No announcement yet.

e30 M3 Roll bar work in standard e30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know about autopower, but kirk definitely builds a bolt in 6 point cage.

Comment

Originally posted by Widebody325 View Post
      Your telling me a roll bar goes bad over time? Unless it was in a wreck its fine. I make roll bars for a living btw.
      I thought that was funny too, maybe steel gets soft after a while, like a penis
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
        The guy wanted $300 for it, so probably not going to get anything made for that price unfortunately. I think someone snatched it up already as I haven't seen it on craigslist anymore....
        Swing by the shop and I can make you one. ;)

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
        I thought that was funny too, maybe steel gets soft after a while, like a penis
        ERW was outlawed in most sanctions, as mentioned above. Otherwise, no, they don't "go bad" or "get outdated".
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

where were the 6 pts??????...curious
          6 point harnesses are for when you're lying down, like in a formula car.

5 pts are for when you're mostly vertical.

4 pts are for posers who want to die of internal injuries when the lap belt
          gets pulled up over their pelvises (pelvi?)

3 pts work ok in street cars, where you don't hit so hard and then roll 16 times

Oh, you meant- most roll bars contact the body in 4 major places, whereas a cage usually
          has a minimum of 6 pads. If a roll bar contacts the body in more than 4, it's special,
          and gets its own line in tech.

hee

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            6 point harnesses are for when you're lying down, like in a formula car.

5 pts are for when you're mostly vertical.

4 pts are for posers who want to die of internal injuries when the lap belt

gets pulled up over their pelvises (pelvi?)

3 pts work ok in street cars, where you don't hit so hard and then roll 16 times

Oh, you meant- most roll bars contact the body in 4 major places, whereas a cage usually

has a minimum of 6 pads. If a roll bar contacts the body in more than 4, it's special,

and gets its own line in tech.

hee

t

I agree with all of this except for your statement about 6 pt. harnesses.
            5 and 6 pt. harnesses can be used interchangeably. Both can be used for upright seats in touring cars and both can be used for laying flat in a formula car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Just wanted to bump this up with my personal experience. I picked up an autopower roll bar that was cut out an M3 and was part of a 6 point cage. I trimmed the nubs off that were the bars moving forward and I had a fabricator build plinth boxes for it and weld it into the car. It wasnt an issue since it was out an M3, the only thing I am not super excited about is the rear bars go to the wheel well, not the shock tower, but the fabricator said he can work with it even though its not ideal, nor how he wouldve built it if he was doing it from scratch. Everything will end up costing me around $700 which isnt horrible. I will post all the pics of it once I pick up the car tomorrow.

Next and final step to race prep is getting the harness. Im still on the fence about a 5 or a 6 point belt.
              Last edited by 2mAn; 12-06-2016, 09:25 AM.
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

y on fence?

I ran 5 pt for over 10 yrs.....but if buying new now I would not consider 5....only 6...

6 pt are more forgiving in the hairy spots......lol

and yes as T said they were developed for more of a formula laid down driver..but over the yrs most went to six.

Just curious y youd consider 5?
                I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
                  y on fence?

I ran 5 pt for over 10 yrs.....but if buying new now I would not consider 5....only 6...
                  Ive basically been leaning towards 6 from the beginning but not sure of the biggest difference between the 5 and the 6. Protects the jewels more? I havent had kids yet and I still plan on it lol
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

well, its your call.........buuuuuut,

its not always ez to get 5 to lay comfortably.....6 is just ez, and always comfy.....

and Ive never ran 6...lol....but I sat in like 100 cars over the yrs w/6..........it convinced me for sure.......

do 6

go sit in both...and strap in........then decide. Dont listen to every1.......some folks know very little...

Comment

6 it is lol
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

annnnnd....

if u dont need the best of the best.......and budget is a concern......

get GForce belts....they may not be as light or as flexible as say Schroth...and may not have the bestest hardware.......but they are a great value.......

or get the best.....Schroth....Willans.......$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Racequip also makes great quality 6 pt.s for the value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
                            Racequip also makes great quality 6 pt.s for the value.
                            Ive actually been looking at the racequip ones, Im tempted to get the green belts ;D Its been the accent color on an otherwise basic alpine white e30

edit: The Schroth Clubman 6 pt looks like a damn good deal

Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

We have been using OMP pretty much exclusively (friend is a local rep) and more important than 5 or 6 has been the type of pull on the belt. They are fairly easy to tighten when the lap belt pulls down, not no much (specially in an e30) when they pull up. You have to reach between the seat and door bars when they pull up - very difficult to adjust mid-race.

As far as 5 or 6, they both are going though a single hole in the seat when upright, so even if you make two anchor points, it will still act as a 5pt - ie your nuts will still take a beating in a head-on. That being said we still always buy the same belts for all the cars (OMP pull down with 2" HANS-friendly shoulders ~$350msrp).

The link above is for a full 3" shoulder - we get the 2" shoulder for HANS compatibility. If you plan on racing later, make sure you take that into consideration. Saving $70-100 on a belt now when you have to buy another one later is counterproductive.
                              Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 12-06-2016, 01:14 PM.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:
                              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

My seat also isnt accepting of HANS devices, and my plan from the beginning has been that this seat/ harness combo will eventually be the passenger seat when I can upgrade to a higher level of equipment.

Whats the difference between the 2" and 3" ??

**sorry for turning this thread into a harness discussion, but I think its still valuable to anyone looking to add a roll bar so... :) **
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X