Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the Toyo R1R price drop or is it just me???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the Toyo R1R price drop or is it just me???

Even R888 prices are within a few bucks of the Star Spec... what gives? I was about to order some star specs, but if I can get stickier tires, I just might!
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...45&diameter=16

Even R888 prices are within a few bucks of the Star Spec... what gives? I was about to order some star specs, but if I can get stickier tires, I just might!

Wow, they sure did go down! I paid around a grand for the set of 888s for my 911, it looks like they would be 600 something now.
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Looks like they changed the Treadwear from 140 to 200. Wonder if the compound really changed or if this is a marketing move to try and get back in to the Low Buck street tire series.
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

From few racers that have used them in lemons they suck with a car that weighs more than 2500 lbs or has a decent amount of hp/tq. They wear too fast, we have stuck with the Direzza's.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Kinda wondered about that.

The Direzza's to me, are the RA1 or the Chump/Lucky Dog world. They are predictable, have good life, and are forgiving when pushed over the edge.
          2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Yea I wanted to stick with the Dunlops, I really didnt want to have mismatched tires. The T1R used to be the bizniz years ago, so I thought the R1R would be even better. I think I will stick with the Dunlops
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Miss the T1R's they were great everyday tires with decent level and quiet.
              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Wonder if the compound really changed or if this is a marketing move to try and get back in to the Low Buck street tire series.
                They did that to the RA1 when they became the Speed World Challenge tire, back about 15 years ago. One day, 60, the next, 100. Same tire, different number on the side.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Hell yes the T1Rs! I ran them on my rx8 exclusively, loved those tires.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                    Hell yes the T1Rs! I ran them on my rx8 exclusively, loved those tires.

There are still a lot of good T1R sizes sold in the UK. With the pound being so weak right now, it's tempting to put an order in...
                    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...45&diameter=16

Are the r888 that much grippyer than the star specs?
                      I am running star specs now, but it looks like i can get r888 for about the same price. These would be for track use only, maybe driving to and from the track. I hear the r888 cycle out too quickly for the grip they offer.

Comment

I ran the old r888 once. Only once.

Actually, many PRO3 guys ran them for a very, very short bit. And promptly went back to the RAs. They were not popular..

Are they better maybe than a Star Spec? Perhaps, but that's Apple's to oranges. The Star Spec are a street tire that performs well in the dry and the rain, the 888's are supposed to be an R type tire that can be used at wets or shaved to be used as dry tires. It sucked in both cases for our class (and SE30.)

If it was my money, I get the Star Specs.

The new 888 design though has me curious. It looks like they are trying to copy the NT01. Or something..
                        2016 Ford Flex

Comment

I liked my RA1s, I wish I could get some in a 14 still. I've heard the R888 is the same rubber compound but the casing is different and they wear strangely.

I'm not all that impressed with the Star Specs, I'd rather run the Hankook RS3s. The RS3s are a lot cheaper as well.

Will
                          '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                          '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                          '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Dang thats cheap. Was about $900 for 225/50r15 R888s a few years ago. They are on backorder though..
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'd like to run 245/45/16 R888's on 16x8 style 5's square on my M3! In fact I have a spare set of style-5's in the shed. Too bad the R888 isn't as good as the NT01. Too bad there isn't good NT01 sizes in 16".
                              My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X