No announcement yet.

300whp NA m20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AHHHhhh to be 16 again and thinking bolt-ons can get you more than 20% increase. to get 300whp out of an m20. you'd need 370 at the crank which would run ~ $15k to get. not to mention it would run on race fuel and would be unstreetable and not pass any smog laws.
    Much wow
    I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      I once cut a huge hole in the hood of my car for a hood scoop. It looked fucking retarded, but I was a teenager so I thought it was cool.
      BAHAHAHAHA! You don't seem the type. Got any pics? I would love to see them.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
        AHHHhhh to be 16 again and thinking bolt-ons can get you more than 20% increase. to get 300whp out of an m20. you'd need 370 at the crank which would run ~ $15k to get. not to mention it would run on race fuel and would be unstreetable and not pass any smog laws.
        I'm not completely sure that it's possible to get 300rwhp out of an M20. If it is, though, on top of everything else, that motor will come with a very, very limited lifespan. I also don't think you'd get near there for $15k.

On the plus side, if the OP is actually after a 50% increase in power, well, that actually is possible. $Texas of course. Building a motor is hardly ever cheaper than swapping.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
          Nando, I believe he really is 16 from all the treads I have seen him make in the past few days in this section. Just a total lack of searching.

You want around 300hp? have you ever been in a 200hp car? that I think is still too much for a new driver. I don't want to hear shit about you driving in fields or some other shit.

Drive your e30 for a few years...YES!!! a few years and get better. While you are doing that SAVE for a turbo kit or a proper s52 swap. m20 strokers are AMAZING SCCA engines, that is about it unless you go to turbo them.
          haha yeah the first car i started off driving was my dad's 99' 540 and that car was fast. so say i start saving for a turbo for the m20, sorry guys i just dont know about an engine swap for some reason i like the m20 and want to keep it, about how much should i save up for a GOOD turbo kit that will let me maintain some sense of reliability. or is that not possible? will the m20 be able to even handle a turbo? it has 164k miles on it already. Thanks Fear appreciate any help/advise from you guys

Comment

Originally posted by travish325 View Post
            n/a..
            Yeah I know, but that's not reasonably possible so I suggested something that is.
            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              it means we can't tell if you're bullshitting us or not.

anyway, dude, you're 16. I don't want to paint every young guy with the same brush, but I was 16 once too... what are you going to do with 300hp? 154whp in a light RWD car is already plenty enough to get into trouble. I got into all kinds of shit in a 80hp 3200lb land yacht.

A stock E30 isn't fast compared to say, a modern sports car, but it's still pretty fast for a young guy with only a little bit of driving experience. Maybe look up the term "R3v'd" for some perspective.

I assume you really like your E30 - I doubt you'll want to crash it, and that's probably what will happen when an inexperienced driver has that much power.

You've already got some nice mods, although it doesn't sound like they're doing a lot for you (there are *stock* SpecE30 builds putting down more power than that with just a blueprint and balance). Save every penny you have, do maintenance so your E30 is reliable, and otherwise leave it alone.
              Nando what do the spece30 guys do to get more power than that? whats a blueprint and balance? maintenance is taken care of. not a THING wrong with that car.......$5000 later

Comment

Originally posted by -bimmerboy- View Post
                Nando what do the spece30 guys do to get more power than that? whats a blueprint and balance? maintenance is taken care of. not a THING wrong with that car.......$5000 later

Spec e30 guys have lots of rules on what they can and cant do.

As for turbo, thats a different story, Search over on e30tech.com in the forced induction sections and projects for info. You can build a veryyyy reliable m20 turbo with 300hp. Not to expensive either. Just please please please dont use ebay crap! Piece a kit together while you learn more about the m20 and learn how to handle it, a 300hp e30 can be pretty damn scary, but will be one of the best cars you will ever drive.

Comment

To add another thing: 300whp is a hell of a lot. It's more fun to learn to handle and push a car with less power especially when you're a kid. Even 200 at the wheels is going to be a handful and you'll have fun with it.
                  The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                  Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                  2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                  2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

I'm STILL driving a stock M10. That's right, 70whp of fury. Meanwhile my chassis is getting more and more hardcore in preparation for the day I do swap a better engine.

If you can't make 90hp fast you will never make 900hp fast.
                    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                      Even 200 at the wheels is going to be a handful and you'll have fun with it.
                      @16 you think you are the best driver on the road. @300whp the tree will tell you, you aren't.
                      Much wow
                      I hate 4 doors

Comment

it wouldn't be 370bhp (20%+ is a lot to assume) but it would still be difficult (expensive) to reach.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

the 19% is drivetrain loss
                          Much wow
                          I hate 4 doors

Comment

The Getrag doesn't eat 20%. Maybe the auto is close to that.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'm new to E30 so I will respectfully stay away from what you can and can't do with the m20....that being said let me give you a little advise from my 12+ years of build assorted cars and other projects.

1. If your buying a part that specifically advertises a certain "HP" gain......DON'T BUY IT. that number it relative to so many variable it's not even funny. You'd have to assume that everything was exactly the same on your car as the one the product was tested on, and that is assuming some advertising guru didn't just say hey, if we say it adds 25HP people will buy it! Stacking HP like that is just BS, welcome to the car world.

2. If the motor runs good now.....LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE!!! Here is a little life lesson that applicable to this situation. When I was in High school I had the hair brained idea to put a SBC into an S-10, so I did, I went from a 305 to a 350 then a stroker 383.....then I sold it and was pissed because of all the money I had spent on it. Why, because I all could do was beat everyone else to the next stop light. When these guys say maintenance and replace everything....SHUT UP AND LISTEN.....I'm building my first E30, and while it's not going to have the stock M20, my budget is MUCH larger then yours. but you want to know what I've spent all my money on so far.......I have stripped the whole car, and am replacing every bushing, bearing, tie rod, ball joint, shocks, springs, fixing rust, and the list goes on......do you see anything about me "build up the motor"? No, because I don't care if you have 70bhp or 9000bhp......Like it was said above if you can control it and get it to the ground your wasting your money.

Listen to these guys, a car with 100hp that handles like a race car is going to be way more fun. Also, the more power you make, the more stuff breaks, keep that in mind with your budget, do you really want to go out and flog the piss out of it, break it and have it sit while you walk to papa johns for 2 weeks making the money to fix it?
                              sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

the 19% is drivetrain loss
                                yeah but it's not realistic, and it's also not linear.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X