No announcement yet.

Ocell's 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It also may be that your radiator isn't getting warm enough in that area. If you have an infrared thermometer, easy to check that.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I know this thread has been silent for a year, but I've put some pretty significant work into the car.

Yesterday I finished installing one of Jakeb's turbo kits (http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=259174). I'm working on a vacuum leak or some issue right now, and I don't have exhaust yet, but I'm hoping to have it operating at 100% in time for an upcoming track weekend at Texas World Speedway in mid-May.

318is Turbo Install by Chris Owens, on Flickr

318is Turbo Install by Chris Owens, on Flickr
      Last edited by Ocell; 05-24-2016, 06:42 AM.
      91 318is Members' Rides Thread

Comment

Here are a couple videos from my last trip to Texas World Speedeway, back in February of this year. I wound up with a 2:06.0 for my fastest lap, a time I am absolutely THRILLED with. It was also my first weekend running solo (still had an instructor for a few sessions) so the 200lb weight savings really helped the car feel more responsive.

I'm hoping I can hit 2 minutes flat when I go back with the turbo next month.

Comment

Hah! I thought your username sounded familiar... This is Zach, invited you to the Austin E30 Coalition about a month ago. Awesome build, great to see the M42 getting some love. I'd definitely like to see it in person sometime!

Comment

Nice work man. M42 turbo all day. How did the the install process go?

Can't wait to see the new lap time.

1991 318iS Sterlingsilber - 1989 325i Cirrusblau (sold) - 1990 318iC Brilliantrot (sold)

Comment

Wanting to get the same turbo kit for my m42. Awesome build man!
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Daily: 06 Chevy Colorado (wannabe racetruck)
              Drift/Track Car: 91 Bmw 318i 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by SSE30 View Post
                Nice work man. M42 turbo all day. How did the the install process go?

Can't wait to see the new lap time.
                Thanks.

It was honestly a much bigger job than I was anticipating. It took me about 6 weeks working on weekends, ordering parts and tools as I realized I needed them. But that includes dropping the front subframe so I could re-seal the upper oil pan (paper gasket wasn't cutting it, I used Right Stuff this time), install a crank scraper (www.crank-scrapers.com), and swap out the stock head bolts for ARP head studs.

I kept A/C, so my intercooler got pushed out a lot further than what I think other people have dealt with. I had to trim a LOT of the valance and even notch the bumper to get everything back together.

It's my first time messing with forced induction so I've learned a ton every time I've stepped in the garage.

Yesterday I did my first successful test driving. The wastegate was holding 13 psi, so I didn't stay in the gas since I'm aiming for 12 max, but I should really start at 9 and work my way up to make sure the air/fuel mixture is healthy. Mostly I wanted to make sure the system would build boost, and IT DOES.

Here's a short video. Again, I got out of it once the boost stabilized.
                18 likes, 2 comments - Chris Owens (@ocell) on Instagram: "I'd say it works! I'm going to lower the boost to 12 max. #turbo #m42 #e30 #choochoo"

I took a ton of photos along the way, so I'm planning to post notes on the process here eventually.

Comment

Nice car and progress

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
                    Hah! I thought your username sounded familiar... This is Zach, invited you to the Austin E30 Coalition about a month ago. Awesome build, great to see the M42 getting some love. I'd definitely like to see it in person sometime!
                    Hey Zach!

I'm planning to run it on the dyno at the next Cars and Coffee I can make it to. I'll miss the next one because I'll be at Texas World Speedway that weekend, but I should be at the next one if there's not an autocross conflict.

Hopefully we can cross paths again soon.

Comment

Here are a couple zoomed-out shots of the engine bay. It should be all done now. Getting my exhaust set up tomorrow.

Finished M42 Turbo Engine Bay by Chris Owens, on Flickr

Finished M42 Turbo Engine Bay by Chris Owens, on Flickr

Comment

My trip to Texas World Speedway last week was great.

I was fighting some issues with the turbo, though. In my first session my temp gauge got into the red while running at speed on track, so I pulled off the track and let it cool. I was worried that my whole weekend was shot.

I pulled both headlight assemblies out to get direct air flowing over the turbo/manifold as well as into the air intake. That seemed to help a lot. I drove a hard lap or two, then backed off for a lap or two to cool things down again. The second day we had a cold front come through and the car never got past 3/4 on the temp gauge without needing to do cool down laps.

I tried to take some boost out of the motor with the wastegate setting to cool things down, but the tune didn't like that at all and I ended up ULTRA rich with no power. It took me a couple sessions to figure out what was happening (I'm new to this) and get the air/fuel ratio back in a range that the motor would operate.

I still have a strange issue where, even at 10psi of boost the motor is ultra rich (AFR gauge just reads 10.0 and power dies) at WOT at high rpm. So I had to drive my laps without putting the pedal to the floor, but the car had full power at 4/5 throttle so I was able to drive around the issue. The car was giving me enough speed that my driving skill had to catch up, so I didn't want to get greedy and increase the boost more to try to get WOT to work. I decided to just finish my weekend with a setup that I knew was working and work out the bugs later.

Here's a video of the session where I got my power issues sorted out and started putting down good lap times. There's a lot of fun traffic/passing as I chase this Mustang through the session.

This is my last and fastest session of the weekend. I was able to lay down six consecutive laps in the 2:02.xx time range. Solidly besting my old personal best of 2:06.0 from my last trip without the turbo. I'm thrilled.

I'm going to get a turbo blanket and exhaust wrap to see if that helps keep temps under control. I'll also push my coolant ratio to be more water (it's 50/50 antifreeze right now) and see how the car holds up in the Texas heat on track in June.

Comment

I took some time at the end of last year to focus on getting my 4Runner trail-worthy again, so not a ton of progress on the car.

I got a turbo blanket and wrap for the manifold and downpipe from PTP. That seems to have helped quite a bit with cooling, but I'm still running hotter than I'd like. A project I want to get done before the summer hits is to get an oil cooler setup figured out. I think I can do it with a Mocal oil filter housing plate, batinc.net seems to still carry them.

I'm also starting to look into engine management, probably Megasquirt. Working around issues with the stock AFM is just annoying.

This past weekend I drove from Austin to Tucson for the Roadkill Zip-Tie Drags. 1,800 miles of driving. The car did well except my mixture got super rich after a day on the highway. I'm not sure if I fouled my plugs (I'd been clocking the AFM spring to try to get some mixture dialed at low RPM) or if my fuel pressure regulator has a tear that's letting extra fuel into the rail. The car stayed drivable, and the problem mostly went away while I was at the drag strip, so I haven't been able to figure out the problem yet.

This was my first drag event. I got three passes.. my first two were 15.8s and my last was 15.5s. I'm pretty happy with that considering I'm chasing mixture issues. The trip was really about seeing all the other cars, seeing the Roadkill guys, and spending time on the road.

Comment

That must have been a fun event, did you get a chance to meet Freiburger and Finnegan?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                            Transaction feedback
                            - jpod999

Comment

Yeah, it was great. Unfortunately staging for a run took up so much time, I didn't get a lot of time to watch other cars run.

I saw the guys, but never had a chance to speak with them. I also saw Lucky and Dolcich. That was really cool.

Comment

I'm working on getting a Megasquirt 2 built for the car right now... I'm REALLY looking forward to learning the tuning process and getting the car smoother and safer to drive. Trying to tune with just the waste gate and AFM spring has me feeling like I'm chasing my tail.

I'm also planning out an oil cooler setup since my temps are too high on track. I think getting rid of the AFM (since Megasquirt will use a MAP sensor) will give me a nice spot to mount a remote oil filter. I'm planning to use the oil filter housing take off plate from Mocal. If anyone's tackled this before I'd appreciate any tips on which oil cooler you used.

In the meantime, a couple weeks ago I got to go out to Harris Hill for the first time in over a year. It was a cool morning (40s-50s) and damp, so traction was a struggle. Even still, I improved my previous pre-turbo lap time by around 3.9 seconds. And that was while the car was running ultra rich because that bug I mentioned in my last post popped up again.

Here's the video from the newest trip:

This was my first trip back to Harris Hill since I put the turbo on the car. It was a chilly morning (40-50s) and the track seems a lot bumpier than the last...

And here's my previous fastest session doing clockwise a couple years ago when the motor was stock, for comparison:

This was my first trip back to Harris Hill since I put the turbo on the car. It was a chilly morning (40-50s) and the track seems a lot bumpier than the last...

Comment

Working...
                                X