E34 540i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E34 540i

What're some pros and cons of buying one of these beasts with about 130k miles already on it?
    I'm planning on picking up one of these as my first car.

Pretty reliable car overall. Got one with 250K runs great.

http://www.bmwe34.net

Comment

E34 is cool.

First car, driver new? No V8.
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

One reason I want to grab one now or soon is because I probably won't have another chance in the future since I plan to get something more fuel efficient for my second car.

Also, why no V8? I hear they are bothersome to deal with at higher mileages from other people. Is that why?

Comment

Make sure the block isn't one of those god forsaken Nikasil motors, the cylinder wall lining flakes apart and you loose compression, pretty sure it was happening to my girlfriends 540. Thing took ages to get going and it felt sort of like a slug, sounded cool though. The motor is basically two M42's welded together AFAIK.

Overall they're pretty good cars, check for valve cover gasket oil leaks and the engine block thing and you should be pretty good as long as it was maintained properly. That's the key words, maintained properly. When they're abused they're a nightmare, ask me how I know...

But to your actual question.

PROS: Sound, torque, speed and powa.

CONS: Fuel economy (I averaged twelve, but you can do better if you don't drive around like me. But who get's a V8 for slow speeds and boring driving.) Working on the motor is a pain in the ass because it's really shoehorned in there as well.
          -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
          -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

welded together huh, that would be neat
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedMystic View Post
              One reason I want to grab one now or soon is because I probably won't have another chance in the future since I plan to get something more fuel efficient for my second car.

Also, why no V8? I hear they are bothersome to deal with at higher mileages from other people. Is that why?
              Insurance? Gas? Maintenence? Drive like a dick?
              ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
                welded together huh, that would be neat
                Coming to a project car near you - Dual M42's welded together into a V shape to make a DIY LSX killer.

Well probably not an LSX killer but y'know.
                -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

From what I hear the v8's are less reliable, timing chain guides, oil leaks/burning, compression on nikasil blocks. From my experience, my 535i with 200k was the most reliable car in the world and everyone has good things to say about the m30. The e34 was when BMW had mastered the 12v 6cl and were just getting into v8's.
                  The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                  Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                  2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                  2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

a 540i/6 = worth it
                    a 540i auto = not worth it, get a 535i/5

yes, the m60s are more expensive to maintain, but 300hp is the right amount for the chassis.

also, whoever said nikasil, just ignore all that. if you test drive the car and it runs good, it wont be a problem, even it is a nikasil block.

Comment

e34 540 autos are stupid fast... you can hit 100 going up a hill without ever worrying. its a fast comfy car, but the fuel economy sucks. With that low of miles oil changes and basic things are just about all I would worry about..

Comment

Timing chain guides are known to break.

make sure there's no noise coming from the timing cover. If you get it, change the chain tensioner. The guides break when the tension on the chain is weak and it slaps the shit out of the guides.

I would not get one of these for your first car. I'm guessing your 17~
                        Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                        Q
                        :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Working...
                        X