Strange start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange start problem

I own a '86 (licensed 87) 316 with an M10 engine, this engine has always idled a bit unstable, idle speed varies around 100 RPM at all times, it even passed smog inspection with fliying colors, but now it has developed a strange (to say the least) condition.

On any start, be it cold or warm (remeber I live in Chile, so it is definitely never that cold in February) the car has to be cranked for a long time (5 to 10 seconds) until it coughs a little, it starts after a while (5 to 6 starts), where if i touch the acc. pedal the engine dies, until the idle starts by itself at 1500 rpms, then I have to pump repeatedly until i can hold the car at 2000 without stalling, then the car idles unstable (idle varies around 400 rpm up and down for some minutes (i can feel this at stoplights because I'm already on my way by now) until it gets halfway up to the 1/4 temp mark, then it goes back to idling as it did before, with 100 rpm variations.

NOTE: I do have doubts on how my vacuum hoses are connected, I bought the car 3 months ago and some hoses were missing and the hole plugged, then i replaced all the hoses and it ran almost normal (except for the 100 rpm idle oscillation), but now it just behaves wierd, and no work has been performed on the engine.

This feels a lot like an old falcon I had, where the fuel system would drain itslef back to the tank due to a faulty check valve, but this one has the idle condition, so I need help.
Working...
X