Putting a m42 head on m44?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting a m42 head on m44?

I need help and r3v has helped me more than anywhere else involving cars, anyways, my Ti needs a new head it's a 98' auto obd2 m44 but I can't find a new head that does not have cracks around the spark plug holes I've pulled 3 so far but I see alot of m42 that seem fine and they also have more metal cooling pipes than the m44 so I know they bolt on but what is the specifics of updating an m42 head to obd2 ?thanks guys

Put the whole M42 in. That way you get the better internals.....
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Can't really do that in cali I still Want to retain obd2 I just want to know how the wiring and cooling etc. Would work.

Comment

It isn't easily doable. The M44 uses a totally different cam setup with different durations and lifts, so for one the ECU would need a custom tuning job. Second, the cam position triggering system is also completely different and I am not sure if you can even swap on the trigger wheels to the M42 sprockets (or if you can swap M44 sprockets onto the M42 cams). The M44 cam sprockets are a different PN than the M42 ones.

As far as oiling and cooling passages, I think you are fine. My built up M42 uses an M44 head gasket. RealOEM shows a weird pipe conector thing being mounted on the back of the head, and I am not sure what that is or if it would fit on the M42 head. As far as the coolant temp senders go, I believe that the holes are the same.

Get on www.car-part.com and call some wreckers. In the end I think that it will cost you a lot less time and money to find a clean M44 head than to be the first to try to run an M42 head on an M44.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

thats what i was thinking would be the hard part is the hydraulic cams in the m44 probably are different to run than the m42 the back pipe is a shitty coolant plastic pipe that the m42 had cast as a reliable metal piece.

but your probably right just hate that the m44 had a bunch of plastic cooling bits and the m42 is mostly all metal

Comment

Could you not move ALL the parts from the M44 head onto the M42??

If the head casting itself is the same then everything should bolt right up??
            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
            Originally posted by roguetoaster
            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

I don't think the casting is the same different styles of lifters

Comment

The castings are pretty different on the top end. Cams and lifters are definitely not interchangeable.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

The heads are quite different and not really interchangeable.. Plus the sensors/wiring are a different design too.

Comment

internals are also different. m42 pistons and rods are forged. m44 internals are cast

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                    Ig:ryno_pzk
                    I like the tuna here.
                    Originally posted by lambo
                    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

The M44 head weighs prob 10lbs less than an M42 head. Wonder why they crack?! The sprockets are interchangeable (cams are not) and you need the front cover from your M44 head to use the correct cam sensor setup and fits perfectly on the M42 head. It runs off the opposite cam from the M42 so you could just change the on sprocket.
                      Only the crank is cast,
                      the rods are forged 5mm longer versions of an s52 rod. Lighter/better than M42 IMO.
                      You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
                      I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
                      Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

Comment

just in case some were wondering, you can switch the heads.
                        ive had success with swapping a m44 head on to a m42 block. just needed to convert everything over, including cam sprockets.

i dont see why it wont work if swapping vice versa

Comment

Originally posted by benz-tech View Post
                          the rods are forged 5mm longer versions of an s52 rod. Lighter/better than M42 IMO.
                          I don't know about that.

Left to right: M42, M44, M47, S50

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                            I don't know about that.

Left to right: M42, M44, M47, S50

Its possible that one on the right is a euro s50. I had us s52 rods in my hand that were nearly identical (minus 5mm) to my m44 rods, the caps being slightly different. I dont know about the alloy content of course but they were a good match by eye.

And back to the op, I'm running an M42 on an M44 block currently, but he probably figured that out already since this thread is nearly a year old.
                            You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
                            I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
                            Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

Comment

Heebers, look at that M47 pin diameter....

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                              X