full 6 point cage and a/c?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

full 6 point cage and a/c?

Ok, so this is probably a fairly random question but can you install a 6 point cage that fits tight to the chassis and goes through the dash while retaining working a/c vents?

This is probably the last thing on peoples mind when installing a cage, therefore I haven't seen anything throughout my searching...

I live in Florida and am hoping to be able to drive my car to and form the track, light weekend use, etc. Without a/c, not only does it suck in the heat, but the windows fog up like a mother when it rains and gets all steamy...

My six point cage doesn't go through the dash at all.

Once you go to a "full cage" which goes through the dash you have essentially determined the car will no longer be a street car, and therefore will no longer need A/C. I'm sure it can be done somehow, though I've yet to see it.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I found an local deal for a bolt in cage like the one you posted. As everyone always says, custom welded in is better by not in my case if I can't keep my a/c vents...was trying to
      Determine if I would pass it up, looks like I'm not now.

Comment

The real killer for the dash is the front crossbar-
        you could re- route the side vents, or just delete them
        if the center was enough, but the crossbar that
        connects the front downtubes gets in the way of everything,
        no matter how you route it.

If you left that bar out- not tragic for a track car- then you could probably
        figure out something for the side vents.
        Honestly, having one each way, I'd be more comfortable with the bars more forward
        and no cross bar..

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

You can build a cage like the old J-Stock cars that's fully contained within the passenger compartment. I built the cage on my 190E race car that way for class reasons...

Also integrated seat mounts to the cage...

There are some compromises when you do it this way, but it passes tech with all the major organizations. And it's safe enough for the kinds of speeds and situations we're in. It's not like an E30 is going to be running 320 km/hr at LeMans.
          sigpic
          1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
          2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
            My six point cage doesn't go through the dash at all.
            The only problem with that is you might never be able to remove the dash again.

If you keep the bars tight to the A-pillars, you'll have better protection and the dash can easily come out if needed. You'll lose the lateral A/C vents, but you can still direct cold air through the center vents and down to your feet.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
              I hope I never have to but if I do, I can if I unbolt and remove the front section of the cage.

Comment

If you keep the bars tight to the A-pillars, you'll have better protection and the dash can easily come out if needed. You'll lose the lateral A/C vents, but you can still direct cold air through the center vents and down to your feet.
                I like the sound of that at least. Going to need to do some thinking...And by thinking i mean negotiating with the girlfriend about only partial venting, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                  I hope I never have to but if I do, I can if I unbolt and remove the front section of the cage.
                  I didn't think about bolt-in cages. They're not legal in the groups I race with (unless you're grandfathered in). I suspect they'll be outlawed by most sanctioning bodies pretty soon, so it's probably best to go with a welded cage anyway.
                  sigpic

Comment

I didn't think about bolt-in cages. They're not legal in the groups I race with (unless you're grandfathered in). I suspect they'll be outlawed by most sanctioning bodies pretty soon, so it's probably best to go with a welded cage anyway.
                    Yep, if this were a track-only or dedicated race car it would absolutely have a permanent welded cage in it. Since it's a street-legal track toy, and due in no small part to the fact I got the bolt-in cage for next to nothing, that's what it has.

Comment

Working...
                    X