No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I wrapped up my project in PA last Sat jumped in the FJ at 730 am and Off I went.... Made it as far as St. Cloud MN that 1st day. Got up at 430 am sunday after about 4 hours sleep, checked the oil and looked at the Belts, Well somewhere between Chicago and St. Cloud, it chucked a Alt/ h2o pump belt that was in turn eaten by the A/C drive.....

FUCK..... The remaining Alt belt was badly torn up so even trying to get going was out of the question. Low an behold there is a Parts Store not more than a 100 yards from the hotel I stopped at.... Shit its Sun in MN when do they open if at all on sun ...... 10am !!!! Welp back to bed for a bit more sleep. After aquiring 2 new Alt/h2o pump belts and 30 mins putting them on in the parking lot, I was off by about 11am...... 18 hours latter at about 430am Mountain time, I rolled into my drive way, I must say I put a lot of blind faith in this thing and it didnt let me down at all, it ran 70-80mph @ 2500rpm for 32ish hours out of a 40 hour span and it runs better now than when I left PA after DDing it for 2 months.

Anyway finally got a pic I kinda like of it, quick and dirty walking back from a seldom visited fishing hole about 3 miles up the trail, just before dark (so its kinda noisy) tonight about 20 miles back off the paved roads, no fish were caught, but man was it good just to be there.

IMG_6950 by mrsleeve, on Flickr
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

Shut up and post more pics!

And sorry for your troubles.
      Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
      Well I wrapped up my project in PA last Sat jumped in the FJ at 730 am and Off I went.... Made it as far as St. Cloud MN that 1st day. Got up at 430 am sunday after about 4 hours sleep, checked the oil and looked at the Belts, Well somewhere between Chicago and St. Cloud, it chucked a Alt/ h2o pump belt that was in turn eaten by the A/C drive.....

FUCK..... The remaining Alt belt was badly torn up so even trying to get going was out of the question. Low an behold there is a Parts Store not more than a 100 yards from the hotel I stopped at.... Shit its Sun in MN when do they open if at all on sun ...... 10am !!!! Welp back to bed for a bit more sleep. After aquiring 2 new Alt/h2o pump belts and 30 mins putting them on in the parking lot, I was off by about 11am...... 18 hours latter at about 430am Mountain time, I rolled into my drive way, I must say I put a lot of blind faith in this thing and it didnt let me down at all, it ran 70-80mph @ 2500rpm for 32ish hours out of a 40 hour span and it runs better now than when I left PA after DDing it for 2 months.

Anyway finally got a pic I kinda like of it, quick and dirty walking back from a seldom visited fishing hole about 3 miles up the trail, just before dark (so its kinda noisy) tonight about 20 miles back off the paved roads, no fish were caught, but man was it good just to be there.

IMG_6950 by mrsleeve, on Flickr
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Argh...I need to buy another 80. I love the 100-series, but it doesn't have the feel that the 80 had.

Comment

Bad day for photography and fishing, lighting was shit, and hazy as all hell by late afternoon. But did find a little bit of snow way up, above 6600ft. Got my IPF Aux lights up and running, just waiting on my dash switch, and Slee light harness to finalize my install. Got a couple of boxs to keep me busy for the rest of the week. Front wheel bearings and knuckle rebuild kits, (hopefully dont need CV's) old man EMU urthane bushes for ever rubber part on the thing other than engine and trans mounts (thats prolly going to be a spring project). Front rotors and pad should be here tomarrow (OEM rotors and EBC green stuff pads). Need to get a couple of more things to finish my Solenoid box relocation for my front winch.

again walking back down to the truck from a fishing spot
          IMG_6965 by mrsleeve, on Flickr
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

This is also happening soon.

Comment

Sneaky mount of the light bar... Here this guy has plenty of OEM push type switches or can customize a rocker switch with what ever you want on it for that light bar.....

William Pitt-

Comment

Sneaky mount of the light bar... Here this guy has plenty of OEM push type switches or can customize a rocker switch with what ever you want on it for that light bar.....

http://your4x4store.com/product-cate...cker-switches/
                Thanks for the link. I might pick some of those up. For now I was going to run this 1st gen switch. Fits perfect in the aux switch spot, and it was free.99

Comment

Its kinda looking like instead of getting a Defender we will be getting an FJ40. Cant say its a bad thing.
                  1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                  willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                    Its kinda looking like instead of getting a Defender we will be getting an FJ40. Cant say its a bad thing.
                    It's a good thing. The government has begun repossessing Defenders.

Comment

Went up into the foothills. We had the first snow fall in the valley. I could only get so far up this road even with 4 low and locked rear diff. The rubicon only made it about half way up before getting scared.

Comment

We got 4-8 over here, was going to go out today, just didnt have time. Might go tomorrow though and hit some of the F/S roads and see how far we can get.

William Pitt-

Comment

We got 4-8 over here, was going to go out today, just didnt have time. Might go tomorrow though and hit some of the F/S roads and see how far we can get.
                          Do you have any lockers? The rocks in the road with the angle and snow were just too much for the rig.

Comment

Center Diff lock in L range is standard on 80's and mine has the factory front and rear locks, Plus I have the 7 pin mod which gives me center diff lock in H range if I need it or shut it off in L if I want :) If I really want to get over the hill we can see how well the 12k lb Harbor Freight winch does (it came with it and will stay put till it goes boom and will get replaced with a Warn 10k unit).. Going up is not really the scary part its the sliding back down backwards!!!!!! Or coming down the other side sometimes that will make your ass check for O2

thing is I have KM II's mounted still, so not really the best snow tires but should be fine in non hard pack .

William Pitt-

Comment

Gents (particularly MrSleeve and St1G):

What are your thoughts on this: http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/5332778274.html

Price seems high as do the miles. If this was something that we wanted, thoughts on where to start negotiations wise?

Gerta
                              Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Well........ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yes WAY, over priced IMO. Main things NOT A LOCKED TRUCK, hell does not even have the 7 pin mod done yet, Higher mileage, no mention of the head gasket, PHH (pesky heater hose Google it), radiator, fan clutch, being done and if not done by the PO to this guy are all on borrowed time. Were the rear wheel bearings done (new or repacked) Rear brakes, did he do new brakes with the front knuckles how about the Birfs in that rebuild?? New?? OEM/Aftermarket/used??? What kinda shape were old ones in if reused??? The seat heating elements are on FOG light switches and BOTH located on the DRIVES side dash knockouts . ( was a pair of of high low actual seat rocker switches out of a Lexus IS300 that plug into the factory harness to hard to source or cost too much (15 bucks on ebay) and putting them in the middle to hard to do) Where the fuck are the center caps for the wheels???

I mean 13,500 for a 18 year old truck, thats a premium price for a run of the mill DD truck, with out premium feature's (IE LOCKERS or Low mileage, generally both and almost NO mods let alone high dollar ones like bumpers, sliders, winches, good lights, and Air lockers etc....) and you dont even have the fucking center caps for the wheel you got to be kidding me. You pulled the front seats apart and left the destroyed broken down drivers side bottom cushion in there, was a 150 bucks for a new OEM replacement from Mr Toyota too much of a stretch while you had the seat ripped apart in the 1st place??? Then get 2, 9 dollar FOG LIGHT single setting switches to control them and mount them where the passenger cant even control WTF their own seat is doing to their own ass.

Thats what I see for a real quick cursory look at the description and pics And I can keep rattling things off for you to ask about it if you get serious just form what his C/L shows/says.

What is has going for it, ITS CLEAN at least the body looks that way as does the inside from what we can see in the pics, and being a PNW rig I would assume there is little rust under it, though I bet there is some above the spare tire.. Its a 40th so there is the limited edition factor color and badging as well (though I though all the 40th's had a special 2 tone leather package but not sure on that ). Very good set of tires for a DD AT tire you cant beat a Bridgestone Revo I have them on my Pickup and wifes Tahoe I love them and been running them for 9 years (4 sets ) . Though that size is not a true 33" tire they are 32.8" ;) What else it has going for it, is its a Cosmetically and solid bodied FJZ80 which are getting harder to come by every day. Has a some of the PIA general maintenance done and a few tasteful mods done.......

All in all if I just had to have that truck, its a 8k truck to me not a dime more, and thats IF and I stress IFFFF its as clean in reality as the pics indicate and he can come up with some documentation on the H/G, PHH, and radiator . The way he did the heated seats makes me question how the front knuckles got "rebuilt" and how the lift got done. So there is that stuff too. He will eventually sell it to some hipster, or someone who does not know any better, living in that PNW market, but at that price hes going to be waiting a long time. There is a guy in E PA that has 4 or 5 LOCKED FZJ80s on ebay every day, with nearly half the mileage and look very clean as well for similar money to 2k higher, but are not limited 40th anvi editions.
                                Last edited by mrsleeve; 12-04-2015, 11:27 PM.

William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X