New heatshield for the firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New heatshield for the firewall

What's a good alternative to the factory heatshield that has crumbled away. The engine is out and I'm repainting the engine bay, trying to make the car a little nicer.

I have had very good results with DEI floor and tunnel heatshield.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

I've done this on a car I'm restoring. There are a number of things one can use, but I wanted to keep the factory look. So I used Eastwood's DynaLiner. Piecing it in was a bit tedious, but it came out well. The result looks like:
      Attached Files
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I don't remember the one I bought being too expensive, RealOEM lists it at $90.

PN 51481916442
        -Dave
        2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

I removed mine when I painted the engine compartment and never put it back in. Bad move on my part. I never realized how much noise is transmitted through the firewall. I like what Jim has done and might go that route when I pull the motor or just go with a factory mat if they are still available.

Comment

I bought a new one and replaced it.

Comment

I redid mine in acoustic/heat mat that had worked out very well

Comment

Probably should have mentioned it's for an e21. I think the DEI heat shield will be perfect, and it's priced about the same as a factory piece. Thanks!

Comment

In the exact same boat as you at the moment.
                  E30 buildy things
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

the oem stuff is too thick.
                    E30 buildy things
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

I just pulled the motor out of my E30 and discovered that the liner back there is trashed as well. Since it's about $90 to replace, I thought I would look at DynaLiner as well. I worry about two things:

1. It's only rated to 200F, which I suspect is enough in that area, but I'm not entirely sure.
                      2. The cost of it looks about the same as just getting the OEM piece.

Last question, for people that have done it - how much equipment do you have to pull to install the factory piece? Looks like the brake booster has to come out (at least) and maybe some other parts as well. This feels like a place where the DynaLiner wins because you can piece it around things.

Comment

Sound and heat covering

I used an aluminum and poly type material that was easy to form and clue. has great sound reflection and heat reflection. Comes in a roll about ten feet by four feet. great for floors trunks etc. paid 30.00 off internet the company is Texas
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice. What was the name of the company?

Comment

EZ cool automotive insulation do a search for their web site
                            GL
                            Barry

Comment

I used this stuff called "Peel & Seal", they sell it at Home Depot/Lowes, it's essentially the same thing as Dynamat, it's for roof repair. My whole firewall/trans tunnel barrier was wet/rotting off, so I ripped it all out, and I did it IN the car, under the carpet. I went 2 layers thick, and it's worked splendidly so far. No smell (as some have reported), great heat deflection, and no noticeable difference in sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X