Delphin Gray Convertible: S52 Summer Daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    You'll really like the x-brace, they help with cowl shake a lot.
    Good to know. I have not noticed it in my '89 but any additional stability is always good.
    Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Updates!

First off, the X-brace is awesome. I put it in on Saturday and drove pretty much all day Sunday. The difference is really noticeable, highly recommended.

Replaced shifter bushings, finally got the valves in spec and installed the Bluetooth headunit as well. All in all, made for a nice drive on Sunday as now I'm not churning butter and can actually listen to music.
      Last edited by exhaust; 01-27-2016, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by exhaust View Post
        Updates!

First off, the X-brace is awesome. I put it in on Saturday and drove pretty much all day Sunday. The difference is really noticeable, highly recommended.

Replaced shifter bushings, finally got the valves in spec and installed the Bluetooth headunit as well. All in all, made for a nice drive on Sunday as now I'm not churning butter and can actually listen to music.
        Glad to hear that. Got my first cowl shake this weekend and was anxiously awaiting your review of the brace.
        Patrick Henry

Comment

I think I'm going to try out the x-brace too. I am hearing good things about them installed on a vert and I would like to stiffen the car up so I dont hear the windows rattling around or the top.

Comment

The car as been running pretty well recently. Went in and did the timing belt, water pump, plugs, cap, rotor and a few other odds and ends. However after that the car developed this weird stutter. Between 1k-3k rpms the car bucks and shakes. I'm thinking it's somewhere in the drive line as you can rev it out in neutral and it is fine. Throwout bearing makes a ton of noise so maybe it's correlated.

But then I got a new job which means it's time to celebrate. So this happened:

1999 110k mile S52 out of a mildly damaged M3. Got a good deal on it and it already has the M50 manifold installed.
            Last edited by exhaust; 09-29-2015, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Updates.

Finally got the audio system figured out. The front Blaupunkt speakers fit fine and the headunit is good but the rear speakers didn’t fit. The tweeter pod was too large for the rear panels to fit.

After driving around like that for about a month I got around to replacing them with a set of JVC CSV528 speakers. They fit perfectly and although the sound quality isn’t as good as the Blaupunkts, they’re good enough for the convertible.

Picked up the S52 this weekend. Now to tear it down and clean and re-gasket the motor.

Comment

Subbed

Comment

Been short on pictures as I shattered the camera on my cellphone. Been prepping the S52 to go in the E30. The engine is really clean and is only leaking from the timing cover.

I don't plan on touching the head but everything else will get cleaned up. Probably due for some Vanos maintenance too.

Had a few cars in the garage the other night.

318i that needs a new suspension...

extending breather lines on a Wrangler

Last edited by exhaust; 01-27-2016, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Been a while but stuff is still getting done.

I decided to take it out on Thanksgiving Eve when the water pump pulley sheared. I heard a thump, the cluster lit up and then I saw a bunch of black things fly by my window, turns out they were the v-bands...

Limped it home and decided instead of fixing the M20 to store it for the winter and move ahead with the swap.

Since then the S52 has been finished up. I used the Speeddaddy long tube eBay headers. They didn't fit great and needed a little convincing to slide onto the studs. I can only imagine what installing them in the car will be like.

I got my wiring harness back from Kadunza and it looks incredible. They are a great shop to work with and Robert really took care of me. I'll post some pictures of that soon.

Comment

DME is back from Markert Motor Works. Great shop with an incredible turn around time. Really friendly and did everything they could to answer my questions and make sure I got what I wanted. Also picked up the mounts and a temperature sensor from them.

Comment

Took the morning off and hauled the E30 out of the garage and over to my friends' shop in the city. Then we tucked it away for the blizzard that hit the East Coast this weekend.

The shop is full all kinds of fun stuff. The white 535is is getting put back together and is really cool.

Comment

M20 is out!

Spent the day pulling the motor, modifying the steering knuckle for the E36 rack, installing the new AC valve, brake booster and cleaning up the bay. Modifying the steering knuckle ended up being the longest part since it was rust welded on the steering shaft.

Also fit the new sub frame. Cleaned up the welds, painted it and added fresh rubber.

And this is why the new one is reinforced.

Completely sheered.

Definitely need some PDR once this is all done.

Old shifter bushings completely shot.

Interior torn apart for the booster and AC valve.

And this is finally finished and ready go.

Comment

New steering rack! Got it from a forum member who pulled it from a Z3M.

Comment

Looking good.
                              Patrick Henry

Comment

Engine is finally in!

The morning of the install was a mess though. I realized I didn't RTV the timing cover and had to tear everything apart to do it. The Bentley also lists the timing cover bolts as being M8s and requiring 15 ft/lbs. This is wrong and the four bolts I snapped back me up. I ended up having to seat and then redo the timing cover four times.

The bolts are actually M6s so I torqued them down to 89 in/lbs and everything worked out.

Getting the sub frame mounted up to the motor was also a hassle.

The reinforcement plates from Garagistic were in the way of the nut for engine mounts. I ended up having to grind down an OEM 17mm to fit in there.

The mounts and arms had to all be mounted together loose and then tightened. The mounts were roughly 23" apart on the sub frame and the holes for the engine arms were 24" apart.

Eventually it was all mounted along with the Z3M rack. The power steering lines hooked up nicely and there wasn't really anything to modify as far as the lines go.

The Speeddaddy/eBay headers went it without much fight too. They needed to be beaten a little to clear the passenger side lollipop but that's all. From what I read, I expected a way bigger fight.

This all took about 12 hours from starting the timing cover to getting the motor in. We were pretty dead and could get it to crank but not turn over. There was no fuel and jumping the relay didn't start the fuel pump. There is probably a ground that wasn't hooked up or something else we overlooked due to exhaustion / to much beer.

Comment

Working...
                                X