Rotrex Supercharger Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotrex Supercharger Thoughts?

Anyone know much about these systems? They are 'supposed' to produce 240hp from a stock M20 engine. It's about a $4k price tag.

For 3k you can get 300 WHP if you build your own turbo system. Just as reliable if you take your time and buy quality parts. For 4k you could have 350-400 WHP. Turbo lag is a myth by the way, it all depends on where you want your power :)

e30tech is where you want to go if you're looking for real power....
    Last edited by Kilomph; 02-16-2006, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I drove a Rotrex equipped G60 Corrodo...rucking frocket, I tell ya.

I love the idea myself, especially the part of someone else coughing the dollas first.
      Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Rotrex units are known to fail if you push them more than 11 PSI. I f you want a compat unit, + - easy to install and run, maybe this is your ticket, of corse if you want a little "Boost" in your engine and not looking for moderate-high power.
        Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
          I drove a Rotrex equipped G60 Corrodo...rucking frocket, I tell ya.

I love the idea myself, especially the part of someone else coughing the dollas first.
          Luke
          not to drift OT tooo much
          I wanted a corrado something bad a couple years ago, read so much on vwvortex about the superchargers self destructing and expensive repair / replacement (couple grand by only a couple shops -- one in canada I think) i bailed on the idea plus they dont seem to plentiful.

Comment

If you're going to road race, don't even bother with a turbo. Superchargers are fine for road racing, because the only viable turbo boost levels for that sort of driving are attainable with a supercharger, but the supercharger has infinitely better response compared to a turbo.

Really, it depends on what you want from the car as to which direction you should go.

Comment

but the supercharger has infinitely better response compared to a turbo.
              lol !

Seems you dont know what you are talking.

Well it rally depends on what terms are you refering to better response. If you talk about "instant boost" well the S/C will kick first, but if you mean "the whole response" turbo is best by far.
              Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Instant boost IS response. You know, throttle response? A turbo has to spool and has no hardline connection to the engine, therefore the response will ALWAYS be worse. The fact that you claim a turbo will have better response than a supercharger really only goes to show how little you know about forced induction. Even hard core turbo junkies will always admit that a supercharger has better throttle response.

Comment

I haven't seen too many supercharged M20s on the net, because people go different routes. I'd say do it Mike, and be different.

If I had around 4gs to spend I'm considering going with a Rotrex unit for my M50. That is some distance away though. And, with 4k you could be putting in something else, like an entire engine.

325i E36
                  Stock::::::::::::::::158.2 WHP | 154.9 Ft/Lbs
                  AA Supercharger::::248.6 WHP | 216.4 Ft/Lbs
                  RW Gains:::::::::::::90.4 WHP | 61.6 Ft/Lbs
                  Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Oh I don't plan to mod my M20... it's my DD... I was just wondering if it was worth importing..

Thanks for the ideas and comments guys.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                      I haven't seen too many supercharged M20s on the net, because people go different routes. I'd say do it Mike, and be different.

If I had around 4gs to spend I'm considering going with a Rotrex unit for my M50. That is some distance away though. And, with 4k you could be putting in something else, like an entire engine.

325i E36
                      Stock::::::::::::::::158.2 WHP | 154.9 Ft/Lbs
                      AA Supercharger::::248.6 WHP | 216.4 Ft/Lbs
                      RW Gains:::::::::::::90.4 WHP | 61.6 Ft/Lbs
                      you should look at the Eurosport Twinscrew...

kyle
                      1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
                      DILLIGAF

Comment

Originally posted by Insanity
                        Instant boost IS response. You know, throttle response? A turbo has to spool and has no hardline connection to the engine, therefore the response will ALWAYS be worse. The fact that you claim a turbo will have better response than a supercharger really only goes to show how little you know about forced induction. Even hard core turbo junkies will always admit that a supercharger has better throttle response.
                        That's why I quoted "response" , yes a S/C will response or make boost earlier....but a if you want a fast spool and no virtual lag, you have to choice a properly saized turbo and must be BB system.

It's not me that I say this, there are few guys in bimmerforums that has aM3 S/C and drove some M3 turbos (Kits that make a special company for the M3's) and said it was nicer to drive and he couldn't believe the car almost didn't have "lag" , and the whole response was better than his Dinan/Aftercooler S/C M3......go and discuss with him if you want. enough to me here.

bye

Comment

Originally posted by diegom6
                          That's why I quoted "response" , yes a S/C will response or make boost earlier....but a if you want a fast spool and no virtual lag, you have to choice a properly saized turbo and must be BB system.
                          Right, just like mitsubishi claims the EVO has no lag (yet in each successive generation, they claim to have solved the "lag problem). Also, I'm not talking about drag racing, I'm talking on throttle/off throttle. The response is not only extremely unlinear with RPM (as a centrifugal supercharger), it's also extremely unlinear as compared to throttle position, whereas NO type of supercharger is non linear as compared to throttle position.

It's not me that I say this, there are few guys in bimmerforums that has aM3 S/C and drove some M3 turbos (Kits that make a special company for the M3's) and said it was nicer to drive and he couldn't believe the car almost didn't have "lag" , and the whole response was better than his Dinan/Aftercooler S/C M3......go and discuss with him if you want. enough to me here.
                          Yes, it quite possibly has a better power curve as compared to RPM(since dinan uses a centrifugal SC), but not throttle position. Turbos never do.

Comment

Originally posted by Insanity
                            Right, just like mitsubishi claims the EVO has no lag (yet in each successive generation, they claim to have solved the "lag problem). Also, I'm not talking about drag racing, I'm talking on throttle/off throttle. The response is not only extremely unlinear with RPM (as a centrifugal supercharger), it's also extremely unlinear as compared to throttle position, whereas NO type of supercharger is non linear as compared to throttle position.

Yes, it quite possibly has a better power curve as compared to RPM(since dinan uses a centrifugal SC), but not throttle position. Turbos never do.
                            byt he way, I forgot to mention. Twin Screw has the fastest throttle response or boost build repsonse, but the con of it, is at high RPM's always lose boost or start to decrease some PSI's......

Comment

Originally posted by diegom6
                              byt he way, I forgot to mention. Twin Screw has the fastest throttle response or boost build repsonse, but the con of it, is at high RPM's always lose boost or start to decrease some PSI's......
                              Roots superchargers are actually the best for the low end, twin screws are a very good compromise of high and low, and centrifugal supercharges are just a belt-driven turbo.

Comment

Working...
                              X