E30 Megan Coilovers thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a fan of the Megan's for e30's.
    Friend has them and they ride and handle so confidently and awesome.
    They don't lose shock travel either when adjusting heights like many other traditional coilovers.

GC is great because of the customization of valving, springs, great plates, and cool other products they offer and are race proven. not really about show.

With that said, I'd probably choose the Megan's if I had to do it again becaus I'm not out to win any races and the cost is great

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by JA1991 View Post
      Hmm i'd be interested in that
      550 rear spring rates i believe are AMAZING for DD now for the track they aren't the best but they will never give out. but i mean for $900 getting a range of 350-550 dampening and Front Camber plates, AND being able to dump your car lower than any other set of coilovers can. I think thats a good deal.

Comment

Read post 88

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ight=gc&page=6

Originally posted by ak- View Post
        They don't lose shock travel either when adjusting heights like many other traditional coilovers.
        That is ture but you need to remember that you are also riding around on a smaller shock which inherintly has a less travel then stock. It would have similar travel to a shortened koni shock. refer to my diagram.

Last edited by Massimo; 07-01-2012, 05:06 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

^yes but what hes saying( or at least what I think AK is saying) is that when you adjust GCs you loose travel because now the strut is more compressed while on the Meagans the strut and spring are adjusted so that the strut isn't more compressed(it stays the same).

Comment

Originally posted by CW325 View Post
            ^yes but what hes saying( or at least what I think AK is saying) is that when you adjust GCs you loose travel because now the strut is more compressed while on the Meagans the strut and spring are adjusted so that the strut isn't more compressed(it stays the same).
            Yes that is exactly what he is saying. I am just high-lighting that you don't have as much shock travel as a stock shock. Some people don't seem to understand that and thought i would mention it.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
              Read post 88

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ight=gc&page=6

That is ture but you need to remember that you are also riding around on a smaller shock which inherintly has a less travel then stock. It would have similar travel to a shortened koni shock. refer to my diagram.

[IMGhttp://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy284/massimo10/SHOCK.jpg[/IMG]
              Originally posted by CW325 View Post
              Originally posted by Massimo View Post
              Yes that is exactly what he is saying. I am just high-lighting that you don't have as much shock travel as a stock shock. Some people don't seem to understand that and thought i would mention it.
              Yeap, that's sort of true, but wouldn't stop me from buying the product.
              To have the same travel on GC's, you'd have to ride monster-truckish.
              Megan's do have a shorter body with a shorter piston inside, but it's not really bad or something to consider negatively. You're never going to bottom out on them, just don't go hitting a bump on the freeway at full speed because you might catch air, haha( there is no droop on the wheels when you have the car lifted).
              And I didn't just take a ride in my bud's car lol, a friend and I installed it. I was really surprised on the quality. I was also a skeptic man. I DIDN'T want to accept that they were good, but I can't deny it now.

Another cool thing is the rear shocks are also height adjustable like the front. You lower and raise the shock body on a collar!
              Friend has an early model with higher arches so when we put the springs in and adjusted the height, they don't fall out of place when you lift the car by the diff.
              We literally have to unbolt the shock now to remove 5" springs.

If I'm not making sense, sorry I'm posting from my phone and sometimes make run-on sentences.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Megan's do have a shorter body with a shorter piston inside, but it's not really bad or something to consider negatively. You're never going to bottom out on them, just don't go hitting a bump on the freeway at full speed because you might catch air, haha( there is no droop on the wheels when you have the car lifted).
                And I didn't just take a ride in my bud's car lol, a friend and I installed it. I was really surprised on the quality. I was also a skeptic man. I DIDN'T want to accept that they were good, but I can't deny it now.

Another cool thing is the rear shocks are also height adjustable like the front. You lower and raise the shock body on a collar!
                Friend has an early model with higher arches so when we put the springs in and adjusted the height, they don't fall out of place when you lift the car by the diff.

If I'm not making sense, sorry I'm posting from my phone and sometimes make run-on sentences.
                Its nice to hear some good feedback, on a product im seriously considering purchasing. When i do make to jump to coilovers, i also want to replace all my worn out bushing and such. Do any of you know if they make a full poly kit for the car? Or do i have to purchase it all separately?
                sigpic
                IcWhatUdidThere

Comment

So in general? You love them?

Comment

Originally posted by StealthiE30 View Post
                    Its nice to hear some good feedback, on a product im seriously considering purchasing. When i do make to jump to coilovers, i also want to replace all my worn out bushing and such. Do any of you know if they make a full poly kit for the car? Or do i have to purchase it all separately?
                    Ebay, AKG, IE other vendors like Lucas.

Originally posted by EDirtyZ View Post
                    So in general? You love them?
                    Yeah. I don't want to, but I do.

Also, the 32-way adjustable is kind of lol.
                    Yes it's 32-way clickable, and there is a major difference when you play with the settings, but it's more like 4-way adjustable(kind of like Koni?). I only felt a shock compression/rebound difference with my hands pressing the shock on the floor/with my two hands for every 7 or 8 clicks adjusted on the knob.

H or 0 clicks was ridiculous stiff compression and had a slower rebound. And anything in increments of 8 clicks up was a bit softer and faster rebound.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

On my buddys megans we go 17 on the dampening, its PERFECT we smash down mountains 55 mph on turns, it holds well on light cars.

Comment

i'm picking up a set of megans this week. megan always goes low and for the most part... ive had these with my old lexus GS, LS, and always been a fan of theres. let's see how they'll work for me with the e30's.

Comment

Their 32-setting adjustment deal is just them saying 'well mine goes to 11'. You can feel, like ak- said, that they only really change every several clicks or so. So when someone says that they can 'feel the difference in every click' it is a placebo or they are talking out of their ass. Even the dyno plots prove that there is very little difference between clicks.

That said, I would buy the Megans with no shame. They are cheap, lower your car, and handle better than stock.
                          -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post

That said, I would buy the Megans with no shame. They are cheap, lower your car, and handle better than stock.

Yep, that's a simple way to put it.

When we were initially approached on selling them we put them on a race e30 M3. Frankly, the car would have been more predictable on Bilstein Sports and IE3's/H&R race springs . Extremely vague feedback, needless to say that's why they're not listed.

I wouldn't get these near a dedicated track car, for that go talk to GC, TC Kline, so on and so forth. But if your part of the "low and go" crowd (or even the none-competitive racer) and monies are tight then by all means, just don't have any false assumptions.
                            ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Looking forward to more review
                              Last edited by johnjohnsons54; 07-02-2012, 05:07 PM.

ZF320 | M50 Mani | TRM + 21.5lb Injectors + 3.5in MAF | E36 M3 Rack/Driveshaft | Megan Coilovers | 002R/452's
                              In the works: UUC Evo 3/DSSR, JB Racing lightweight Flywheel, Shrick cams, BBK (yet to be determined)
                              I NEED A WINGLESS AW TRUNK LID PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubes View Post
                                i'm picking up a set of megans this week. megan always goes low and for the most part... ive had these with my old lexus GS, LS, and always been a fan of theres. let's see how they'll work for me with the e30's.
                                Rubes im completely stoked to see someone going forth and purchasing a pair of these coilovers. PLEASE! Let everyone on this thread know how you enjoy them on the e30! We are all pretty much dying to hear your review on them. Because the matter of the fact is i can give you my view point on megans from an integra and others can give you all different view points. But to hear one from an e30. thats worth some real gold. so in general definitly looking forward to hearing from you again!

Comment

Working...
                                X