No announcement yet.

M20 finally pooped out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would polish it with some 1000. clean and rock it. i would not worry about that.
    Looking for late model fogs, E39 Fog lights, cool cheap 17 5x120 wheels.

Comment

Any 2nd opinion on the cam caps?

Also my exhaust that I'm planning out:

Any advice on that would be awesome as well.

THANKS!

Comment

Pulled the oil pan off today to check out the oil pump nut/sprocket and found that the nut had backed off, giving the sprocket play, and stripped the splines on the shaft.

Whats the fix for this? VAC shaft upgrade? Send in mine for them to upgrade and refurb?

The PO had mentioned that he was getting on the freeway, and lost oil pressure via after market gauge, he shut the car off and pulled over and towed it home.

So... I'm assuming it would be a good idea to pull the main bearings and check those as well? and since that is being done, it might not be a bad idea to replace the rings?

This is my first time rebuilding a motor, so future thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by f4tj0n View Post
          Pulled the oil pan off today to check out the oil pump nut/sprocket and found that the nut had backed off, giving the sprocket play, and stripped the splines on the shaft.

Whats the fix for this? VAC shaft upgrade? Send in mine for them to upgrade and refurb?

The PO had mentioned that he was getting on the freeway, and lost oil pressure via after market gauge, he shut the car off and pulled over and towed it home.

So... I'm assuming it would be a good idea to pull the main bearings and check those as well? and since that is being done, it might not be a bad idea to replace the rings?

This is my first time rebuilding a motor, so future thanks for the advice.

Welcome to the money pit Jon. I am in the same situation as we speak. I keep finding new things pertaining my motor, its all such a crap out but its all worth it in the end.
          Your signature picture has been removed. Refer to the Signature and Avatar Guidelines in The Rules.

Comment

I would continue tearing down and then decide how much you really want to spend on the motor. It can get expensive quick when you start doing internals.

Comment

Check the bearings and go from there. It will at least tell if its worth rebuilding.

Comment

Go talk to Carl Stirtz over at Stirtz Machine in Oakland. That's were I got my machining done when rebuilding my s52. The guys has been around for a loooong time and knows bmw's very well. Take the cam and caps and have him take a look. They may be ok with a clean-up polish. Same for the crank.

Comment

made this tonight.

got a big ass pipe wrench

and now i need to source a huge pipe and probably a stronger socket

Comment

Did you soak it in PB blaster? I just used a long breaker bar and my jack handle. And the correct-sized impact socket.

Comment

Oh, I also have the correct tool to hold the crank from spinning....

Comment

I didn't want to spend $160 on something that could be made with $5 worth of metal and a little time with a drill press and lathe. I sprayed PB Blaster on it last night. Hopefully it wont be too hard to loosen.

Comment

Liquid wrench is better

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1396458966461.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	7164959Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1396458987498.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	7164960

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Tapatalk is weird. sorry about the double post.

Should I be concerned about the sprocket? The chains will be replaced. I think there is some abnormal wear from the oil pump sprocket coming loose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

a little crude but you can: remove the pan, use a wood block between crank and eng block to 'lock the crank and as mentioned use the proper heavy socket and long breaker bar. be carefull if ingine is on a stand
                                My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Working...
                                X