Mopeds: Projects, Builds, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got into mopeds a few weeks ago when someone gave me a 2006 Tomos Revival TS in non-running condition, no key and no title but only 22 miles. I got that running after a carb clean and new fuel, then upjettd and got a new pipe and high flow air filter and it is a blast to bomb around town on. Titled and tagged. I'm a bigger rider so I wanted to get a little more speed without having to kit it out and lose reliability. Then the moped bug bit...

Yesterday I went to pick up two complete but non-running mopeds, a Jawa 210 and a Batavus. The guy had a literal moped junkyard in his back yard and made me deals on a few that I couldn't refuse. I would have bought more but I couldn't fit anymore in my trailer. They're in various states, all non-runners and will all need work (a lot).

I got two Tomos Bullets, a 1984 Silver Bullet and an unknown year Bullet Top Tank frame. I got two Motobecanes, one complete and rough and the other a clean frame. I picked up another clean Batavus in addition to the one I bought beforehand. Both Batvaus are clean. Then there is the Jawa, complete and clean.

I'm going to try to revive the Silver Bullet first because Tomos A3 is a really easy platform to get parts for and it is a very complete bike. Plans are to get the motor unstuck and work from there. I started the process of getting the motor unstuck today by soaking the piston in penetrating oil/Marvel's Mystery and dousing every nut and bolt in PB Blaster. The tank is clean so I lucked out there. The seat was bare foam so I removed it and threw it in the trash and will upgrade when I get to that point. Wire wheels are trash, obviously tires and tubes are toast. Overall the plan is to build this one into a more modified moped and keep it so I can have a spare one to ride when I have friends over.

I know others have had threads going about the moped builds they were doing but nothing in a while has been posted. This thread will be here to document my builds and progress but also for others to post their mopeds up as well.

Some pics of the projects
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by jrossowvue30; 04-14-2017, 11:12 AM.
    2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
    1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
    1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
    1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

pics no work guy

will be back tho, love me some mopeds

Comment

Didn't F34R have a thread about one he was modding?

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
        Didn't F34R have a thread about one he was modding?

Yeah! It was a puch he chopped and was stretching and had a built motor going into it. Wonder if it made it out to CO with his move.

Swanny!
        SUCKERS.

Comment

I still have my Sears Allstate that has had the engine rebuilt but cant figure out why it refuses to run. Coil is fine, generator is fine, spark is fine. Thing has me stumped!
          Swanny!
          SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny View Post
            I still have my Sears Allstate that has had the engine rebuilt but cant figure out why it refuses to run. Coil is fine, generator is fine, spark is fine. Thing has me stumped!
            Fuel issue? I'm sure you've checked that but if it has bad gas or a dirty/clogged carb they refuse to run.
            1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy

Comment

Clean tank, new petcock, new carb, new fuel. Stumped!

2 stroke is not something i'm overly familiar with to begin with. Been a lot of trial and error but i have a contact that should be able to give everything a once over and up and running
              Swanny!
              SUCKERS.

Comment

Clean tank, new petcock, new carb, new fuel. Stumped!

2 stroke is not something i'm overly familiar with to begin with. Been a lot of trial and error but i have a contact that should be able to give everything a once over and up and running

Until recently I hadn't been a very patient mechanic and without a lot of tools I hadn't been a very competent mechanic either. I am really loving working on these small 2 stroke engines. I've learned so much about them in such a short amount of time and information is so readily available on mopedarmy and youtube that I feel virtually unstoppable when it comes to working on them.
                1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy

Comment

My issue is that i have the bastard of puch manufactured bikes. Its a high compression chromium plated 50cc motor with a 19mm carb and 4 speed clutched transmission. Theres literally no cross compatibility between this and anything else made by sears or puch. So parts and repairs are difficult. Motorwest has been helpful but Matt gets bogged down and non responsive.
                  Swanny!
                  SUCKERS.

Comment

So I pulled the motor off the Tomos Bullet. After letting Marvel's Mystery Oil soak the piston for a day I was actually able to get the flywheel to turn some but just barely, so I decided to pull the A3 so I can beat the piston free and go from there. When I took the exhaust off I could see dirt, leaves and crud in there. I know it sat outside for a while so this isn't a surprise. I'd like to see if I can get this motor to run stock before I kit it out.
                    [IMG][/IMG]

This picture is of all the shit sitting in the exhaust port.
                    [IMG][/IMG]

I'm thinking after I build it I might want to stick it on the blue TT Bullet and just switch the vins since that one doesn't have one.

My issue is that i have the bastard of puch manufactured bikes. Its a high compression chromium plated 50cc motor with a 19mm carb and 4 speed clutched transmission. Theres literally no cross compatibility between this and anything else made by sears or puch. So parts and repairs are difficult. Motorwest has been helpful but Matt gets bogged down and non responsive.
                    I would love to get my hands on a Pinto 2 but the problem you're having with parts is why I'm glad I have an earlier Tomos to play with.
                    Last edited by jrossowvue30; 04-14-2017, 11:09 AM.
                    1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy

Comment

Your pics still don't work.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

Damn google photos! I've always been able to see them but i just read up that google photos don't link to forums, that sucks. Had to revert back to Phootbucket.
                        1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy

Comment

got em working now, neat! will watch this thread

Comment

Urghh stupid photobucket, I can't see any pics from the previous posts.

Anyway, was looking for a moped thread here. Just picked up this '80 Motobecane Moblyette for something new to work on. It sure is an interesting engine to work with....hope to polish this up and get the quirks figured out.

555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                            '95 BMW e34 525i
                            '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
                            '92 Range Rover Classic
                            '90 Range Rover Classic
                            '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
                            '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
                            '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
                            '67 Pontiac LeMans
                            '24 Model T Depot Hack
                            ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Been a while since I messed with any of my project mopeds, I've been driving my A55 Tomos every now and then, but today I added another 2 stroke to the fleet. It's not a ped, I think it's little cooler.

1979 yamaha DT250. 1 Owner, 2700 miles, only used on a farm. It's got spark and compression but doesn't run. Guy I bought it from claims it will fire with starter fluid but I haven't tested that out. Tank is pretty clean, petcock is stuck "off" and the clutch seems to need adjusting. One of the side panels has broken mounting tabs and a ripped seat. Front tire is thrashed. Other than that it'sin great shape, all original and should be riding soon.

[IMG][/IMG]
                              [IMG][/IMG]

Maybe we should change this thread to include old 2 stroke motorcycles, not just mopeds.
                              1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy

Comment

Working...
                              X