Front end damage, need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end damage, need advice

I've been lurking around here for a bit and need some advise.

I just scored a pretty rough 325i from a tweaker for almost nothing. I normally would have never bought a car with so many issues but for the price i think it will be worth restoring to a nice daily driver.

The structure seems to be in pretty good shape and rust free but it was hit on the front passenger side.

I pulled the front end apart and the core radiator support is fine. The biggest issue is the bumper shock mount has been pushed in and bent up slightly. The right side inner structure is also bent back in the front corner where it mounts up to the lights, fender and valance.

IMG_5623 by robotsully, on Flickr

IMG_5624 by robotsully, on Flickr

I've already sourced all the body parts and a new front bumper shock. Should I just take a mallet and 2x4 and try to straighten the mount using the old bumper shock or am I crazy. Is it worth fixing or could there be some more serious frame damage even though the structure looks straight and true behind the mount.

Is there any important structural support in the front inner structure behind the fender? Seems like I could just straighten it out to get the headlight and fender mounts back inline.

That "front bumper shock mount" is the front framerail. Both of those pics show structure damage. The apron in the first pic can be straightened, but I would recommend taking it to a shop and letting them set it up on the rack and pull it.

It's all fixable. Should be less than $500.
    Derek-

Comment

I have fixed something similar before, but it really depends on how hard it was hit, and whether it buckled, twisted, or just shoved back. Or all three.

The car I fixed only have a slight nudge that pushed the shock in enough to miss align the mount, I was able to get it straight fixed by cutting and rewelding the sub frame stub back on the car and reinforce the repair.

I think I may still have pics of the repair somewhere, but I'd have to look around tonight.
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by dereliiict View Post
        That "front bumper shock mount" is the front framerail. Both of those pics show structure damage. The apron in the first pic can be straightened, but I would recommend taking it to a shop and letting them set it up on the rack and pull it.

It's all fixable. Should be less than $500.

I figured I should clarify what I meant by "less than $500."

For the frame pulls.

Not total repair.
        Derek-

Comment

Working...
        X