Position 3 Users, Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Japandrew73 View Post
    I know my plan of running the viscous isn't pleasant for everyone to hear, but I'm not taking shortcuts, I'm doing it right. No electric fans
    How is using an electric fan "not doing it right." It's practically an upgrade.

Lets hear two examples of "doing it wrong":

- Fucking up your all important front subframe.
    - Screwing up your bump-steer.

Pull your head out of your ass. I bet the only way to run the stock fan is to trim the blades. And since I just told you that - I can already hear the dremel or bench top grinder whizzing away. Not sure why you have a hard on for a fan - but what ever...
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
      How is using an electric fan "not doing it right." It's practically an upgrade.

Lets hear two examples of "doing it wrong":

- Fucking up your all important front subframe.
      - Screwing up your bump-steer.

Pull your head out of your ass. I bet the only way to run the stock fan is to trim the blades. And since I just told you that - I can already hear the dremel or bench top grinder whizzing away. Not sure why you have a hard on for a fan - but what ever...
      Why does this always happen on this forum? All I wanted was answers not criticisms. You do your shit your way I'll do mine my way.

Comment

Why does this always happen on this forum? All I wanted was answers not criticisms. You do your shit your way I'll do mine my way.
        That's one of many reasons why most of newer bmw cars are not as good as older BMW made in germany.
        324td fan-clutch and blade would be the way to go.
        http://www.kingofeurope.net/2010/

Comment

Okay here is a question, how much clearance do you have to the radiator from the fan?

Any way you could move the engine forward slightly so as not to hit the steering rack?

Comment

Ok. But, why do you think a electric fan is "cheating" - or not right? I can't for the life of me find one redeamable reason why "your way" and "the retard way" are not one in the same.

Why don't you explain to us your thinking.
            Last edited by george graves; 03-01-2010, 12:34 AM.

Comment

How about this, instead of cutting up the subframe (an essential suspension component) why not notch the rad support in an effort to grant enough clearance to get your viscous fan in there?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                How about this, instead of cutting up the subframe (an essential suspension component) why not notch the rad support in an effort to grant enough clearance to get your viscous fan in there?

I would love to notch his moms bed post

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

I'm not going to be "cutting up" the subframe, I'm going to be notching it just as you said to do with the radiator, which I will not be notching.

Ok. But, why do you think a electric fan is "cheating" - or not right? I can't for the life of me find one redeamable reason why "your way" and "the retard way" are not one in the same.

Why don't you explain to use your thinking and maybe we would be inclined to help more.
                  Well it's not cheating, but it's the easier and quicker way. The way I see it, people use electric fans to eliminate the strain of 1-2 hp it puts on the motor and they put in an electric fan because they think it cools better (much like aftermarket exhaust). The viscous fan is pretty fool-proof, is known to cool the engine properly, and eliminates and kind of future cooling issue with an electric fan. I'm not only choosing position 3 just to use the fan clutch, I'm choosing it for the center of gravity as well. To each his own on the method of cooling though, my mind is set.

Comment

Well the problem with notching the subframe is it sees a substantial amount of force and the notches would add weak points to said subframe.

The rad support would be overall easier to notch, considering the material that the two are made of.

Just a suggestion.

Comment

Gotcha.
                      So then I would think trimming the fan blade will do it.

Or notching the oil pan. Or spacers down subframe.
                      or JUST PUTTING DOWN THE METH PIPE! j/k :D

But if your really do meth, stop it.

Comment

Well it's not cheating, but it's the easier and quicker way. The way I see it, people use electric fans to eliminate the strain of 1-2 hp it puts on the motor and they put in an electric fan because they think it cools better (much like aftermarket exhaust). The viscous fan is pretty fool-proof, is known to cool the engine properly, and eliminates and kind of future cooling issue with an electric fan. I'm not only choosing position 3 just to use the fan clutch, I'm choosing it for the center of gravity as well. To each his own on the method of cooling though, my mind is set.
                        Wow.

Well the problem with notching the subframe is it sees a substantial amount of force
                        Question Danny. What do you mean by that? For example. If I were doing 60 MPH, and I stood on my breaks. All the built up momentum, all that force, where does all that force pass through?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                          Wow.

Question Danny. What do you mean by that? For example. If I were doing 60 MPH, and I stood on my breaks. All the built up momentum, all that force, where does all that force pass through?

You know, I could be wrong, and if I am by all means correct me. But do the control arms not spread at least some of the force during cornering to the subframe? Also, just the amount of weight the subframe has on it would concern me. But like I said, I could be wrong. It's late and I've had a long day.

Comment

This is mostly wrong. People use electric fans in the e30 application because clutch fans don't fit. To get a fan to fit, you probably have to trim it, which cuts down on its cooling efficiency to the point where you're probably going to need an electric aux fan, anyway.

You're being stubborn for no reason here, which is why your thread went the way it usually does.
                            cars beep boop

Comment

Andrew, how can you say clutch fan is fool-proof and electric fans are a shortcut? How is notching a subframe doing it "right" or how is it better than notching or modyfing a less of an important part of the car such as radiator support (not radiator itself like you are thinking)? Quote - "I'm not going to be "cutting up" the subframe, I'm going to be notching it just as you said to do with the radiator, which I will not be notching."

It's the statements like these that cause people to give you a hard time on the forum.

What you are saying above are your opinions and not facts.... think about millions of cars that do not have fan clutches from the factory...are they all doing it wrong?

just my 2 cents.
                              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                                What you are saying above are your opinions and not facts.... think about millions of cars that do not have fan clutches from the factory...are they all doing it wrong?

just my 2 cents.
                                No I completely agree with what you're saying. I don't mean any disrespect toward anybody here who used an auxiliary fan, I just want to choose an alternative route. I just wish I'd have to spend less time explaining my reasons, and more time getting answers to the original questions I asked.

Comment

Working...
                                X