No announcement yet.

Play in Lower Steering Column Assembly U joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't let the shear nuts scare you. Cut a groove with a dremmel and remove - go slow and you'll be fine. Sheer nuts are available and super easy to install.

Comment

I tried to get the upper clamp higher onto the upper steering column over the weekend to try to get around getting the rack out. No go Joe. :(

I'm not scared of the shear bolts... I'm just generally annoyed that what should be a relatively easy swap is going to be a lot of work.

I read somewhere that the shear bolts can be replaced with general M8 bolts. If I can get some hoist time at one of the high schools I sub teach at, I'll probably go the rack route.

Once I undo the mounting bolts on it, will I get enough play in the rack to get the lower u-joint off? I really don't want to have to take anything else apart if I can avoid it.
      Estoguy
      1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

That has not worked for me, but I have a late model. I still wouldn't bet on it.
        --Will

Comment

I just removed the shear bolts from a parts car recently... I dremeled a groove in them to try and use a flat head.. that didn't work for sh!t. What I ended up doing is dremeling the bolt and washer down flat on opposite sides and using vice grips. After that they popped right out. I'll be doing this to my non parts car because I'd like to change the steering column cover to one that's not cracked, without removing the dash.

Comment

Hey guys... thanks for all the input. I started looking at things and found that the rack route was going to be the easiest. Got everything out last Sunday and put back together in about 5-6 hours (including servicing my front brakes). It all went pretty well. Was a little worried at first when I was trying to get the tie rod ends out. I'd gotten a tie rod end puller from Crappy Tire, but it was the U-shaped one. The jaws were too wide to work with my E30 and they didn't have the other style. Good thing was the shop I was working in had a copper mallet and I semi gently hammered them out, without damaging the tops of the ends. Had to hammer off the lower U-joint too... it was stuck good on the rack. Coated the splines with Krown spray before putting it back together, just on the off chance I might have to do that again some day. Alignment was still perfect after reassembly. Just had to realign the steering wheel as the column turned a bit during the job.

The other hard part was maneuvering the rack and getting the 22mm banjo bolt back on without losing the washer. Was cursing that a bit. LOL

Otherwise though, not a terribly hard job, just a bit time consuming.

Luckily the place I work is uber quiet on the weekends, so I saved money and got paid doing it! SCORE!
            Estoguy
            1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Working...
            X