Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Wood Roller Put to work...

-Erik
    '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
    I just want to dance with some beezies

I just finished doing this to my friends jetta, they work great. That is about the same amount of flare I did to my car, how bad did your paint chip and how hot did you get it?
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Comment

you can really go at the paint, i've never melted or burned the clear or anything and i've used a hot gun like 2" away and stayed on spots for a lot longer than I would have thought was healthy.

When I use the roller to flare out the fenders a bit in addition to rolling I always tend to get some waves in the metal, did you have a problem with this? I rolled my 6'ers fenders a bit more aggressively and had a problem with this. The e30 is just rolled, not flared out at all, and I'm going 10mm skinnier on the new tires so for now I'm set. Just curious if you have a technique for flaring and not making the metal all wavy, cuz onces its wavy its hard to fix.

Comment

Yeah I actually had a hard time with the flaring. It is a little wavy and I think I'm going to go back over it again to try to even things out. I was getting really close with the heat gun actually and only had one small problem when I didn't let it stay hot enough on one side. I did crack the paint just a little bit on one back fender. It was a pain in the ass to do the rear since the lip wasn't fully cut out first. I definitely recommend grinding the inner lip out before doing any flaring work if that's your intension.

I will have more pictures up of the rest of the job when the sun comes out tomorrow. However nice it is working when it's raining since it's 10deg cooler than normal, it's hard to get decent pictures.
        -Erik
        '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Comment

Ha, if the e30 came out wavy, don't try a mk3. They are a pain in the ass if you don't cut off the entire inner lip.

And +1 to cutting the lip on the e30- it would have been soo much easier.
          Byron
          Leichtbau

Comment

Looks good. Glad to know that, I know when a friend of mine who works at an autobody shop does fender rolling and flares they take and they actually make relief cuts into the inner lip so it doesn't get wavy.

Apline- random question but I'm about to order coilovers and curious on the specifics on your setup since i'm going after same style. Specifically length of springs.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 318isbmw View Post
              Looks good. Glad to know that, I know when a friend of mine who works at an autobody shop does fender rolling and flares they take and they actually make relief cuts into the inner lip so it doesn't get wavy.

Apline- random question but I'm about to order coilovers and curious on the specifics on your setup since i'm going after same style. Specifically length of springs.

Thanks

cutting the inner lip out definitely made it a lot easier to pull the fender. I didn't spend enough time on the last one and did crack the paint a little bit, but since the whole car needs to be repainted anyway I this is my practice time. I'm going to go at it again tomorrow with the angle grinder to see if I can't pull it out further and more flush.

I'm on Ground Control Coils using 375/475 Springs and Bilstein Re-valved shocks. I'm not sure how long the springs are, but they are actually a bit soft. Especially for the ride height I'm at.
              -Erik

Comment

Sweet, thanks for the help with what your running. Where did you get the revalved Bilsteins dare I ask, sorry I've got so many questions, your car is the one I'm modeling mine after, for what its worth.

Comment

^^ Actually I'm not sure. These are the shocks that came on the car and I haven't needed to replace them yet. I think they might actually just be Bilstein Sport Shocks.
                  -Erik

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineE30M52 View Post
                    ^^ Actually I'm not sure. These are the shocks that came on the car and I haven't needed to replace them yet. I think they might actually just be Bilstein Sport Shocks.
                    Gotcha, glad their not shortened cuz I like your stance and was hoping not to have to buy the shortened koni's.

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineE30M52 View Post
                      Are you using the GC camber plates as well? Did you weld on the new (GC) spring perch in the same place as the original perch was, or did you shorten the strut tube and weld it on? Thanks.
                      My Ride:
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2662320

Comment

Working...
                      X