Seat + Harness Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat + Harness Mounts

About to start on the interior of my track car and I thought I'd get some knowledge from the track crew. My plans are fixed back seats, 6 point harnesses, and a custom welded in roll bar with harness mount provisions.

What is your preferred side mount and floor plate combination? I was planning on VAC for both, but the Motion Motorsports side mounts caught my eye as potentially saving a lot of time with getting the seats positioned. Garagistic, Bimmerworld, and a few others all make similar floor plate designs. Any pros or cons to any of them? Does anyone have first hand experience with the Motion side mounts?

How do you attach your sub and lap belts to the car? Is it best to weld on plates with anchors for each? VAC sells a sub belt mounting plate that bridges the floor mounts, is that a good solution?

It seems like the common floor plates also have a mounting provision on the back end of the bracket. Those are for the lap belts, right? Are those safe to use in lieu of welding on plates/anchors?
    Last edited by Digitalwave; 02-21-2017, 11:32 AM.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

I don't see any indication that MM mounts are compatible with e30s but I have the VAC setup and while it's pricey I like it. I'm really really tall and found it easy to find the correct seating position.

Comment

I believe that MM does not make any floor plates for E30's, but the side mounts should be universal with any other floor plates for E30s.

Did you just use the VAC side and floor mounts? Did you use their anti-sub mounting plate or lap belt mounting tabs?

RISING EDGE

Comment

I have VAC plates and side mounts. The plates fit and work well, but the side mounts could have a little more adjustment. They may work fine with some seats but mine really needs a little more rear-ward rake (1 hole up in front or down in rear) and it's already maxed out in that direction on the side mounts. I have a Momo Lesmo One fwiw.

I just drilled through the floor and use nut plates/big washers with GForce eye bolts. The Anti-sub mount they sell looks pretty good though
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
          I believe that MM does not make any floor plates for E30's, but the side mounts should be universal with any other floor plates for E30s.

Did you just use the VAC side and floor mounts? Did you use their anti-sub mounting plate or lap belt mounting tabs?
          Yes I got the plate that goes underneath the seat.

Comment

I'm using Bimmerworld floor mounts and OMP steel side mounts.

My Schroth belts came with threaded plates and eyes, so I'm using them for the lap and submarine mount points (drilled through the floor and tunnel); the shoulder belts are wrapped around the bar.

Originally posted by kronus
            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Didnt want to start a new thread

Just picked up a pair of Sparco sprints.. Would it be possible the stock mounts for them since they arent side mounts. If not any suggestions on mounts?

Comment

All Vac stuff here. I've never had an issue.

sigpic
                1991 318is S52
                1987 325i Vert
                1991 325i
                2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

We mounted OMP side mounts directly to the OEM locations.

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                  How do you attach your sub and lap belts to the car? Is it best to weld on plates with anchors for each? VAC sells a sub belt mounting plate that bridges the floor mounts, is that a good solution?
                  Are you keeping OEM belts for street or track only? You can use the factory threaded holes for some if you just need harnesses.

For sub:

I like clip-in belts and reinforcement plates with a hole for a rivet to provide anti-rotation. You don't need to weld in the harness plates.

Positioning of subs depends on 5 vs 6 pt belts obviously. You need to find a flat portion on the "rib" at seat centerline for the 5-pt, while the belt for each side is easier. But look at a racing rulebook for advice on how it should be mounted front to back. Or something from belt manufacturers or safety orgs (like SFI): http://www.gforce.com/pdf/Harness_Install_Info.pdf

There is some conflict on what you need to do with 5 pts (forward or aft of thru hole...)

Comment

I ended up ordering Motion side mounts, VAC floor plates, and Schroth Profi II harnesses (6pt). The harnesses come with the plates and eyelets like you linked to. I will probably mount those to the floor boards and do something similar for the lap belts. It will depend on where the seat ends up being positioned. My roll bar builder (a local race shop) is going to help with all the attachment points and harness setup once I purchase my seats. Going to go with the OMP HTE-R, but I am not sure if I am going to do the regular, 400, or Carbon yet, as they all fit a little differently.

Thanks for all the info in this thread!

RISING EDGE

Comment

Also consider what you are ultimately needing. In my cars there is usually a lot of different sized drivers, so I need the ability to make quick adjustments for driver changes, and so I prefer to use the Sparco sliders and mounts.

The bottom I have in one E30 is some no name one that I can't recall the brand. I also have some planted brackets in another car, as well a set of VAC's going in the new ST car. I have used the VAC style before in my car and another car we ran at the 25hour race at Thunderhill, and it wasn't bad. Helped when we used an oversized full enclosure seat for a larger driver we had on the team. Was able to position the slider base a little better in the driver area which allowed more adjustment front and rear.

Something to also consider which we have done a couple cars is to have your cage builder build the bottom brackets to tie in to the cage. This way you are not just relying on the floor of the car, but the strength of the cage to keep you in place..
                      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Good point. I am the only one that will be driving the car, thus I am not using sliders and my seat is going to be quite snug for a lot of people. As such, I think I am going to pick a passenger's seat that is a little larger for ride-alongs and instructors -- whom may not all be the same size as me.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Working...
                        X