1988 325i coupe with s54 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 325i coupe with s54 swap

hi guys I'm new to this forum and want to share my project. I seem to be to stupid to upload any pics, but will share my story anyway.

I had few engines in my car before with the latest being an s54. I started out with a standard m20b25 then had a 2.6 stroker then a 2.8 with ITB's then a m50b25 standard with standard wiring and ecu. the s54 is still work in progress it is nearly finished a few things to sort out still of wich one can set me back a while, but more of that later.

me and a friend of mine started the project and we wanted to go the easiest route, so we used the getrag 260 gearbox that was in the car along with the m20 flywheel, clutch, starter and engine mountings. that being done all I had to change was the sump and oil pickup. another friend of mine built me a steel sump and modified the oil pickup. once that was done we dropped the motor in with no trouble I have to add.

I didn't get the motor with wiring or ecu so decided to go aftermarket management. so next was getting it wired up and start. now this gave a big pain in the ass, we got it wired all by the book but couldn't get it to start all it did was spit fire and now and then it would sound like its gonna catch anytime now.

I decided to take it to the manufacturers of the management for them to get it started, left it there for a week. after buying some new coils and cam sensors it started and got the vanos working as well.

braught it back home tidied everything up and sorted to go to dyno.

baught original fuel regulator and fuel filter to get the correct fuel pressure in the motor, checked if the fuel pump would keep, up amazingly it does although I find that the pump doesn't like it after a long while it would over heat and then I have to leave it to cool, so next I will have to get a proper pump for it.

the exhaust double 57mm pipe from the headers to rear with no cats.

found that the old radiator weren't enough so got a e36 M3 radiator took out the a/c as it wasn't working anyway and used the a/c fan as a pusher fan. works really well.

then got it to a guy in town to have it sorted, but it gave all kinds of hell. if you step onn the brakes it would just die, and no its not a vacuum leak as I'm running manual brakes so no vacuum hoses. anyway he tried his best but for some reason it wouldn't rev beyond 6000rpm and wouldn't make any power over 5500rpm. so I took the car from him and phoned around for someone that is familiar with the management system that was willing to look for the problem. at long last I found a guy in town, took the car to him eventually found that the crank sensor was the culprit for most of the problems. it is a magnetic sensor, for some reason the signal was to weak from it and that's why it died if any electrical lights was switched on also for the problem of not revving past 6000rpm we ditched the magnetic sensor in favour of a hall type sensor and problems at an end! woohoo!

still it wouldn't make any power above 5500rpm the cause of that was the rpm signal from the crank sensor and from the vanos wasn't in sync, sorted that and problem solved. we only gave the car n nice smooth map so its drivable until I sort the fuel pump and the worst problem.

now that problem is giving me a headache as the motor smokes like a steam locomotive from 4000rpm and higher and it looks like oil. strangely it doesn't smell like oil. its more like carbon, I think because the engine was standing for a long time before I got it the piston rings are stuck to the pistons it self and resulting in not doing a proper job of scraping oil.

for the time being that I still have to sort along with the fuel pump, but slowly and surely I'm getting there.

oh yes also running it with open ram tubes no airbox. not too concerned as I don't drive it as a daily only once in a while, it sounds mental though really like it.

well that's my story for now, once again sorry for no pics it seems like I'm too stupid to get it on here 0 anyhow until I do cheers.

attached pics

hopefully I manage to at least attach some pics...
    Attached Files

Comment

Can't help with your issue, but I'm wondering about your brake setup - looks like E23 hydroboost? Are you not running the E23 reservoir?

Comment

hi

no actually it is manual brakes we just built n bracket for the master cylinder to bolt on to get the travel right. the master cylinder is from a vw mk1 golf they are pretty much the same as the e30 one just easier to come by. just added a remote reservoir to get it out of the way.

the brakes actually feels pretty good, in fact I'm so pleased with it I'm not concerned to even bother changing right now.

Comment

Working...
        X