Reliability of turbo'd M20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reliability of turbo'd M20?

Initially, I wanted to drop an S52 into my car; but after talking to my friend who's a BMW mechanic, I'm toying with the idea of slapping a turbo on the stock motor. It would be a whole lot cheaper, and maybe less work? I'm not too sure about that latter point. Anyway, how reliable are the turbo setups on these cars? I want to track the car, so it's going to be run hard. And how much power could I expect if I go with this?

V1 - Debadged - Painted Reflectors - Black Kidneys

1987 325e

Power-wise, I've seen from 225-310 rwhp. It varies greatly depending on your tuning and the manifold/turbo/etc you use.
    '89 325i track sloot
    '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

www.e30tech.com....
      :: PNW Crew ::
      '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Originally posted by backtrail69 View Post
        werd.

r3v is more for swaps.

Comment

It depends how greedy you are. I cannot stress enough that especially with turbos, it all comes down to the saying: "Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick two."

A turbo M20 setup can be very reliable.
          Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
          EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
          FullOpp Stickers for sale!
          NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
          Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
          ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

with proper tuning it can be reliable. just don't expect to run 10psi with the stock ECU and have it last very long..
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yea...i was...key word was pushing about 15psi on a stock b25 with megasquirt, but after about 10,000 miles, the rings are shot, and im gettin alot of blow by.

my motor was an auto, and it was turbocharged at about 125,000 miles. I've blown my headgasket doing 145mph around 132k, and im at 138k right now, rings are basically toast, and my injectors are not up to the task of making the motor push more than 13psi right now.

"Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick two."

this is truly the ultimate saying.

When i do take another shot at it, im gonna take the Fast and Reliable route...

but be advised that I chose Cheap and Fast, and it only lasted me 10,000 miles.

Your choice.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
              PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

You know how hard you're stressing your motor at 145mph though? Even a stock motor... that's a lot. Aerodynamics is making your engine's life a living hell.

I've done 10,000 miles. Havent burned a quart of oil yet. *knock on wood*
                Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
                EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
                FullOpp Stickers for sale!
                NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
                Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
                ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Well, my car is going to be my track car, so 10k miles is going to be a lot. I like that saying though, it really applies to any motor.

V1 - Debadged - Painted Reflectors - Black Kidneys

1987 325e

Comment

Working...
                  X