Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 finally pooped out

This is kind of an Intro but more of a HELP ME thread

I bought my car about a year ago with the odo broken at 239xxx miles and has ran great ever since with taking care of maintenance items. Last week I picked up an S50/ZF combo for $1000, with "a rattle in the head."

Yesterday, my car started sputtering, misfiring, and smoking. Pulled the plug on #3 cylinder and it was fouled out with oil. Must have been upset I bought a new motor

My plans are to:

- Pull the head, have it checked and rebuilt.
    --- I have an opportunity to buy SuperTech springs (slightly used) for $250. Should I pull the trigger?
    --- I was thinking of having the cams reground to the "Sunbelt Stage 2" specs, talked to the machine shop and they said no valvetrain upgrades are needed. (paired with Supertech springs?)
    - Replace chain tensioners and guides
    - Replace all gaskets and seals
    - Vanos... Dr. Vanos? Or Beisan?

I promise to everyone reading this that I have tried to search as much as I can, but most answers are just too confusing with off the wall answers to comprehend. I have acquired the e36 Bentley manual which I have read a few times.

Right now, the engine is on a stand and the transmission is sitting under it. The problem that I am facing with the Bentley manual and most DIY's online, is procedures are mostly talked about with the engine in the car.

To explain my problem more, I am trying to pull the head off. Right now, everything around the head and valve cover is off. Ive read many posts saying that the special tools arent needed to remove the vanos and head, but how should I tackle it? Maybe I am thinking more than needed, but I am worried about something happening and bending a valve or something else crazy happening. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

I am just trying to avoid money mistakes.

Also, if anybody is in the East Bay Area that would like to lend a hand, I can supply some beers and BBQ since the weather is getting nicer. And any tips, guides, part recommendations, shop recommendations, insults, nudes, or donations are accepted.

and... Here is my car.

MANY THANKS.

When putting the head back on it will be easier to time everything with the cam locking tools, lock pin, and vanos wrench. I suggest you get them. As for taking the head/cams off I personally followed this dudes instructionals on youtube.
    http://www.mybimmerspace.com In this new video, I remove and then re-install the camshafts with a new set of INA lifters on a BMW E36 with a M50tu engine. Fo...

There's 3 or 4 videos that are very helpful.

Comment

lol thanks, I was definitely over thinking it. but any other advice for "since it's out" would be great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Where is the East Bay are you? I rebuilt my S52 a while ago and didn't find it too hard to take the head off. You do have to be careful as one of the valves will always be sticking out the bottom when the cams are still in. Doing a regrind will probably mean you will need a chip and it most likely not smog either.

Comment

Originally posted by e30serg View Post
          Where is the East Bay are you? I rebuilt my S52 a while ago and didn't find it too hard to take the head off. You do have to be careful as one of the valves will always be sticking out the bottom when the cams are still in. Doing a regrind will probably mean you will need a chip and it most likely not smog either.

I'm in San Lorenzo next to Hayward. After watching the video it doesn't seem to be too hard. I was more scared of the Vanos unit but that took about 5 minutes to pull off. After reading Beisans procedures today on the vanos repair, I notice that the helical gear has a lot of play. Now I am curious if I should still pull the head, or replace all of the gaskets and seals besides the head gasket and run it (if a compression test clears out of course).

Comment

Jon, pull the head out while its already out of the motor. I have my S52 on a stand and its hell of a lot easier to work on the head while the engine is out. Think about it... lets say you complete your swap and are driving it for a year or so then out of nowhere you need to do the headgasket for whatever reason. It just makes it easier now and saves you a headache later down the road, because i know your going to rip on the motor like i will haha.
            Your signature picture has been removed. Refer to the Signature and Avatar Guidelines in The Rules.

Comment

another good write up on dealing with the cyhlinder head is in the Pelican Part book '101 performance projects'. also chk their how to section on line.

my $.02 is get the engine freshened running etc. then change cams. one less thing to think about if it doesn't want to run clean.
              particularly if it has some sort of rattle vanos? on top. other than cost Dr vanos is a straight up deal and as mentioned you could be upside down with cams on smog if you are going to try and' BAR' it
              My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Originally posted by f4tj0n View Post

Yesterday, my car started sputtering, misfiring, and smoking. Pulled the plug on #3 cylinder and it was fouled out with oil. Must have been upset I bought a new motor
                Righttttttt, trying to make an excuse to swap in that s50. Sometime I wish mine blow up, so I can have an excuse to swap in a m52.
                Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

yeah I've been contemplating the whole smog issue. I can usually find a blind smog tech, but it's been getting harder and harder. What all is involved to get this BAR legal?

Comment

HA! Is that the Cult Simpsons 24" on your roof? Either way, good luck, wish I was closer I'd lend a hand.
                    91 318is M50 swapped
                    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                      HA! Is that the Cult Simpsons 24" on your roof? Either way, good luck, wish I was closer I'd lend a hand.
                      Yessir, Duff Edition Cult 24". You no likey?

Comment

I pulled the head last night and the cylinder walls/piston tops look good. Still haven't pulled the oil pan, but that will probably be done tonight.

I'm building a parts list of what I need, new/old stuff, and potentially trading it for my M20/G260 combo, that is still running, but acting funny (which they were informed about). I've been able to drive my car still for the past two days without it smoking and misfiring.

My list of new parts that I need:

-Upper/Lower end gasket kits (yes or no? I figured a kit would be better than piecing together) + OEM headgasket +Valvecover Grommets
                        -Headbolts
                        -Upper Chain Tensioner
                        -Main Chain Tensioner
                        -Oil Pressure Switch
                        -E28 M5 Engine Mounts
                        -320i Tranny Mounts

Old parts:

-E34 Oilpan/pickup/dipstick
                        -E34 Throttle Cable
                        -M50/S50 Engine Harness
                        -S50 P/S Pump

Am I missing anything "while I'm in there" stuff? as well as needed stuff to complete?

The motor was pulled at 120k. Should I look into replacing Main and Rod Bearings as well as Piston Rings? This is definitely a budget build but I am still trying to get most of the stuff out of the way.

Comment

Also, my motor came with an Unorthodox Racing crank pulley. And I'm trying to decide on a clutch set up. I've been reading the "S52 clutch" thread that is recent, but would this http://www.ebay.com/itm/161027455982 work with my pulley? What options do I have here?

Comment

might consider rear main seal w/ carrier gasket, new waterpump and metal WP>hose connection to replace plastic part, vanos as mentioned before
                            maybe AKG eng mounts if in budget
                            The ORIGINAL e30 M5x/S5x swap motor mounts! Our mounts incorporate the correct angle and stud location for proper engine seating. Made in USA.
                            My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Should I be worried?

Exhaust:

Intake:

Last edited by f4tj0n; 03-24-2014, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X