iron first in a velvet glove the build of my m30b35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iron first in a velvet glove the build of my m30b35

So I've being running my m30b35 swap in my car since Jan of 2015 & loving every chance I get to get the car out of the shed to enjoy it.

I've had a back & forth with what to do next between going the route of forced induction or staying N/A. Well the decision was made easier the other day coming across itb's & an adapter plate to fit my m30.

Lets call this a slow progress log of my motor, with the plans below to be known as: The iron first in a velvet glove

new head to port & flow - picking up this weekend pulled down & ready for porting
    s54 50mm itb's with a customer adapter plate - arrival eta 2weeks now using s38b36 itb's
    294/294 Catcam - waiting at home(I've had this for near 2yrs)
    shot peened & treated rockers

To order:
    PPM 48mm intake valves
    Rocker locks
    Dual valve springs outer springs only(catcam specifications)
    Standalone ecu
    PPM H beam rods & pistons 11.0:1 comp

Being in Australia usually makes e30/older bmw build a fraction harder as its a small market but in this instance I have a benefit of Rama from RHDengineering(supplier of the bolt on m20 itb kit) being based not too far from my home. When he arrives back in Australia this August my e30 will be in to get the ecu wired up & I will be seeking his wizard skill to help with runner lengths & fine tuning the itb's.

Around compression ratio's can anyone help with ideas for rod/piston combo's to see a 10.5-1 comp ratio? I weighted up the option running s38 rods to move towards a b36 but don't want to lose the drive ability &/or send myself broke going insane on parts spending(we all know budget never work with builds though)
    Last edited by Anthony B; 10-21-2016, 04:44 PM.

Stock rods and a slight overbore was recommended to me with the stock B35 intake. 10.5 c.r. is 93 octane friendly where I live. I chose to keep the cylinder bore spacing on the conservative side for longevity and reliability. I am no engine expert but I think the stock rod ratio is pretty good. Everything is a compromise.

I can't wait to see pics.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Sounds awesome Anthony!

What are you doing for headers? Would seem a waste not to run headers with this setup.

There's an aussie guy who makes a good looking knockoff of the Fritz bitz e28 extractors, but I've not been game to buy a set incase they don't work in the e30.
      Last edited by lukeADE335i; 06-19-2016, 04:11 AM.
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Thanks Luke hopefully it all comes together easily. I'm getting a mate who is a fabricator that will be building the headers, with the potential of having them jigged up so he can make more RHD e30 m30 headers.

Picked up my head that I'll be building on Sunday just passed, after chatting to the guy who I got the head from & looking like the OEM rockers are more reliable than I thought. He is a bit of a m30 guru & gave me some great pointers(owns a e24 with lovely garret hanging off it http://racehead.com.au/bmw-m30-turbo-clasic-635/ )

Next to order:
        PPM rocker locks
        IE intake & exhaust valves
        collets & valve stem seals
        New studs for the exhaust side

Once Rama is back in Aus:
        RHDengineering dual springs
        EMU ecu & loom kit

The s54 itb's will require some modifications to get the idle control valve to work, along with the individual shafts for the throttles replaced by a single rod. On a plus each throttle has an adjuster on the shaft with 4-5mm of adjustment which in theory will lead to easier fine tuning.

Comment

if you're revving high enough to make the ITBs not pointless, you'll want HD rockers.
          cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
            if you're revving high enough to make the ITBs not pointless, you'll want HD rockers.
            That was my thoughts on it tbh, I'm hesitant on dual valve springs/high lift cam/ & more revs on factory rockers.

I'll be speaking to his friend(one of the JPS group A car builders) on his ideas around it. He only used oem rockers albeit he hand selected them for their race engines in the 635csi.

Comment

there is a bunch of threads about casting porosity in the OEM rockers you can get these days and how that's related to them failing.

having blown a number of OE rockers in a race situation, I'd go for at least the IE HD rockers.
              cars beep boop

Comment

contact metric mechanic see if they sell the good brand rockers shot peened and inspected. then set valve clearance and check religiously and you should be good. the HD rockers seem to fail to and might limit cam profiles if the pad geometry is not identical. i always wonder how good the aftermarket pads are to

why no s38 throttles might be better matched to the power goals as they are a little smaller
                Last edited by digger; 06-20-2016, 08:34 PM.
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                  why no s38 throttles might be better matched to the power goals as they are a little smaller
                  and more correctly spaced..
                  cars beep boop

Comment

contact metric mechanic see if they sell the good brand rockers shot peened and inspected. then set valve clearance and check religiously and you should be good. the HD rockers seem to fail to and might limit cam profiles if the geometry is not identical. i always wonder how good the aftermarket pads are to

Good suggestion, I'll drop MM an email.

4mm better size wise on the S38(46mm on the b36), I know it shouldn't come to this but I have lined up the s54 options for $650 with adapter plates already cut to fit the m30 or the alternative option is $1500 for s38b36 itb's with no adapters.

With tuned runner lengths, along with head work hopefully I won't lose the bottom end. Rama has said while not the most ideal sizing we should be able to fine tune the setup. The out look for pistons/compression ratios is looking like a minor stroke to 3.6L is looking like an option

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                      and more correctly spaced..
                      Yeah Good point,
                      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony B View Post
                        Good suggestion, I'll drop MM an email.

4mm better size wise on the S38(46mm on the b36), I know it shouldn't come to this but I have lined up the s54 options for $650 with adapter plates already cut to fit the m30 or the alternative option is $1500 for s38b36 itb's with no adapters.

With tuned runner lengths, along with head work hopefully I won't lose the bottom end. Rama has said while not the most ideal sizing we should be able to fine tune the setup. The out look for pistons/compression ratios is looking like a minor stroke to 3.6L is looking like an option
                        If they aren't mounted too close to the head and the overall Length is good it probably is not a bad trade off from cost point of view. Just make sure you give the runners and adapters to Rama so he can flow the system as a whole unit, because of the different spacing of adapter it can upset flow if the adapter is only a short length so they will probably need to be blended.
                        Last edited by digger; 06-20-2016, 09:04 PM.

Comment

So going to try my hand at improving the OEM cast rockers, having them crack tested & shot peened by a local engineering firm.

Comment

ive heard some like to also x-ray them to see internal casting voids to supplement the surface crack tests

Comment

ive heard some like to also x-ray them to see internal casting voids to supplement the surface crack tests
                              He will be x-raying them as part of the testing process, will be interested to see how they go. I'm pulling them from my spare head this weekend & dropping them off to him on Monday.

Currently I'm mulling the s54 vs s38b36 vs Rama's options, thinking the cheaper option with the less desirable size isn't worth the trade off. The same guy selling the s54 ones has s38b36 but are more than twice the price ~$1500

Comment

Working...
                              X