an obscure strange question re: motor mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

an obscure strange question re: motor mounts

So I know my motor mounts would need to be replaced before I go out and put lots of lateral loads on them (rubber's dried out). What I'd like to know is how far the low side of the oil pan is from the steering rack with brand new preferably OEM mounts. I'd guestimate mine to be about 1/8 inch, which is much closer than my M20 sits in my other E30. I'm trying to determine how much they've collapsed without paying bma $124 for a set of new ones lol.
    Last edited by strad; 10-11-2007, 03:15 PM.
    The current fleet:
    1992 325ic: 148k-171k miles
    1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD, 114k-142k miles
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Should be around $40 for new OEM mounts from BMA, just FYI.

'88 325is
    VP UT of Austin Autoholics
    BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan325iC View Post
      Should be around $40 for new OEM mounts from BMA, just FYI.

not for the M42. they are hydraulic, so they cost a fortune. This is part of the reason I decided not to buy a beater 318is; I'd rather get one in decent shape than spend $2000 repairing a $500 car. :p
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Lol I knew going in that this was a project car and I'd be spending some money on it. That's alright -- I needed a hobby!

But does anyone have that measurement? From the top of the steering rack casing to the bottom of the right side of the oil pan right above it. Just trying to gauge whether I should buy my hose kit first (the preferred plan) or motor mounts.
        The current fleet:
        1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Comment

If you want to save $$ then read THIS thread .

You can thank me later .

Also , when I bought my 318is the mounts were so collapsed that the oilpan was actually resting on the rack .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

140k mile old engine mount on the left, new mount on the right. The passenger side mount takes the bulk of wear. Its exposed to heat from the exhaust and takes all the compression load from acceleration. The driver's side mount was in much better shape so I didn't replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
              If you want to save $$ then read THIS thread .

You can thank me later .

Also , when I bought my 318is the mounts were so collapsed that the oilpan was actually resting on the rack .
              You're right, I will thank you! Is my reading correct that I want the late E28 mounts (the green ones) and that I have to cut off a locating tab before install? Also the original writeup says use spacers on top, but one guy in the thread posted a picture of install without spacers. So I guess that works too?
              Last edited by strad; 10-12-2007, 04:14 PM.
              The current fleet:

Comment

Why not use the IE Urethane ones? They're like $40 each and you don't have to mod them. And likely never have to replace them.
                Originally posted by Gruelius
                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

You'll get more noise and vibration in the car with those mounts.

Comment

Pssh, who cares about vibration? I've got my M20 vert and soon an M52b28 coupe for smoothness! With this car I just wanna save money and keep the motor from falling out, preferably both at the same time lol. Might even M50 this car eventually -- another reason not to buy expensive M42 OEM mounts!
                    The current fleet:

Comment

Working...
                    X