Difficult to Solve Fuel Smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficult to Solve Fuel Smell

I've already replaced the fuel pump o ring, sending unit o ring, fuel return hose, fuel feed hose, and even the foam gasket under the access cover.

Yet still there is a lingering fuel smell in the cabin. You know, I'd say it's more of a fuel vapor smell, but what do I know.

I'm guessing the problem is one of the vent lines on top of the tank, either one of the 2 plastic ones or the bigger braided one.

I'm finally saying enough is enough when it comes to losing brain cells on my drive to work. Anyone have tips? Can the braided vent line be replaced without dropping the tank?
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

The same thing happened to me and I had to replace the lines directly above the tank...which unfortunately required the tank to be dropped. I don't think there is any other way, but I could be mistaken.

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
    Instagram:
    https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
    LS Build Thread:
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

Thanks for reply! Good to know. : )

Comment

Before you drop the tank, take off the cover in the right rear wheel well, the one that
        covers the lines from the filler.
        There are several lines under there, and crucially, there's a metal 'Y' that likes to rust out.

And at any rate, cleaning under that cover occasionally gets about 3 lbs of dirt out of there!

It might not be your problem, but it takes 10 minutes to check.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

In my experience... the outlet line on top of the fuel sending unit had a crack along the hose clamp that would spew fuel when under pressure only obvious when the hose was bent after installing a high pressure Walbro. Also had an issue with the filler hose that connects to the tank under the car. The neck of the tank developed a crack and dripped fuel right after the hose. I was able to fix it by sliding the hose further up the neck.
          Last edited by reelizmpro; 03-26-2017, 11:15 PM.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I've been having similar problems. I replaced the fuel filter on Saturday to get a better look (needed to be done anyway). Now there's a pretty big leak under pressure. I thought it might be old hoses, but the return line hose going towards the tank is loose, it slides in and out of the tank and is spewing gas under pressure. Is that a check valve, or anything like that? I want to replace all the rubber fuel lines in this thing anyway, but I think the problem with this one is not the line, but how it plugs into the bottom of the tank.

Any ideas?

Comment

Are you talking about the metal line that runs across the top of the tank to the fuel pump? Not sure if it's return or feed line, but that line was leaking on my car when I got it - the fix since dropping the tank wasn't on the agenda was to just bypass it with a longer length of fuel hose.

Comment

I was talking about the larger (12mm? 14mm?) 'air' return hose that runs up to the
                filler door. It's rubber, but they used a metal "Y" to connect it to a vent and the
                filler, up close to the filler itself. Even on an almost- rust- free car, mine was rotten.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

My uncle also had this problem, do you notice it when you tank is full?
                  Then it'll be the braided tube (vent tube) which sits behind the cover in the rear wheel well.

His was so bad that when he filled his tank full, fuel dripped out of the hose at the top of the tank!

The braided line can be replaced without dropping the tank, I taped the new line to the old one inside the car and pulled it through the metal tube. This can be a b**** though..

Also as mentioned above, the metal Y piece where the braided hose sits over can rust.
                  1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                  1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                  X