Speedometer Needle shaft play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer Needle shaft play

So I replaced my Odometer gears and really wanted to roll the odometer gears forward 5k miles to compensate for the time my odometer was out. Everything works great i followed a hard to find guid that was posted here, for those who don't know rolling forward requires you to take the speedometer needle off, something i really didn't want to do because i didn't want to break it in half. As I was putting the needle back I guess I might of pressed too hard which i don't see how because i tried many times before it snapped on but now there is up and down play on the needle shaft which causes the needle to settle downward more then usually which also causes the needle to not move as freely or at all while in the car. I did a test connecting the cluster to the car but turning the cluster down so gravity would pull the needle back out and that works just fine, with the car moving the needle moves like it should but once the cluster is back in it's normal position gravity pulls it back down which I'm guessing prevents the motor from turning the needle. Is there anything I can do to fix this shaft issue or should I look at purchasing another speedometer? I tried everything i could to make the needle stick out as normal without interfering with its turning operation but couldn't get anything to work. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

You may have damaged it yes. You may have also bent the shaft which can cause similar problems. Once the shaft is bent or broken, you will need to replace the motor, which is very difficult to do, easier to replace the whole speedometer. Try removing the needle again and dont force it so much.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Thanks a lot, ill try and describe what i see a bit more, So when the needle is moving up and down i can see the end of the shaft which has some half round thing on it, not sure if thats some kind of counter weight. the actual motor or what but it doesn't "look" bent it say it looks like whatever is holding the shaft at a proper height broke, though i don't hear any parts shaking inside the assembly but it guess it is possible that the end of the shaft i can't see is bent. Next time take the cluster out ill try and take a video of it but ultimately does seem like ill need a new speedometer.

Comment

Working...
      X