M42 fail emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 fail emissions

i tested my cars emissions at school the other day, kinda like a pre test, and it had high HC's and high NOx. i noticed there is quite a bit of oil on the inside of the intake boot. my teacher told me that it is probably the PCV Valve is stuck open. i was looking for the pcv system on all data, and found nothing.

my question is; is there a pcv valve, or is there some other sort of crank case ventilation?

no, crank case vent goes back into the intake

Originally posted by vlad
    Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

is there anything to keep the oil from gitting in the intake? i ordered a new intake boot and hoses because the oil made the old ones crack. is there like a breather or something with a filter on it that i can check?

Comment

Make a simple breather, IE little cone filter on the end of the crank case vent. then plug off the intake boot nipple.

I dont think thats your problem.

Comment

my teacher was also saying it could be a possible vacuum leake. also when i rev it pretty high, like 5500, after i let off to shift it hisses like a BOV. are there and hidden vacuum lines that could be broken or damaged?

Comment

HAHAHA, TONS! There are all sorts of vaccume lines under the intake manifold, its a known problem with M42's.

Go here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

Find yer car and look at the exploaded views.

Comment

i went to realoem.com and couldnt find the exploded views. is there a link you can send me to find it. i will keep looking for an exploded view somewhere else though.

Comment

i found a diagram of the vacuum lines on the net. i also went to my brothers shop and ran the smoke machine through the intake. that made it a lot easier to find the leak. i need to replace the two intake manifold gaskets.

Comment

I just deleted the cooling plate and got rid of a bunch of hoses. I replaced both intake gaskets and they were only 7.50 each, I replaced all vacumme lines maximum 30 dollars. All my lines were cracked and broken, taped a ziptied. That could be the problem... when i put the new injctors and hoses in it ran fine

let us know if problem persists might be able to provide help

Comment

This is whats hiding under your intake.

Comment

i have the lower intake gasket, the upper is on the way. ill change them this weekend. i will have my brother order me all the vacuum lines and other hoses as well. his boss doesnt mark up prices for him or his family, so i get parts at cost. helps out a lot. i will keep you guys posted as to my progress.

Comment

Working...
                      X