Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M10 turbo Set Up

hi all,

i would like to know after installing turbo on my M10 ( 318i ) how should i set up the engine and turbo working management? because as i know, it cant be set up from the ECU its got... someone told me it needs mechanical tuning... so i am lost... dont know what to do...

Originally posted by volgapower View Post
    hi all,

i would like to know after installing turbo on my M10 ( 318i ) how should i set up the engine and turbo working management? because as i know, it cant be set up from the ECU its got... someone told me it needs mechanical tuning... so i am lost... dont know what to do...
    If you choose staying with 318i L-jetronic there variables that you can adujust are:

1. Fuel pressure, install overpresure sensing regulator.
    2. Injector rating, somthing like 250cc/min would be absolute minimun in cahrged 1,8l 4 cylinder engine. Big l-jetronic injectors are hard to find.
    3. Air flow meter, alter air flap pretension fit your injectors to engine airflow.
    4. ingnition timing, basic thumb rule is that home charged engine can't use as much spark advance as original N/A did. Luckily M10 engines have old style distributor, so basic timing can be altered, and with some work even advance curves can be modified.
    Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
    BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
    BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
    BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post
      4. ingnition timing, basic thumb rule is that home charged engine can't use as much spark advance as original N/A did. Luckily M10 engines have old style distributor, so basic timing can be altered, and with some work even advance curves can be modified.
      Can you elaborate on that please? I know the base advance can be adjusted but how do you go about the reducing the advance at higher boost/rpm?

Comment

rocla i have a garret T3/4 eclipse intercooler and piping and eclipse injectors...

Comment

Originally posted by Borat View Post
          Can you elaborate on that please? I know the base advance can be adjusted but how do you go about the reducing the advance at higher boost/rpm?
          Are you familiar how centrifugal(<-spelling?) andvace works?

The chages to spark advace curve can be by modifying centrifugal weights and spings in distributor.

More agressive curve can be achieved by using softer advance spring, grinding material off from the "anchor"(the bottom of the part where distributor cap mounts) and lightening the centrifugal weights.

Once you you have made steepper curve, fabricate limiters between weights and the pin that limit the movement, doing that limits maximum advance.

After modifying distributor you have advance curve that raises quicker and has less maximum advance, so basic timing has to be set early.

To achieve optimum advance curve is time consuming, and only good way is to run car on dyno try different combinations in distributor.

Hard but possible.
          Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
          BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

i think its impossible to make ignition (i think) to raise with each 1psi... i gave up, nobody can set up my car in georgia :(

f..King former soviet union!!!

Comment

i think its impossible to make ignition (i think) to raise with each 1psi... i gave up, nobody can set up my car in georgia :(

f..King former soviet union!!!
              Get stand alone management, I'm sure someone over there is capable to install and tune it.
              Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
              BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

You want to retard the ignition with more boost. If you don't want to go aftermarket and don't want to stuff round with the dizzy you can get yourself a Boost Timing Master, MSD make them. You can set retard ignition so much per psi of boost. Only problem with them (or early ones at least) is that they start retarding as soon as positive pressure is reached, ideally you could wait until say 7psi is reached and then start retarding ignition.

Comment

i'll get a 2.5 engine and build 2.7 !!! thats what i will do no turbos and such things on old engines :(

Comment

i'll get a 2.5 engine and build 2.7 !!! thats what i will do no turbos and such things on old engines :(
                    bollocks, watch this space...

Comment

BORAT before i get the positive pressure, i'll get the deadly detonation, which will kill the engine :(

ROCLA stand alone engine managment kits kost ~$2000 thats too much, i cant afford

damn has noone turbocharged his M10 318i ????

Comment

plenty of people have. I have seen 2 that are using stock ecu and one of those is getting 185 rwhp with a MSD BTM and larger injectors.

Just do a low psi setup and get plenty of fuel in there. You should be fine but if you aren't just get another engine and try again with less boost/more fuel/less ignition or whatever. Dunno about you but over here people are practically giving away M10's.

Comment

Working...
                        X