E30 M3 track acr build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eric View Post
    All those sweet carbon parts and be CSL airbox????

J/k, looks lovely! How does it drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trust me, I thought about a csl box every second day but have completely decided against it due to track day noise limits - some have had problem on some of the more restrict tracks.

Comment

Amazing build.
      I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by superleggeram3 View Post
          ohmygod
          C6Z
          S2K
          VeloN

Comment

Originally posted by superleggeram3 View Post
            Trust me, I thought about a csl box every second day but have completely decided against it due to track day noise limits - some have had problem on some of the more restrict tracks.

Dang, that sucks :-(

When my e30 was Broken, listening to the CSL's heading up brünchen was huge inspiration to get a car running so I could make that noise too... Great noise it makes!

My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

This is a car of dreams... Good work!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
              = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

So had my first trackday at snetterton (UK) last week. Car performed flawlessly but will require some suspension fine tuning and more importantly the driver learning a lot more about the characteristics of the car.

A couple of the morning sessions were largely dry so I was able to push on a little and I was very suprised with the amount of grip the car had to offer. I would happily keep up with or out corner caterhams and evos - this was suprising given ive had no seat time in the car, let alone in an E30 or rwd for over a decade.

Powerwise the S54 really delivers in a car of this weight - I was always afraid the power would be lacking having come from a 650hp Evo but again was pleasantly surprised and feel no need to chase more power. In fact im amazed by the low end torque. The car is far more capable than I am able to push it at this stage.

The one thing that I am likely to modify/change is the steering setup - the manual rack is heavier than I would like but since I have used a Z4 set up, I am likely to utilise the Z4 electric steering column assist - should be simple enough but this will be a mini project for next winter.

Late morning and afternoon, was wet. Quite wet at times, and it was difficult to get heat in to the r888s which resulted in a lot of sideways action. The car was however quite well mannered and was eash-ish to control - but it certainly required being progressive on the throttle - any aggressive inputs and the back would want to come around.

Looking forward to booking my next track day to get more familar with the car.

Couple of pics from the day:

Comment

Sorry if I missed it or not regarding the exhaust, do you know if you gained or loss any power with exiting the exhaust out the side?

Comment

I havent had the car dyno'd so dont really know. PLus I have no baseline to compare it to.

The main purpose of the side exit is that I run a flat floor and diffuser so couldnt have a rear exit exhaust.

Comment

How loud is it now?

My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                        How loud is it now?

Considering it is a straight through system and no cats its relatively quiet - 92db static test - so at idle no more than stock, at full chat its a bit louder than stock. It doesnt have that raspiness to the note though as is quite deep.

Most tracks in the UK have noise limits so I needed to make sure it was close to stock noise levels.

Comment

So did a trackday at Bedford Autodrome over the weekend. Ive been there before but have to say I really enjoyed it a lot. Only downside is the noise restrictions - they have a 101db static test which I failed at 101.8db (but I sweet talked them in to letting me pass) - 87.5 drive by and my car was between 87.4 and 87.8db - so I got a few sound boards during the day. I have a simple solution for this given its not a lot of noise I need to cut back.

Some track action:

Few observations (noting this is the first time Ive really had a chance to push on) - I was contemplating removing rear ARB and doing something to get more rear camber adjustability as I can get less than -3 degree (I was aiming for -2.5). Ive scrapped both ideas as the car has so much grip around corners I dont want to mess with it.

Not that I focused on the power, but powerwise I was neck on neck with an e60 M5 v10 and the new M4 - thats down the 1km straight. It seemed a touch quicker than an e92 m3 : )

Next up - take out an extra 50kg from the car......

Comment

How the hell did I miss this build thread?! Well done!

Two questions:
                            1) What is the air box you're using behind the headlight? I ended up fabricating a custom kydex heat shield, because I could not find something like what you have.
                            2) Who made the carbon body parts? Most of the links are dead, but I've found is that most of the CF or fiberglass panels out there fit like garbage. If there's a good manufacturer out there, I'm curious who it is.
                            -Brandon
                            '86 325es S50
                            '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                            '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                            '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                            S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

What manual steering rack did you use and how does your hood stay on? I see the rear bracket for the hood but nothing up front and no hood pins? Great looking car!

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es View Post
                                How the hell did I miss this build thread?! Well done!

Two questions:
                                1) What is the air box you're using behind the headlight? I ended up fabricating a custom kydex heat shield, because I could not find something like what you have.
                                2) Who made the carbon body parts? Most of the links are dead, but I've found is that most of the CF or fiberglass panels out there fit like garbage. If there's a good manufacturer out there, I'm curious who it is.
                                The air box is from Eventuri - howwever the heat shiel in front of it is custom made. Here is a slightly better picture of the heat shield:

The carbon body parts are made by BMP Conversions in the UK - he produces the whole of the M3 body parts in carbon. if you are on facebook search for "bmp conversions e30 m3 carbon fibre" - you can message Spencer and tell him "Nian" said you would look after me.

Comment

Working...
                                X