Ocell's 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys.

It's a daily driver, so I'm not sure I can add more low without seriously affecting the practicality of getting around town, unfortunately. I smacked the skid plate HARD on a bump in the road the other day. I'm so glad I had it on there.

I'm not sure I'd be able to reduce the gap much without going to something bigger than a 15" wheel (and I could be completely wrong). It's very much form-follows-function for me, so I don't mind how it sits now.
    91 318is Members' Rides Thread

Comment

I just got a heads up that I have a chance for some track time on Friday, so I'm going to bust my ass to get the car running after work this week.

It's going to be quite a bit of work for me... doing things the first time always takes forever, and it's all going to be in the dark. I'm also afraid of how many things I'll come across that need replacing as I work. But I've got my fingers crossed.

I'll be dropping the gas tank to replace the fuel line that goes to the filter, and swapping diffs to an LSD.

Comment

sub'd

FWIW I dig the wheels. keep the build and pics coming
        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Thanks Bradnic!

Speaking of things taking forever the first time... I just spent about an hour getting the car up on 4 jack stands and getting the wheels off. I was EXTREMELY deliberate about jack stand location and was very careful to raise the car very slowly, checking for slip or jack stand tilt. It doesn't help that my driveway is at a slight incline. It's small enough to be perfectly safe, but steep enough to keep me paranoid.

I need to get some of those jack stands with the round rubber tops. I've got the stands with the metal U tops... I rolled up some newspaper and put it in the U between the jack stand and the frame (as the Pelican article suggested) and that helped a lot.

Pretty boring post, but I'm just being honest about my progression in learning the car.

Comment

Thanks to a helping hand from my buddy Jeff, I made some good progress last night after work. We got the exhaust out, the old diff out, and the drive shaft out.

Progress by Ocell, on Flickr

Diff Upgrade by Ocell, on Flickr

The old diff is pretty toast. It feels very notchy/rough when turning the output flanges. I'm curious to open it up and see what's worn out. I'm guessing bearings? Ring tooth profiles? It feels too consistent to be broken teeth.

The new diff is SILKY smooth with absolutely no play. I'm pretty excited, you guys.

The task list tonight:
            - Hope my fuel lines come in today. (USPS "left a notice" according to my tracking info and didn't deliver them yesterday. Of course, there was no notice left.)
            - Drop fuel tank, replace lines, shove fuel tank back in to car.
            - Swap out rubber transmission mounts for Condor solid mounts while I've got good access to the support.
            - Put drive shaft back in, followed by diff and exhaust.

I'm afraid that the bearing at the middle of the drive shaft is toast. There seems to be a good bit of play, is that normal? I don't have time to wait for a new one to come in, nor time to run to the stealership. I guess that's going on the list for another day.

Comment

The short story is: I got the fuel lines replaced with off-the-shelf 5/16" injector rated hose. The hoses I got from Pelican are the wrong parts. I got the diff installed, and made it to my track day. Now I have fuel feed problems (I think I have a dirty tank that's killing fuel pumps) and a leaky diff (hopefully speed sensor o-ring). I'll go in to that more in-depth soon, along with some notes and photos on the work I did with the diff swap.

For now, here's a short video of my trip to Harris Hill Road. I'm still learning the car, so things started out pretty slow. But, the car REALLY impressed me. It was a ton of fun. I've got a ton of room to grow as a driver before this car will leave me wanting more, I think. I hope I can make it out there again soon.

This is from my first trip to Harris Hill Road Raceway. My fuel pump started giving out pretty early on, but it was still a blast!

Last edited by Ocell; 11-10-2013, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I've got a bad coolant leak on the engine block right next to the oil filter housing. So I think it's the o-ring on that coolant pipe right there, or the pipe itself. I've ordered new parts of both and I'm working on digging in to get to it.

I just pulled the fuel rail and this is what my injectors look like. Is this abnormally bad? If so, any ideas on problems it's indicating?

Comment

I'm thinking there's too much oil getting sucked from the valve cover. I may try a catch can I guess.

Comment

Ronals look sweet! Nice car

Comment

i love the ronals!

Comment

After months of things breaking right before an event weekend, I finally got to run the car in an autocross. I had done a couple track days with it, but I hadn't thrown it around an autocross course yet, so this was a big learning moment for me on how to handle the car around tight corners.

I'm not great, I know, but I had a ton of fun and the car is very quick and stable. The LSD is really paying off, and getting me in a little (fun) trouble when I get on the gas too early.

Brought out the new wrx scooby wagon today. Managed 4th in pax out of 81 with the oem tires. Spokes.org , San Antonio raceway 12-15-2013

Comment

Originally posted by Ocell View Post

Cool shot. Didn't know you had a thread! What's with the 4 door chasing you? :p
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                            Cool shot. Didn't know you had a thread! What's with the 4 door chasing you? :p
                            Oh, he wasn't chasing me... that was after I blew by him like he was standing still!

(For anyone reading, that's a lie. ForcedFirebird had time to do a full circle around me in the following straight.)

I'm not doing a good job of keeping the thread updated. I have a lot I need to add. Thanks for stopping by!

Comment

Aww yeah.

Comment

Here's some autocross action from this past weekend. Cold and damp. I finally put the pieces together on trail braking. This is not a fast run, but it was a fun run.

Comment

Working...
                                X