Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30BMart View Post
    Could you put this link on first post: http://www.m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73
    It has a pps of How to replace the shifter. Was very helpful. I had no idea how to do it and I did it in 30 minutes.

PS: I just installed my z4 2.5 and I have to say it's PERFECT, i'm in love!!!! I would like it to stay as is but I know it'll break in. It's a little notchier than stock (perfectly) and the throws are reduced dramatically! It's just perfect for daily and sporty, spirited driving. My car feels so different now and it's tight like a new car.
    So you got everything installed, or still asking for help?

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
      Where are you guys buying your levers?
      anywhere. for the most part, your looking for people parting out e36 328s/m3s. I paid $28 shipped for mine from an e36m (lucky!). Look around, check CL and bimmerforums, theres always someone willing to sell the lever for less than $50.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING View Post
      What up E30gentry..I cant get my bitchclip off and if u would like to help me install my kit thatd be great. Ive had a couple friends help but we couldnt finish or get the white clip off to lift the lever..i know it turns and pops off but ugghh has it been resistant.
      let me know if ur goin to brody's 2
      i used a small (broken) test light. the sharp point helped prying it out. Flat heads and phillips werent really that effective. Something small pointy and stiff (pause) worked best.

Again, i just did mine (all new bushings and an e36m lever) less than two weeks ago. Pm me for any detailed questions.
      feedback?!

4x100 32mm Wheel Spacers $70 Shipped

Comment

how can you tell what shifter you have??
        i have one installed on my 318is, and have no clue what it is..its short though and its an original bmw with part number, although the part number doesnt show up when i have searched it...
        this is how it sits...i was told it looked like a z4?

Comment

It looks similar to the z4, I would say 2.5 cuz the 3.0 sits tilted forward I think. Heres my 2.5:

It almost looks lower though... But I thought z4 shifters were the lowest ones. Oh well :P

Comment

Originally posted by e30BMart View Post
            It looks similar to the z4, I would say 2.5 cuz the 3.0 sits tilted forward I think. Heres my 2.5:

It almost looks lower though... But I thought z4 shifters were the lowest ones. Oh well :P

Yeah looks similar to mine but on the picture I posted it's actually on 2nd gear. Looks like it's in neutral but neutral is like where 1gear should be. It's not bad though feels really nice and shifts are nice and easy

Comment

Originally posted by brutus87 View Post
              ordered a z4 3.0 well see how it works
              Have you installed it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
                Have you installed it yet?
                Not yet, hopefully on Tuesday!
                sigpic

Comment

anyone ever hear of putting in an e46 short shift lever?

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
                  my feedback thread

Comment

'08 335i Shifter fits fine

I had an extra shift lever from my '08 335i. It fit great and shortened the throw considerably. I'll take some pictures when I get the interior back together.

Edit: Actually here you go.

Order goes E30, E90 335i, E90 330i

Last edited by merlinfe; 06-11-2011, 08:20 PM. Reason: Included Picture
                    - '83 911SC
                    - '86 325ES
                    - '98 M3
                    - '14 328d

Comment

Originally posted by merlinfe View Post
                      I had an extra shift lever from my '08 335i. It fit great and shortened the throw considerably. I'll take some pictures when I get the interior back together.

Edit: Actually here you go.

Order goes E30, E90 335i, E90 330i

I bet that 330i one would hit the driveshaft.
                      Originally posted by Gruelius
                      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Yes it did. A lot. In every gear. But only on the protective collar at the end of the transmission.
                        - '83 911SC
                        - '86 325ES
                        - '98 M3
                        - '14 328d

Comment

anyone want an x5 shifter? i'm pretty sure there are none left in NA. mine came from georgia and i was told it was the last in the cont us. $75 shipped?
                          1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
                          1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
                          1974 2002tii / stock
                          2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Installed my z4 3.0
                            I LOVE IT.
                            Notchy and a short throw.
                            sigpic

Comment

I installed a z4 3.0 in my '86 with the sheetmetal console. It barely rubbed, so I bent the rod very slightly, it really didn't need a lot. I also have the balancer and didn't feel like taking that off.

I love it, short, notchy, great. It wouldn't be my choice for a track car, but to drive around every day and feel sporty it's awesome. Special thanks to blunt for the parts.

Comment

I had the 3.0 in my old car for several years. Hell, I was prob one of the first guys on the forum to put it in a sheet metal console... Requires some work if keeping the rod straight.
                                It's decent in a DD. It's meant for a car with a higher console.
                                People confuse short throw with fast throw.
                                For a DD: get a UUC or Z3M. Tall and short.

I wish we had an X5 for our track car.
                                Originally posted by Gruelius
                                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Working...
                                X