Favorite Whisky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Whisky?

I haven't had many of the stupid expensive stuff, but I like this with nothing but ice. Beats Crown all the way for a little less $$$

Also, maybe the same, maybe not - what's the difference between burbon and whisky?
    Attached Files

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Bourbon is from the Bourbon district of Kentucky.

This is the only whiskey that I've ever had and actually didn't think about spitting all over the place.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

True Bourbon is only made in certain Counties in Kentucky.

Tennessee Sour Mash like Jack Daniels is a similar style of Whiskey.

If my grandfater were still around, I'd be able to get a bunch of info, he was a head guy at a nearby distillery before he passed. He spent a lot of time in Scotland working at and learning from some of the small distilleries there. He had a vast knowledge on the subject of diffferent whiskies (whiskys). He passed when I was only 21, and I had yet to learn to appreciate some of the finer spirits, so I never really tapped that knowledge for myself.

Here's a link with some info. http://www.greatbourbon.com/proof.html

The Buffalo Trace and Rock Hill Bourbons mentioned on that site are pretty darn good. Tha Woodford Reserve I had on New Year's was nice as well.

Maker's Mark is also a decent standby. Jim beam and lesser are all rot gut garbage. Might as well drink Listerine.
      Last edited by Dave; 01-03-2007, 08:56 AM.
      Current Cars
      2014 M235i
      2009 R56 Cooper S
      1998 M3
      1997 M3

Comment

I drink Makers Mark for mixers but The Balvenie 21 portwood I mentioned in the other thread. The only other Glenfiddich I like is their 30 year (they own The Balvenie).

As said Bourbons are made in Bourbon County and are corn based mash.
        Im now E30less.
        sigpic

Comment

Not all of them are made in Bourbon County. Though their name did come from there.

Makers, for instance, is made in Marion County. Woodford Reserve, in Woodford County.

But, in general, they are made in the Central part of Kentucky. Interstingly, many of them are made in Dry areas - such that they cannot sell their own products at retail.

If any of you end up in Louisville, Lexington, or the nearby areas, I'd make time for a visit to one of the distilleries - Maker's Mark has a nice tour.
          Last edited by Dave; 01-03-2007, 09:12 AM.
          Current Cars
          2014 M235i
          2009 R56 Cooper S
          1998 M3
          1997 M3

Comment

Well the name has become to mean about any conr based whisky but Im a purist. Champagne is from that region, Scotch has to be from scotland, and Bourbon is from Ky.

All else is just "sparking wine" or generic whisky.
            Im now E30less.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
              Well the name has become to mean about any conr based whisky but Im a purist. Champagne is from that region, Scotch has to be from scotland, and Bourbon is from Ky.

All else is just "sparking wine" or generic whisky.
              Oh, I agree. Bourbon, by definition, must be made from a certain percentage of corn (51%, I think) and must be aged at least one year in KY, and at least one more year. Of course, true Bourbon in my mind must come from the Bourbon distillery region in KY and should be aged entirely there. Most of your good Bourbons are. The ones that skirt the rule are generally your cheap "well" drink quality.
              Current Cars
              2014 M235i
              2009 R56 Cooper S
              1998 M3
              1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat View Post
                This is the only whiskey that I've ever had and actually didn't think about spitting all over the place.
                Baller. It's usually around $40 a drink at a bar, so if you spit it out that would have truly been a shame. :grin:

I like the Macallan taste. I also like enjoying a drink after dinner every now and then, so I'm not going to drink something that costs five bills a bottle. Macallan 12 for me!

Originally posted by whysimon
                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

THE BEST BOURBON IS PAPPY VAN WINKLE..

I dont drink much wiskey/bourbon, but I have lots of freinds that live in Bardstown KY where alot of distillers are and they all argree that Pappy is the smoothest/best tasting bourbon you can buy (and one of the few that I can actually tolerate). Hell its around $90 a 1/5 here in KY, but well worth the money to sip on.

but give me some Patron, wiskey makes me fight and puke lol.
                  90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

:firehop:

Comment

'Distilleries' has been running nonstop on the History Channel lately.
                    - skipping the E36 generation completely -

Originally posted by Stephen
                    Alot of newer cars do nothing for me

Comment

My friend accused me of being an alcoholic the other day because I primarily drank whiskey all semester. But its the cheap shit, like Jack Jim and Johnnie.

Comment

Originally posted by bwanac View Post
                        My friend accused me of being an alcoholic the other day because I primarily drank whiskey all semester. But its the cheap shit, like Jack Jim and Johnnie.
                        cheap wiskey is like a cheap whore, both will get you sick:drink: and you will regret it in the morning.
                        90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

:firehop:

Comment

I work for Worldwide Wine and Spirits we distribute Pendleton, it rocks!, If you like canadian whisky 10yrs old and good stuff: They also make a 20yr.

As for me personally I like the old Ardberg:

The Ultimate Islay.

Or Oban if it wasn't so expensive, delicate and a gateway to Isle flavor
                          E30 325ix 62k

Comment

My personal favorite is the Glenmorangie 18 year. I don't care for any of the Macallan's, and I've tried the 25yr, 18yr, and 15yr. Balvenie Doublewood is very good. I can't stand any Johnny Walker blend, be it blue/black/gold/green/whatever (I've tried them all).

Makers Mark is my go-to bottle for something decent and on the cheaper side. When I'm out with friends I almost always go for the Wild Turkey 101 (as Mr. Copperwheat knows) as a simple matter of college student economics :)

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Link View Post
                              When I'm out with friends I almost always go for the Wild Turkey 101 (as Mr. Copperwheat knows) as a simple matter of college student economics :)
                              Consider it a death wish if you buy me that again ;)
                              Originally posted by Gruelius
                              and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Working...
                              X