Help me determine what 5 lug suspension/coils I have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I picked up this 318is with 5 lug swap with height adjustable front coilovers and adjustable rear springs. I need to figure out what I have to know what wheels and tires I can fit, and what brakes/ rotors I may need down the road. Right now it is running what looks like e36 Style 32 with 15 inch wheels and tires. This site says they come in multiple sizes but shows et 47 in 15 inch variety off the e36. This would explain why the inner rubber slightly rubs on the front coilover.

Photo and technical params BMW wheel style 32 | BmwStyleWheels.com

I also have a set of BMW style 24 wheels that came with the car but I have not test fit them. Supposedly they fit. This shows et41 with a staggered setup. Will check tomorrow on if mine are staggered.

Photo and technical params BMW wheel style 24 | BmwStyleWheels.com

I was able to find these two great resources for the 5 lugs swaps. For the front setup... I am assuming I don't have e30 m3 rotors/ calipers, but it says to run 15 inch wheels you need the e30 m3 setup, so maybe I have it?

Now for the rears...I assume I don't have the MZ3 setup as that is expensive and rare. I also assume I don't have the Z3-I6 setup which would throw the wider rear track way far out. And from the picture, that is just not how the car looks. I am assuming it has the Z3 I4/ 318ti rear setup.

It does have the 3.73 LSD medium case rear diff which I am not sure what it came out of. Maybe an e30?

Now how do I determine what brakes I have? I will try to get some better pictures of the suspension, brakes, and 5 lug setup this weekend. But for now only one picture of the car.
    Attached Files
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

your rear is pretty tucked for a z3 swap...

Comment

Here is the front setup. You can see where the tire was rubbing on the front adjuster so i swapped that different set of wheels on.

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

bump anyone?

Comment

The front end looks to be Non-M e36 front spindles/brakes because the rotors are non-directional in terms of the vents. Another way to confirm is that the e36 M3 spindle DOES NOT have centering dowel in between the two lower bolts that mount the strut flange, and the Non-M e36 WILL HAVE that dowel.

As a side note, the calipers and their carrier mounts are specific to their spindles, so Non-M e36 & non-M e46 will work on the Non-M spindle, while e36 M3 spindles have to stick with calipers/carriers designed for the M3.

The coilovers don't look to be anything specific, other than they are for a Non-M car because the there's no sway bar mount provision to the housing.

The rubbing in the rear of the wheel well may be due to lack of caster (because of the non-M knuckles). Check to see if the control arms are standard e30/e36 or 96+ e36 M3 (which is needed to do e36 5 lug correctly). There should also be offset control arm bushings as well.

I can't tell much from the picture as to what the trailing arms may be.

Hopefully this helps you get started.
          Last edited by mtech325; 01-08-2016, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I do suggest that you tighten up that outer steering arm. You don't want to have that nut back off.
            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will get under there and look for what you mentioned.

And thanks M-technik3, I was doing tie rods at the time I took the pictures, so that is why it was loose.

Comment

I believe these are Rokkor e36 coilovers.

See here:

And only $300 on ebay. I just wish I had the adjuster tool to change the ride height.

And a review on bimmerforums. They seem to work fone on the e30...
                http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...lovers-(Review)

Comment

Don't appear to be late model m3 struts.

Comment

Ok so i believe I have non m3 front spindles and either a z3 -I4 or 318ti rear end. At this point I am prepping the car for a track day and want to make sure I have some spare brake pads.

According to this link (http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...Lug_Conversion) the rear pad are universal. Part number 34-21-6-761-239 for non M e36/7.

HOWEVER this link (http://www.extradrei.com/?p=141 ) shows the 318ti has a different size caliper and rotor. And apparently the 318ti uses a 32mm caliper piston vs a 34 mm caliper piston.

Are the pads the exact same though?

and what about the front pads?

Comment

bump. anybody?

Comment

Post pics of the rears

Comment

Interested in seeing the rear as well. Any update on pics ?
                          E86 ///M Coupe - Imola Red/Imola Red
                          E90 330xi - Titanium Silver/Black
                          K46 S1000RR - Matte Red
                          Follow the E30 Build thread
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=395205

Comment

Sorry I didnt take any pictures, but i found a part number on the rear rotors which were 318ti rotors and I replaced them the other day.

Comment

def e36 325i spindle and brake at front
                              [ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------
                              [ETA - E30 Adapters] - 5 Lug kit | DTM Shifter | DSSR
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------
                              Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X