No announcement yet.

Official: Show your plaid or pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In for this, I was thinking of going with a camel tartan in my beige interior.

Here's a photoshop I did

No burberry jokes, please.

ethirtyis, I'd be very greatful if you did a quick DIY on upholstery, focusing on the tricks and less so on the obvious stuff.

Comment

^^Werd
      Originally posted by Wh33lhop
      This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

Comment

Sure, once I get some down time at work, I'll start on em. But all the pictures are going to be from my iPhone..
        It's really not as hard as you think, the most important parts are:
        1- a good "walking-foot" sewing machine, I use a juki.
        2- a good sharp pair of shears, Weiss makes a nice pair.
        3- a water soluble crayon, there called "china markers"( when you see it you'll know exactly what it is) staples carries them, just search there website.
        4- balls, you can't be on a budget when your first starting. Your going to mess up, but it's ok, that how you learn. (if you are on a budget, find someone getting rid of a couch or a leather or fabric chair and pull it apart stich by stich. That's how I learned.

The 2 most important rules of upholstery and sewing are:
        1- ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS. Work of center. That means find the center of the price your putting togeather, and make a mark.
        2- industry rule is 1/2" seam alowence. It's a 1/2" for a reason. Always sew 1/2" from the edge of the prices you are joining.

The rest is all experience and seat time. In the. Beginning you will need to make your pattern then measure out your 1/2" seam allowance, mark that, then cut. After you've done 20-30 seats youll be able to patern your peice and jut cut your cut your seam alowence. By eye.
        When I get started on my seats I'll walk you guys through patterning.
        And when I get some typeing time I'll go over different stitches.
        Proud Owner and Operator.
        sigpic

Comment

John, I can't wait for you to finish the whole interior, i'm actually on the lookout for some black/red plaid and hope to do the same thing.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Some good inspiration in this thread.

I'm very interested in taking on this task. i have a walking foot machine and lots of sewing experience since I am a clothing designer.

I'm sure I'll have more questions when i begin the reverse engineering of the panels but i do have a couple of questions:
            1. what thickness padding is used and is it fused to the fabric before the "quilting" stitches or do you baste it down to the edges and just work from the center out as you described above?
            2. when using regular fabric vs the leather do you reinforce the spots where the hog rings attach to the seats?
            3. any tips for creating the leather wrapped console panels and is that a 1/2" allowance as well? i foresee the seams exposing themselves once they are taut and wrapped around the console.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EthirtyIS View Post
              Sure, once I get some down time at work, I'll start on em. But all the pictures are going to be from my iPhone..
              It's really not as hard as you think, the most important parts are:
              1- a good "walking-foot" sewing machine, I use a juki.
              2- a good sharp pair of shears, Weiss makes a nice pair.
              3- a water soluble crayon, there called "china markers"( when you see it you'll know exactly what it is) staples carries them, just search there website.
              4- balls, you can't be on a budget when your first starting. Your going to mess up, but it's ok, that how you learn. (if you are on a budget, find someone getting rid of a couch or a leather or fabric chair and pull it apart stich by stich. That's how I learned.

The 2 most important rules of upholstery and sewing are:
              1- ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS. Work of center. That means find the center of the price your putting togeather, and make a mark.
              2- industry rule is 1/2" seam alowence. It's a 1/2" for a reason. Always sew 1/2" from the edge of the prices you are joining.

The rest is all experience and seat time. In the. Beginning you will need to make your pattern then measure out your 1/2" seam allowance, mark that, then cut. After you've done 20-30 seats youll be able to patern your peice and jut cut your cut your seam alowence. By eye.
              When I get started on my seats I'll walk you guys through patterning.
              And when I get some typeing time I'll go over different stitches.
              Thank you so much for this. So many upholstery resources go over the same basic stuff over and over. Just that quick post you made has taught me a LOT. I used to do sewing back in school on an old singer treadle. Basic patternmaking isn't foreign to me, but I am rusty and I have never tried to fit patterns to anything but a body. Bodys can be pretty forgiving.

Comment

subscribed
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                  subscribed
                  signature plaid FTW :D
                  Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

1. what thickness padding is used and is it fused to the fabric before the "quilting" stitches or do you baste it down to the edges and just work from the center out as you described above?

1- well it all depends on what your doing. i will be refrencing the sport seat, the center section is all up to you, you can reuse the factory rubber if its not bad, i would suggest using 2" on the center sections. but the "quilting you speak of, would be either the vertical lines on the sport seat, or the horsontal lines on the M/vert seat. those are done by sandwiching your material- daycron(like batting)- then a heavy canvas or cadura, the reason for the backing is to pull the stich tight. with ourt the backing you would not get the pronounced lines you get. i find it easier not to glue the daycron just incase i need to move some stuff around, but you can "fuse" the layers if you find it easier.

2. when using regular fabric vs the leather do you reinforce the spots where the hog rings attach to the seats?

2- it depends on the material. i am using an expanded naugahyde, its a synthetic leather, that has a lot of streach in it and looks almost like it has foam backing. it is quite strong, we use this same material on our garbage truck seats, so ive seen it take some serious beatings. use a material you are comfortable with, i prefer the strech, i know how much the material will strech in certian areas. usually with the hog rings there is a small pouch sewn into the cover where a rod will go, that is what you hog ring to, not the material it-self. but if you needed to, you very well could hog ring to the material.

3. any tips for creating the leather wrapped console panels and is that a 1/2" allowance as well? i foresee the seams exposing themselves once they are taut and wrapped around the console.

3- ALWAYS HAVE 1/2" ALLOWANCE. ALWAYS. im going to assume you are talking about the french seam. assuming you understand how to make a strong, solid french, once it is completed, and ready to install you trim the inside, but there must be at least, the very least 1/8" from the stich.

hope this helps..
                    Proud Owner and Operator.
                    sigpic

Comment

thanks for the info, very helpful
                      sigpic

Comment

Great information.

Comment

Originally posted by taiden View Post
                          In for this, I was thinking of going with a camel tartan in my beige interior.

Here's a photoshop I did

No burberry jokes, please.

ethirtyis, I'd be very greatful if you did a quick DIY on upholstery, focusing on the tricks and less so on the obvious stuff.
                          HAHAH i was just going to say i want some BB patterns lmao beat me to it
                          my build thread:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=231612

Comment

Originally posted by sofargone561 View Post
                            HAHAH i was just going to say i want some BB patterns lmao beat me to it
                            :razz:

Burberry Nova is popular for a reason

Comment

anymore plaids or custom interiors??????????????

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X