No announcement yet.

The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going through the same thing with my M20 right now. However I'm doing the unpopular option and just slapping another M20 in it as a band aid. Every day my car is down is a day without transportation for me so its really not an option for me to go crazy. However the M20 I've found is local, good compression numbers, and the car its being pulled from is extremely clean so I feel good about the buy. Also he's selling a complete 5 speed swap so I'm sure the auto is going with the old M20.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Man that sucks I was hoping to see it at the vintage this year

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
        I'm going through the same thing with my M20 right now. However I'm doing the unpopular option and just slapping another M20 in it as a band aid. Every day my car is down is a day without transportation for me so its really not an option for me to go crazy. However the M20 I've found is local, good compression numbers, and the car its being pulled from is extremely clean so I feel good about the buy. Also he's selling a complete 5 speed swap so I'm sure the auto is going with the old M20.
        It's a tough choice, man. I just feel like it's such a gamble since I don't have another M20 immediately available. This head is unusable, and this block may be useable, but I would have to completely disassemble, hone, new rings, bearings, etc, and still chance metal flakes in the oil cooler and whatnot.

If you need M20 parts get at me. I bought EVERYTHING to finish this car.

I have:

-OE ps res
        -PS line from pump to res
        -PS line from rack to res
        -SSSquid 93oct stage 1 chip for M50 inj
        -Rebuilt M50 inj
        -K&N drop in filter

..and the list goes on and on. I don't know if I can stomach buying all this shit all over again for another motor.

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post
        Man that sucks I was hoping to see it at the vintage this year

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
        I know man, I was really looking forward to getting out there finally.
        Last edited by AWDBOB; 03-27-2017, 07:37 PM.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I'm not going to lie, like 95% of that stuff is really tempting. I'll PM you after this weekend once I get a game plan in place and figure out what this is going to cost.
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
            I'm not going to lie, like 95% of that stuff is really tempting. I'll PM you after this weekend once I get a game plan in place and figure out what this is going to cost.
            Alright, let me know man. Tiger wanted some stuff too, but he was more on the maintenance end of the parts as opposed to the performance stuff.

Comment

oh man, always seems to good to be true intill we start digging further. If you want to sell parts I am interested in,

-Rebuilt M50 inj
              -bosch coil
              -bosch oe plugs

Comment

Originally posted by fight4life28 View Post
                oh man, always seems to good to be true intill we start digging further. If you want to sell parts I am interested in,

-Rebuilt M50 inj
                -bosch coil
                -bosch oe plugs
                You ain't kiddin. Sent you a PM regarding parts. Tiger claimed the engine maintenance stuff.

Comment

Dwight at Zionsville Autosports may have a good m20 for sale... I would call and inquire. Definitely a good local source for our cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Vic View Post
                    Dwight at Zionsville Autosports may have a good m20 for sale... I would call and inquire. Definitely a good local source for our cars.
                    Jake @classic daily is hooking me up with a complete M52 for what an M20 would cost.

I continue to appreciate this community more and more in the way that folks help each other out. I just continue to pay it forward.

I sold the auto trans locally from the car unexpectedly which helped the blow of the loss of $ from switching platforms.

Comment

A real set of new Super Sprint m52 headers popped up randomly on Craigslist pretty close to me.

Is it worth getting the real ones vs the eBay specials?

The price difference is insane- $100 vs $800. But if it's going to make a large difference in power/torque I'll try to snag them.

Thoughts?

Comment

S52 Cams/trays arrived!

Picking up the M52 from Classic Daily on Friday.

This car is going to be fun!
                        Last edited by AWDBOB; 06-01-2017, 05:44 AM.

Comment

I have a motor now! But I don't have anywhere to put it until I move, so until I close on this damn house, my Forester will be pulling wheelies.

Speaking of the Forester, it is about to blow up. Hopefully I can finish moving before it bites the dust. It builds so much coolant pressure on a cold trip around the block that it's enough to spray the entire bay in coolant if the cap is popped. It has also popped the water pump gasket and pushes coolant out of every coolant hose. Not to mention, the clutch is also going bad and it burns a quart of oil (or more) every 1000 miles.

Last edited by AWDBOB; 04-21-2017, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                            I have a motor now! But I don't have anywhere to put it until I move, so until I close on this damn house, my Forester will be pulling wheelies.

Speaking of the Forester, it is about to blow up. Hopefully I can finish moving before it bites the dust. It builds so much coolant pressure on a cold trip around the block that it's enough to spray the entire bay in coolant if the cap is popped. It has also popped the water pump gasket and pushes coolant out of every coolant hose. Not to mention, the clutch is also going bad and it burns a quart of oil (or more) every 1000 miles.

The picture of the motor in the Forrester is great

Comment

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post
                              The picture of the motor in the Forrester is great
                              It was a blast getting the motor in the Scoob- the hatch made things tricky :)

I can't wait to try to get it out of there on my own....

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                                It was a blast getting the motor in the Scoob- the hatch made things tricky :)

I can't wait to try to get it out of there on my own....
                                My wife had one for several years and it was a tank. How'd you get it in? Don't see the engine hoist clearing

Comment

Working...
                                X