Helmet Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet Suggestions

What's up guys, I'm finally in the market for a helmet so that AutoX and track events can finally happen. The only problem is that I have tiny head, I wear a 6 5/8 fitted hat which is the biggest youth size. Are there helmets that are offered in that size or would I just have to buy tons of extra foam? Also, if you have recommendations for a helmet, please let me know, mainly needs to be comfortable and not lubriciously expensive :thankyou:
    C6Z
    S2K
    VeloN

I apparently have a tiny head too (is there a better word here than tiny? lol) and the small loaners at my local autocross fit just fine. I would be surprised if one of those didn't fit.
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
      I apparently have a tiny head too (is there a better word here than tiny? lol) and the small loaners at my local autocross fit just fine. I would be surprised if one of those didn't fit.
      That's what I was worried about is the smalls not fitting. Cool, I'll try one out and see what happens! Thanks!
      C6Z
      S2K
      VeloN

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
        (is there a better word here than tiny? lol)
        Compact.

A compressed brain increases its genius power. Although I have the opposite problem, a giant head. But it's big enough to store two brains in there.

The only problem is, Brain 1 says: Go faster! Whilst Brain 2 says: Slow down!

I don't pay attention to Brain 2.
        www.slapdashracing.com

Comment

can't go wrong with an Arai helmet. They are very comfortable and it is what they are known for. Quite expensive, but worth it.

Go to a motorcycle store that stocks a variety of helmets and try them out.

I currently ride with this
          1990 325i - Current Project
          2007 Triumph Speed Triple 1050

Comment

But do buy an S helmet, not an M.

Because at some level, eventually, you'll need the S to get on track,
            and there are enough small differences to make the S worth it...

...flammability being one...

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

If this is your first ever helmet, find a nearby motorsports seller and go try a few on, as you do not know which brands work well for your head (and its much better to try them on rather than going by hat size).

Once you have owned a few, you will have a good idea what brand(s) works for you and your size in that brand.

Do not go to a motorcycle place and try on motorcycle helmets, the fit and design is completely different,,, and don't buy a motorcycle helmet. Buy an SA helmet, some clubs do not allow M helmets.
              Jimmy P.
              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
              92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
              98 318Ti Morea Green
              04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
                If this is your first ever helmet, find a nearby motorsports seller and go try a few on, as you do not know which brands work well for your head (and its much better to try them on rather than going by hat size).

Once you have owned a few, you will have a good idea what brand(s) works for you and your size in that brand.

Do not go to a motorcycle place and try on motorcycle helmets, the fit and design is completely different,,, and don't buy a motorcycle helmet. Buy an SA helmet, some clubs do not allow M helmets.
                Check, check and check! Thanks!
                C6Z
                S2K
                VeloN

Comment

Retailers are trying to dump their SA2010 stock as 2015 just came out, making the 10's a good deal. Most racing bodies accept helmets for 10 years+, for example my SA2005 is good until Jan 1, 2017. Racequip, pyrotech and geforce make decent entry level helmets, most important brand/type of helmet is one that fits properly.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
                    Retailers are trying to dump their SA2010 stock as 2015 just came out, making the 10's a good deal. Most racing bodies accept helmets for 10 years+, for example my SA2005 is good until Jan 1, 2017. Racequip, pyrotech and geforce make decent entry level helmets, most important brand/type of helmet is one that fits properly.
                    ^ This. I have a cheap Bell. Its a little heavy, but it works.

Will
                    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Just ordered one, got a RaceQuip Pro15 SA2015 from SafeRacer.com, great customer service, looking forward to May 23rd at Laguna! Thanks all for the help!
                      C6Z
                      S2K
                      VeloN

Comment

Originally posted by CarsonE30 View Post
                        Just ordered one, got a RaceQuip Pro15 SA2015 from SafeRacer.com, great customer service, looking forward to May 23rd at Laguna! Thanks all for the help!
                        I just picked up the same one a few weeks ago, as my previous SA2005 is no longer accepted in Lemons. Seems like a decent quality helmet, although the sizing is weird. It's loose around the bottom in the cheek area, but tight at the top, around the crown. Reading reviews online, that's a common complaint. I'm just going to deal with it.
                        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                        e30 restoration and V8 swap
                        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Lots of solid advice here for future helmet buyers. I just went down this road myself this week, and ended up with a Stilo ST5 GT Composite with top air, earmuff speakers and mic, hydration port and HANS posts, since I am building my Spec E30 and will be doing track days in anticipation of my competition license. The Stilo is a little pricey, but a wise man once told me "if you have a cheap head, buy a cheap helmet."

Good news is the Snell 2015 means it's good for 10+1 years, so I won't have to buy one again until 2027. It is a long term investment. I also really like Arai, and had an Arai Quantum R and now have an Arai RX-7 Corsair for my motorcycle. Can't go wrong with either brand.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                            I just picked up the same one a few weeks ago, as my previous SA2005 is no longer accepted in Lemons. Seems like a decent quality helmet, although the sizing is weird. It's loose around the bottom in the cheek area, but tight at the top, around the crown. Reading reviews online, that's a common complaint. I'm just going to deal with it.
                            Loose around the bottom is not good fit-wise, but they probably have sizing pads, and you can fix that. I would check with the manufacturer. Sounds like maybe the shell shape doesn't match your head shape. I learned this when I was buying my first motorcycle helmet, and really wanted a Shoei, because there was a Scott Russell replica that I had my eye on, but the thing hurt my forehead. I tried on an Arai Quantum R, and bought it on the spot. For my particular head shape, it was perfect. I don't know if they still do, but Arai used to actually make different shell shapes to fit different head shapes, so you could find the one that was the right basic shape, and then adjust it with pads for the perfect fit.

Good luck with the pads, I hope they have some for you. It's very important for your safety that the helmet fits well, and snugly.

Comment

I went to Wine Country Motorsports and got fitted for a helmet. Of all the ones they had available, the large eyeport Bell helmet fit me the best and was nowhere near the top end of my budget range!

I highly recommend anybody looking for a helmet to go to a shop and try a bunch of helmets with an experienced fitter helping you.
                              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Working...
                              X