Erratic idle....Bad TPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erratic idle....Bad TPS?

Been tracing a few small issues with my swap since I finished it. Was running nice and smoothly for a bit. Then when I would start it, the engine would rev to around 1500 immediately, now lately it revs to like 2500. Also the idle can be very jumpy but often a quick blip of the gas settles it down. It will idle fine and smooth then raise up to 1200-1500 and bounce for a bit.

All intake manifold gaskets are new when I did the swap, new O-rings in the injectors and nearly all vac lines are new. I just cleaned the ICV which hums and seemed to be working fine intially and also replaced the line to the intake and hose clamped it all off to eliminate that variable as a vacuum leak. I also epoxied the line into the manifold as it seemed rather loose and didn't want to mess with it later.

I originally thought a vac leak but I couldn't find one and although I didn't have a smoke machine, we used my buddies propane torch on a light mist of fumes and couldn't locate anything. I unplugged the TPS tonight while it was idling and it steadied it right out albeit a bit rough.

Anything else I could be missing? M50NV, 403 DME, all stock.
    91 318is M50 swapped
    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Test it with a DMM. Chances are it is the icv or vacuum leak still though. TPS usually don't fail.

Comment

FWIW. It was the TPS. Swapped a different DME in, no change. Smoke tested and found no leaks. Recleaned the ICV and made sure it was again sealed up well, no change.

Had a random TPS laying in a box I swapped in....dead steady idle, no erratic revs on start up and the runs 10X better now. Seems to have cured the random hesitations I was having also.
      91 318is M50 swapped
      05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Working...
      X