No announcement yet.

Late model M42 Timing Case Swap info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the pictures, this thread is a wealth of knowledge for any future rebuild! What would you say was your biggest lesson learned or what would be most useful before starting?
    The fun never ends :-?

89 318iS
    R.I.P 89 325i coupe
    89 335iC

Comment

Ok guys time to update! Sorry I don't have any pretty pictures of a completed engine, but I think this is just as good :D

Got the car running, started off a bit noisy with the empty lifters, but once they pumped up it purred like a perfect little m42 should. After bleeding the coolant and lowering it off the stands I took it for a test drive and nothing broke/blew up/exploded so all was good!

So the next logical thing to do was have blind faith in my handy work and take a 430 mile roadtrip with the car up the coast with my girlfriend on our day off.

And......

Everything went off without a hitch. The motor screams and pulls strong *fingers crossed* doesn't leak a drop of anything. I'd like to thank everyone for all their help and suggestions!

-NICK

Comment

Right on, it I hope it goes as nicely as it looks!

Comment

Nice work man!!! I will build a sweet little m42 for myself one day. I love these motors.
          IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Well done, awesome information in this thread too.
            '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
            '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
            '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
            '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Awesome thread! I need to do the timing components on mine soon. Now I'm on the hunt for a late m42 timing case.
              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Congratz on the job well done!
                The fun never ends :-?

89 318iS
                R.I.P 89 325i coupe
                89 335iC

Comment

I got my hands on a timing case from a '95 318i today. After going through this thread and some others on m42club, it seems like the only other updated parts required for this are:

1.the metal gasket between the engine and case
                  2. the lower timing chain guide below the crank sprocket
                  3. new bolts for lower chain guide
                  3. the deflection rail (guide) that goes in place of the idler sprocket p/n: 11311739130

Am I missing anything? I'm replacing all the guides, sprockets, chain, etc while I'm there of course.

Also, the driver side chain guide (p/n: 11311247483) is around $200 anywhere online. That's insane but I guess I'll have to get it.
                  '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                  '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

If you're feeling ambitious rebuild the engine and upgrade the thrust bearing. With the head and timing case off of the engine you're already getting pretty close to the point where it's easy to pull.
                    Last edited by varg; 01-16-2016, 02:48 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                      If you're feeling ambitious rebuild the engine and upgrade the thrust bearing. With the head and timing case off of the engine you're already getting pretty close to the point where it's easy to pull.
                      Ahhh, yes, the thrust bearing. I've heard lots of bad things about that. I really don't want to do a full rebuild or anything like that but I'll have to do some more research on that bearing. My engine has been well cared for (regular oil changes w/synthetic) but it does have 260k on the clock. Do you have any experience with it?
                      '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                      '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
                        Ahhh, yes, the thrust bearing. I've heard lots of bad things about that. I really don't want to do a full rebuild or anything like that but I'll have to do some more research on that bearing. My engine has been well cared for (regular oil changes w/synthetic) but it does have 260k on the clock. Do you have any experience with it?
                        Nope, just stories and pictures from other people's experiences with it. Just gotta hope that in those 260,000mi the people driving it didn't feel the need to push the clutch in when starting.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 1-26

Comment

OP, where did you source the ARP head stud kit from?

Sent from my Samsung Note 4
                          '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                          '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Absolutely excellent thread and posts by the OP! I will be more or less following the same steps. Just sourced a late M42 timing case today in a junk yard too.

Comment

Working...
                            X