90, like good & tight did, and he used an s38 gasket, which puts the holes to use. There is a difference in coolant slots/holes between early b28, b30, and early m90 blocks, vs b32, b34, b35 and late m90 blocks. The early blocks used slots, the later ones used holes. Using a late, hole style gasket on a slotted bottom end leads too coolant in the crank case. I have a b35 bottom end and b35 top end, so I should be able to use a late, hole style m90 head gasket for my big bore b35. I don't have the desire to find out if the early m90 slotted gasket works on a late hole style engine. I'm assuming it won't at worst, and would restrict flow at best.

Tomorrow is half off day for all pick n pull yards, might as well get a b34 rear coolant neck while I'm at it, since forced induction is inevitable. :devil:

tldr

s38, late m90 work for me.

Also there are regular, and thick versions of the m90 gasket which is cool for lowering compression ratio, making up for a skimmed head, or in my case it just might be needed for valve clearance.
    Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Working...
    X