When should the aux fan kick in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When should the aux fan kick in?

As title says...my M42 runs hot, a needle width past the middle in normal driving/idle and with AC on in traffic it'll be halfway between the middle mark and the 3/4ths..the aux fan never kicks in which I'm currently taking care of now, but I'm curious when it SHOULD kick in in regards to the temperature gauge? Thanks.
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

Mine kicks in when the temp gauge goes a little bit past the middle.
    Originally posted by kendogg
    Don't know, but the E90 wasn't designed from the ground-up intending to be a racecar like the E30 was.
    OG RACECAR

Comment

Stock temp switch ?
      Originally posted by TSI
      OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
        Stock temp switch ?
        Yes sir
        Originally posted by kendogg
        Don't know, but the E90 wasn't designed from the ground-up intending to be a racecar like the E30 was.
        OG RACECAR

Comment

New fan clutch is $40 on ebay, brand new Hamburger-Technic. My car has yet to overheat on the hotest days stuck in traffic. Ive never had my Aux fan kick on.

Hes in NY too, so you should get it witin like 8 minutes of oredering it.

Also chuck a new thermostat in there.
          1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
          1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
          1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
          1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

The aux fan should come on whenever you turn on the AC, no matter what the engine temp is. I would check the whole aux fan circuit. Does the fan work if you apply 12V to it? Does it turn freely when off?

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
              New fan clutch is $40 on ebay, brand new Hamburger-Technic. My car has yet to overheat on the hotest days stuck in traffic. Ive never had my Aux fan kick on.

Hes in NY too, so you should get it witin like 8 minutes of oredering it.

Also chuck a new thermostat in there.
              The aux fan suddenly started to work after I replaced the resistor and temp switch, so now if I go just a little over half it kicks in, it's awesome.

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
              The aux fan should come on whenever you turn on the AC, no matter what the engine temp is. I would check the whole aux fan circuit. Does the fan work if you apply 12V to it? Does it turn freely when off?
              Just replaced the resistor and temp switch and it works now. Sweet
              Originally posted by TSI
              OEM+

Comment

Working...
              X