Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

motor mounts? UPDATE

**post at bottom** found mounts for $40 shipped

whats the difference between the 318 motor mount and the 318is motor mounts? i know one is fluid filled and the other is solid rubber, but i don't really understand why the one for my car is $80+ more than the 318's.
    i've heard about using the e28 motor mounts for the m42 but they look the same as the 318's.

is there any option that you have used as an alternative to the m42 mount? because i really can't affort to spend $200 for motor mounts.
    Last edited by peytonracer4; 05-04-2012, 11:53 PM.

The cheaper 318 mount you've probably looked up is for the '84/'85 318i with the M10 engine, not the M42. Have you looked into used mounts?

Here's a link on using the E28 mounts: http://www.m42club.com/forums/showth...ghlight=mounts
    Last edited by vpilarrt; 02-27-2012, 11:18 AM.

Comment

is e28 motor mount better than late 318is mount?

Comment

no, its just cheaper. You will most likely feel more vibration with the e28 mount
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willworkfore30s View Post
          no, its just cheaper. You will most likely feel more vibration with the e28 mount
          This and it's NOTICEABLY louder and annoying....you think you have idle vibration now??!! Hahahahaa...

As soon as I can afford to get new m42 mounts, i'm doing it.....
          -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Lol you guys think the e28 mounts are bad? They're not harsh AT ALL (imo). The only difference is that you'll feel more connected to the car.

Try using poly motor mounts (what I'm currently using). Makes driving an amazing experience. I do get rattles from the ECU cover in the glovebox and a slight vibration from the sunroof crank and the rare vibration from the light knob. Nothing that can't be fixed in a matter of minutes. Probably a bit harsh for most.

If you enjoy driving rather than commuting with a coffee in hand, I'd say e28 mounts are a fine balance between comfort and sportiness. They're honestly not bad at all and way cheaper than the fluid-filled mounts. Give them a go!

Comment

anyone know of a good place the find used m42 mounts? i've checked the classifieds with no real results.

Comment

Originally posted by peytonracer4 View Post
                anyone know of a good place the find used m42 mounts? i've checked the classifieds with no real results.
                Blunttech has them for like $80ea
                Originally posted by Gruelius
                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by SimplyDope View Post
                  Lol you guys think the e28 mounts are bad? They're not harsh AT ALL (imo). The only difference is that you'll feel more connected to the car.

Try using poly motor mounts (what I'm currently using). Makes driving an amazing experience. I do get rattles from the ECU cover in the glovebox and a slight vibration from the sunroof crank and the rare vibration from the light knob. Nothing that can't be fixed in a matter of minutes. Probably a bit harsh for most.

If you enjoy driving rather than commuting with a coffee in hand, I'd say e28 mounts are a fine balance between comfort and sportiness. They're honestly not bad at all and way cheaper than the fluid-filled mounts. Give them a go!
                  I ran them for two years, and had the same sentiments as you. Then I stumbled on some new hydraulic motormounts at a screaming deal. I'd NEVER run anything else now.

Poly in a DD is just crazy. Maybe I'm less tolerant of vibration now that I'm closing in on 30...
                  Originally posted by Gruelius
                  and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

so OEM motor mounts are $80-$100
                    the cheapest i could find was like $70
                    rockauto.com sells them for $40. brand new oil filled mounts just like original. they're definitely different because i bought one OEM and one rockauto (just got it today) but they're both fluid filled and both look exactly the same with minor cosmetic differences.

looking for cheap m42 mounts. check rockauto.

Comment

Yeah when I first bought my 318is it had the poly mounts, at first I didn't really care too much, but since I was DDing it, the vibration became annoying and I feel that much vibration cannot be good for the car's components...

Switching to the stock motor mounts is amazing, it lowered my idle, and just made driving so much better.
                      Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

People have reported having cracked subframes due to the M42s vibration . I wouldnt run a poly mount .

Thanks for the find on rockauto!
                        1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                        1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                        1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                        1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

I got the rock auto mounts. The locating nub for the subframe side wasn't in the right spot but it hasn't shown to be a problem, yet.

Comment

Yeah, I vote for shelling out for the stock ones. I ran E28 mounts for 5+ years and thought it was OK a) because I was broke, and b) because (wannabe) racecar.

Once I got a job, I got stock ones and I'll never use stiffer ones again. The throttle response was better with the stiff ones, but ride quality sucked. Do it if you have a track car, and a MIG welder to weld the mount tabs back onto the crossmember lol.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by thedguy View Post
                              I got the rock auto mounts. The locating nub for the subframe side wasn't in the right spot but it hasn't shown to be a problem, yet.
                              yes this was annoying. i remedied this but turning the mount 180 degrees. this allowed everything to fit perfectly and the locating tab just hangs over the edge.

Comment

Working...
                              X