Bought M42 - Winter refresh coming - what to look for/replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
    I don't know how far into the minor tear down you are, but pointy cam sprockets almost always equals doing the entire timing assembly. I have two very reasonable cam sprockets, an upper guide, a lower guide, a tensioner rail (passenger side one) as well as a good crank sprocket if you end up wanting used bits.

Did anyone mention checking crank end play, if not it's worth it.

Stock M42 power is just perfect for rallycross anyway. At least the initial cost of an M42 is low. Perhaps this has been mentioned in your other thread, but what differential ratio are you going to use with the M42?
    Originally posted by bmwm42 View Post
    Fuck those are pointy I'm more than positive those guides are shit along with the chain
    yeah, I'll re-do all that stuff.

rogue - will be in touch with you once i pull the timing cover maybe in a week or two and see what else it up in there.

I'll keep my 3.91 LSD for the time being. On the WDCR courses that gets me on the limiter for a split second on the fastest part of the course in 2nd, which is about what I want. Pretty sure the M42 G240 is the same ratios as the M10 G240 anyhow.
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Working...
    X