Replacement headunit options that suit the E30 interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
    You might be able to change that though. last night I opened up the faceplate to my old Sony Am/Fm/cassette unit and messed around with the green bulbs inside. so on this unit, the screen backlights had green rubber on them. I pulled it off with little pliers, and colored the bulb with a red sharpie (I didn't have an orange damn it) and I colored over the green LED's that backlight the buttons. Put it all together again, plugged it back in...the screen is a bit more red than the OBC, and the buttons are barely visible at night, but I'll tell you, It's a HELL of a lot better than that damned green display. And it took very little time, and was free.

TBH I think the sound quality is better to my ears now because before I was too busy hating it over that green display to notice how good it really is!!!

if any of you guys want to see it I could post up a pic.

--Mike
    I'll bite. Let's see that pic.
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

heres daytime... night time coming soon. it was green before i swear. scouts honor. I might end up getting an orange sharpie and taking the red off with goof off or one of those products.

--Mike
      (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Yeah, I like that. It looks great, nice job.
        Originally posted by Andy.B
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post

heres daytime... night time coming soon. it was green before i swear. scouts honor. I might end up getting an orange sharpie and taking the red off with goof off or one of those products.

--Mike
          Older Sony's are capable of both green and amber illumination. I cant remember exactly, but you push a combination of buttons to switch. SEL and preset one maybe? I cant remember exactly, its been 20+ years...lol

Great period correct radio!
          Originally posted by Simon S
          When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

Originally posted by Mtriple View Post
            Older Sony's are capable of both green and amber illumination. I cant remember exactly, but you push a combination of buttons to switch. SEL and preset one maybe? I cant remember exactly, its been 20+ years...lol

Great period correct radio!
            haha thanks! it is a great unit; about 20 years old and it sounds pretty good and tapes play really well in it!!

looked in the manual...nothing like that!! there was green rubber that i had to peel off the bulbs, so i don't think it's possible anyway.

to relate, I just repaired the cd43 from my mother's e36 and those backlight bulbs have the BMW amber color rubber on them...hmmmm. It's safe to assume that many units are like this... so if you're feeling like you need a change, go for it. grab a sharpie!

--Mike
            (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

I think it was the Sonys before that one that MTriple is referring to. I know I did that color change a lot back in the day, and it was something like that.

BTW, Denon also sold the little light bulb condoms, in several colors, so they may be an actual part of something, maybe you could find orange ones

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Here's mine , full navigation "dated but works pretty damn good" , aux , cd , rds , sub out

Night time

Day time

-His-
                87 e30 325i
                87 e24 m6
                05 e83 x3
                94 e32 740i 5spd
                -Hers-
                89 e30 325i
                18 f48 x1

Comment

Blaupunkt Acapulco/ 1988 325iX

Daytime

Night

Great headunit (cd/mp3/aux), but I am really looking to upgrade to something with Bluetooth/USB in the near future.

***Shout out to my fellow Rhode Islander up above... 92 Pro Fm FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                    I think it was the Sonys before that one that MTriple is referring to. I know I did that color change a lot back in the day, and it was something like that.

BTW, Denon also sold the little light bulb condoms, in several colors, so they may be an actual part of something, maybe you could find orange ones
                    hmmmmm. i might have to start looking for these 'condoms'. that's going to be an interesting search history.

--Mike
                    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

LOL...we are talking late 80's, early 90's, like so:

Closing SOON!
                      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

LOOK AT ALL THOSE BUTTONS

--Mike
                        (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

RMT200 - this is BlackSpeed's - mine is sitting in my office.

Comment

I like how it sits flush. that's probably my new biggest peeve with my unit....

--Mike
                            (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

denon head unit

Did that Denon come with a tweaker for Azimuth adjustment on the head?? harrr harrr

dlm ny country
                              Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                              LOL...we are talking late 80's, early 90's, like so:

Comment

The later model Denons also had the option of the bulb covers. I had one back in the day. DCC 1500R I think it was.

Comment

Working...
                                X